Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Searching for a road bike!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi there, ladies! I have a Trek 7.5FX hybrid and it's served me well over the past several years. I was looking for a "real" road bike in my search during 2013-2014. Then, we grew our family and cycling was pushed to the back burner, as I was pregnant and nursing and pumping around the clock. When I was looking for bikes in 2013-2014, I test rode and loved the Madone series. Well, now it looks like they discontinued that series, but for one very high-end bike. What are your thoughts on bikes with a similar feel?

About me: I do organized rides, but I ride for fun, not competition. I would eventually like to do a century ride. So far, my longest ride is 75 miles. On a hybrid, that's not easy. I'd like a true road bike for longer rides. I hate climbing. I would love a bike that could ride itself up hills. Does such a bike exist?

I am open to carbon, aluminum, whatever. I like the idea of a carbon frame, but I'm sure that an aluminum frame with a carbon fork is all that I need, given my riding style. I am not very knowledgeable about components. My friend got electronic shifters and I am definitely intrigued. But, that seems like a fancy "want" and not a "need." I would LOVE to buy a bike that is made in the USA, Canada, or Europe, to feel better about living wages and benefits being paid to the person who made my bike. But, I know that it is nearly impossible to do so with a budget under $5K.

I'd like to keep my purchase under $2,500, but if it's love, I will find a way to spend more. I am also open to purchasing a "past season" bike to save some money, since these baby people are kind of expensive to care for.

I'm looking forward to all of your advice!

I haven't been paying attention to the bikes that Trek is making these days, but maybe one of the new lines is really a Madone with another name. Since you loved the Madone before, I would ask someone who sells Treks (hopefully there's a good LBS near you that can help) what the successor to the Madone is.

FWIW, I am similar to you in the way I use a road bike -- long rides, not competitive, I used to do some centuries but these days keep things under 70 miles, I don't hate climbing but I'm slow going up hill and it will always be way in order to prevent asthma from becoming a problem when things get steep. My current bike is a mid-range Madone and I'm happy with it. The carbon frame does absorb road vibrations better than my old aluminum frame with carbon fork. Most importantly, my current bike is a good fit for me, better than my old bike was. The main drawback for the Madone is that I have to be more careful in handling the bike (putting it into the car, leaning it against something when I stop for a break) than I was with the old one because the carbon frame is less durable and more prone to cracks from impacts. I am nowhere near wanting to replace it, but if I had to I would look into steel and titanium frames in addition to carbon.

To make the hills less difficult, you'll want to look at gearing. I don't know enough about it to provide good advice, but I made sure the compact double on the current bike was sufficient to get me up the hills where I typically ride. The easiest gear is comparable to the granny gear on my old bike, which had a triple chain ring.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Look at the Trek Silque series. That is what replaced the Madone WSD bikes. They come in at many price points. I rode a 2013 Madone on a tour in Europe last fall and came back to search for a new bike that had the same geometry. It was the Silque. I am extremely happy with my bike.
    I don't know, I've had 3 carbon bikes and I am not particularly careful with them! I throw my Silque in the back of the station wagon with not much thought, except to make sure it's not on the side with the derailleur. My bike lives in a stand in a shed, and occasionally gets dinged when I take it out, but nothing bad has happened.
    Like NY, I went from a triple to a compact double, with a 32 tooth cog on the back. That gave me gearing just about equal to my triple. The cassette with a 32 is available in a road derailleur version, as opposed to my 2011 custom ti Guru, which has a 34 on the back, but it's a mountain bike rear derailleur. My guess is, next year there will be a road derailleur with a 34.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I am in the process of replacing my stolen Specialized Ruby right now. I really loved that bike but I will also be trying a Trek Silque and a Cannondale Synapse. They are all carbon frame "endurance" type road bikes- oriented for endurance rather than racing. I tried a Giant Avail but even the XS frame was too big for me without doing some significant "tweaking"- (seat post, maybe stem etc).

If you are on more of a budget, you can find aluminum frame models with the same geometry from Trek (Lexa), Specialized (Dolce) and Cannondale (Synapse, I think).

If you can afford it, carbon is more comfortable than aluminum, even with the carbon fork. When I switched from aluminum to carbon it made a big difference. I ride a lot (about 100 miles/week) but I'm slow.

Sharon
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143