Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bib shorts with zippers??

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just got these Gore bib zippety-doo capris:

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodGB_WLPOWS.html

They have two zippers on either side of your waist, intended to allow bathroom breaks without having to totally take off everything.

They literally just arrived so I've tried them on but haven't ridden in them yet, and I'm trying to decide if I'm keeping them. I tried unzipping them and find that your ability to move is very limited because the braces are still over your shoulders. I'm worried that I'll end up moving wrong and tearing them in the middle of a ride. And it feels like you'll still need to take off everything if you need to reapply chamois cream or do anything other than a quick pee.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has this type of bib shorts or tights, and if the zippers really do allow you to stay mostly clothed or if you end up ignoring them so that you can move more freely.

The long story is -- I have never wanted bib shorts, I just need a pair of capris that I can wear on long rides in the spring and fall. My old Shebeest capris were good but they're pretty worn out and Shebeest has changed their sizing which makes them no longer an option. I tried a pair of Sugoi capris but the waist is way too low and the utterly non-elastic stitching around the chamois causes chafing after about an hour. I bought a pair of Bontrager capris on sale, they developed a hole on the seam so I exchanged them, the new ones also developed a hole on the seam and more importantly their chamois also chafes after about an hour. Pearl Izumi is no good because I already know I don't like their chamois. My most comfortable shorts are Gore Oxygen, so I decided to give these Gore capris a try. The chamois is the same size and shape as the one in the Oxygen shorts but the fabric is different and the tag says it's designed for 3-hour rides, so if I want to wear them longer I figure I need to be prepared to reapply chamois cream along the way.

I also tried some Ibex capris and hated the chamois, so I ripped out the stitches and removed it. So when it's capri weather I wear them over my Gore shorts, which is okay but the elastic waistband on the capris is a bit snug so wearing two waistbands gets uncomfortable after a while. And I have to deal with two waistbands (tights plus shorts) all winter long so I'd prefer to just have a good pair of capris for spring and fall.

Anyway. Do we like the Gore zippers?

Thanks as always for your help.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Good luck! I've no experience with zippers but had really good experiences with drop-tail bibs (Pearl Izumi - which doesn't work for you). Let us know how the zipper works for you!

It pains me to say this but I really like Rapha chamois. It pains me because a) their catalog copy is SO pretentious and b) they're so expensive. The shorts are quite long (close to knee-length) and the capris are also fairly long, and the waist material is very comfortable. They are by far the most comfortable long-ride shorts and capris I have. Perfect for PNW weather, so I would think they'd work for your spring and fall weather as well. I can't do bibs because I pee more often than anyone on earth. This info is just in case you decide to give up on the bibs but are still looking for moderate/cool weather capris. I too hated the Ibex chamois in their capris, by the way.

One of my friends has some Rapha cycling clothes and I think she really likes them too. But yeah, I do need to consider price.

I think part of my issue with these bib capris is that I might be almost too tall for them -- they're not digging into my shoulders but there is a slight wedgy effect. It looks like I can get the regular non-bib version of the same capris from an LBS that's not too far away. I'll try them on again tomorrow and then decide if I'll keep them or return them and get the non-bibs instead.

Thanks!

Gone but not forgotten:

As with any chamois, everyone has different views on their relative comfort. A couple of years ago I tried some Gore Bike Wear knickers (not bibs) and the chamois was terrible for me, which I mentioned in this forum. I currently have a pair of Assos bib-knickers but since I moved to DC I have not used them much -- I go from shorts and knee warmers to long tights. Somehow, in the Chicago area, I found the knickers more versatile.

Assos has some knickers (not bibs), as do Giro and Giordana. Check Competitive Cyclist. I am currently on a Ten Speed Hero "binge", having been at the point of needing to renew my stock of shorts. They have bib knickers -- I love their bib shorts. The chamois is on the thin side, the fabrics have some heft to them. . I always use a base layer, so removing the jersey (always full zip) does not bother me as much.

Re Rapha, one of my team mates is not pleased with the fit and chamois. I was considering ordering from them for a while, but then I found TSH (plus the photography in the TSH site is very nice... the owners are all designers or photographers in Chicago. And they sponsor a couple of female cyclists.

NY, I just read an article about new women's bibs coming out, maybe in the winter? I cannot for the life of me remember which brand, but there was a Bicycling article on Facebook about testing them out. I think they had the halter style, so you could easily take the top down. I want to say maybe they are Shebeest or Sugoi, but I will try to look back and find the article. After reading it, it made me consider bibs.

ETA: Here's the link to what I think is the article:
    http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/...-gear-you-need
    Last edited by Crankin; 10-04-2015 at 04:44 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Pll, I remember that post about the Gore knickers. And I tried on some of their shorts and tights several years ago which seemed to have the same what-where-they-thinking chamois. But they've made significant changes since then. The chamois in the current Oxygen shorts is great. (I just hope they don't change it again and ruin it, though I've got three pairs now just in case.)

I tried on the bib knickers again and I think I am too tall for them. I'm 5'7" -- not that tall but not short either. They're a size M, but there's nothing on the size chart to help you figure out the if you'll be too tall for the bibs or not. Otherwise they fit fine, and I sat on my bike here in my living room and pedaled backwards to get a sense of how they might feel while riding, and the chamois shape and thickness seemed okay. So I'll order the regular non-bib version. I wish I could get them from TE, but at least I can support an LBS that's not too far from here and has a good reputation.

Thanks!!

Gone but not forgotten: