Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hot Yoga

To disable ads, please log-in.

I made it to another class tonight. I really love the girl that teaches on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. She is so positive and leaves us with things to think about in a positive way while we're practicing. Tonight it was an Eckhart Tolle quote at the end of class. The only downside is that her classes are jam-packed. Literally wall to wall hot sweaty bodies. There wasn't even a foot between my mat & my neighbor's. I don't know if I'll be able to continue if all of her classes are like that. I really enjoy a tiny bit of personal space.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Well,
    I walked out of a class tonight. First time ever. Our beloved teacher of the afternoon classes left to get a "real" job, and they have replaced her with other teachers that will not work for me. The instructor did not do anything "wrong", but when you look around the room and only half the people are with you and the other half are in child's pose, something it wrong. And there was no mindful component at all. Just really hard poses and zero warm up.

So I was going to try and stick it out and finish the last 25 mins and I just said to myself. Why? Why am I forcing myself to finish a yoga class I hate and that might actually hurt me. So I rolled up my mat and left.

There is a difference in being a good technical instructor and being a "teacher," as you, I am sure of, are well aware of. Someone who is not scanning the class, to observe how everyone is doing, is not a good "teacher." I am always intensely aware of this when I go to the gym, as well as when I've taken classes/workshops for my job. This is one of the downsides of being so tuned in to teaching practices...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

VBC, I totally understand. I am the only gringa in the practice I go to, and I find that Latin Americans and Europeans have a different need for personal space than I do. The studio is pretty huge, but without fail, the person who puts her (or very occasionally, his) mat next to mine is no more than a foot away. We do stagger them so the fronts are not all at the same spot or we'd be hitting each other constantly, but it still bugs me. I always get there early so I can get the end of the row, so at least I have someone only on one side. But because of how people place their mats, even if there is only a small group of us in the practice (3-5 plus the instructor), we're all clumped up together. It's so strange and one of the only things I don't like about the place I go. Worst part is when we are doing lying twists at the end. I don't like other people's sweaty arms or especially feet on my mat, and it's almost impossible to avoid with the way the mats are spaced. I make very sure I move far to the one side of my mat so I won't infringe on someone else's mat, but others aren't always so conscientious.

RnR, that's a real shame. Our instructor is constantly checking on student's form and assisting, and he does a good long warm-up. The only thing he doesn't do that the instructor in Belize I used to go to did, is ask at the beginning of the class if anyone has any injuries. I have had so many small injuries I always try to mention whatever it is to him before class so he won't wonder if I'm not doing something I usually do, or only doing it on one side. Sounds like you need to find another studio or time to go so that you get a different instructor. Sorry!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I've been to that class! No progression of warm-up, and most of the people just sat and bowed down (pun intended).
    So I went to class again today. I took 2 of my students ( high school seniors) to free beginner class. Before class I had a chance to talk to one of my other favorite instructors about what happened last night with the new teacher. She did not seem surprised at all. I told her that I had emailed the owner to point out that if the new teachers taking over the afternoon classes are going to push this hard, then there needs to be an alternative for the students every day. She agreed with me and said the owner had texted her today to ask if she was available for more classes.

So maybe, with a little persistence, I can get a class or two added to the afternoon. Choices....choices are good.

The good news is the beginner class was lovely and my students loved it.

RnR, that's too bad about your favorite teacher, but hopefully the owner will be responsive. Glad you and your students had a good experience at the beginner class though.

I'm not a big fan of a crowded studio either, but I figure the teachers and the owners have to eat, too, so when the class is crowded, I just let myself be glad for them and deal with having to keep my feet restrained in balancing postures.

I've been slacking off. It's that time of year when it's too cold to practice outdoors, so now I have to get over the feeling of wastefulness running the space heater for an hour to get my room warm enough to practice (and I'm talking 75° and leaving my wool on). Plus, I need to get my kite hung, I never did bother all summer long, just used one porch swing hook to invert in it and didn't do any other aerial work. Really need to work on upper back strength, and aerial is so great for that.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Skipped class today. I hate to miss on Sunday, but I only have an hour between running and yoga. I opted for food today ( see post in running thread about massive blood sugar crash). Poached eggs instead of down dog. Oh well, sometimes food wins.

Yes it does!

That brings up a question I have. Have any of you had your instructor recommend not eating before a morning yoga practice? The class I go to is from 8:30 to 10 am and is pretty intense, especially with the heat and humidity. Our instructor pretty much insists we don't eat beforehand because of some of the breathing exercises.

I get up around 6:30 am normally, and I cannot NOT eat breakfast prior to going to class. I always keep it healthy and not heavy (whole-grain cereal with fresh fruit, a few chopped walnuts, a teaspoon of chia seed on top and coffee), and I don't feel it causes me any issues during the practice (I don't have to pee or anything). If I didn't eat breakfast until after 10 am, I am not sure I could make it through practice!

Just curious how common this is.
    Last edited by emily_in_nc; 10-25-2015 at 01:55 PM.
    Emily

If it is not bothering you, I say stick with what you are doing. I need to be at least 2 hours out from class, otherwise it will threaten to come back up. Our teacher recomend 2 hours.

If it ain't broke.....

I just found out the awesome teacher who teaches my favorite yoga class is ending her teaching at the end of 2015. I'm so sad! She was the one who got me so motivated to continue to come to classes. Unfortunately she's starting her own personal business so won't be teaching any more classes anywhere. I don't know if I should go for a full membership with the studio I was attending now. She was the reason I looked forward to my classes.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Quote Originally Posted by VeganBikeChick View Post
    I just found out the awesome teacher who teaches my favorite yoga class is ending her teaching at the end of 2015. I'm so sad! She was the one who got me so motivated to continue to come to classes. Unfortunately she's starting her own personal business so won't be teaching any more classes anywhere. I don't know if I should go for a full membership with the studio I was attending now. She was the reason I looked forward to my classes.

I am right there with you in the same boat. I am floundering now trying to make things work. Mt membership is up on 12/3, so I am thinking that of some changes do not take place at the studio soon, I will leave and go back to home practice.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    If it is not bothering you, I say stick with what you are doing. I need to be at least 2 hours out from class, otherwise it will threaten to come back up. Our teacher recomend 2 hours.

If it ain't broke.....
    Yeah, that's my thinking, and I really can't "discuss" it with him since there's a significant language barrier (he's an Italian but also speaks Spanish, which is what the class is conducted in, and my Spanish is rudimentary). So, I just keep doing what I'm doing. I eat around an hour beforehand and have never had any near reversals.
    Emily

That must be really hard, Emily.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    That must be really hard, Emily.
    Do you mean the language thing? Yes, it's challenging but good for my brain since I am not working -- keeps me on my toes. :-) Before I ever dared to go, I studied up on body parts as well as yoga terms in general in Spanish, and at first I had to really watch others in the practice to make sure I was doing what the instructor said. But now I get about 80% of what he says and from context can figure out most of the rest of it. Now, on the few occasions where they brought in a different instructor, it is much harder since they don't always use the same expressions as Marco!

What is still hard is when he goes into an aside, normally after practice but occasionally during, and starts explaining something or philosophizing. It's the "off script" stuff and the casual socializing that is difficult. I've been studying Spanish for awhile, but it is a slow process. The normal cues for poses and such are repetitive and tend to be spoken more slowly, so are much easier to master.
    Emily

Yes, I am OK with rudimentary, tourist Spanish. But, whenever I need a verb (or a different tense) I cannot answer or participate in a conversation! I can usually understand through context. DH and I really want to do an immersion program for at least 2-3 weeks. But, at least I can go into a store and get by in Spanish. When we rented the apt. in Italy, I was totally illiterate and did not understand that you need to weigh your produce and put a price on it before you bring it to the cashier. The cashier started yelling at me, so i just said "No parlo Italiano," and she took me by the hand and showed me. I felt horrible. Lots of profuse "Grazie, Signora," from me!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura