Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Garmin Edge with GPS question

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm trying to find out which Edge would be best for having the round trip maps, etc. I did look at Garmin but it seems so complicated to me to find the right Edge. It is not for me but I would get it for husband. He said he wanted something that had maps, that also has the gps and that you could specify your departure point and if you got lost or hit a detour, it could take you right back to the start.

He already has a garmin (no clue for model but it is red so must be the 500 - purchased a few years ago). So I may be able to inherit his old and he gets the fancy one.

Anyone knows enough about those Garmin Edge to brighten up my lights?

Thanks.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

I have not looked at any Garmins in detail recently, but DC Rainmaker has lots of good information.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

+1 on DCRainmaker, and also take a look at the Garmin user forums. As long as you understand what you're looking at with user forums - nothing is ever perfect, and people with buggy units are a whole lot more likely to post than people with no problems - but by looking at the persistence of various threads, etc., you can get an idea of what the major problems with each model are, and how well Garmin has them solved.

The feature you're looking for is called "turn-by-turn navigation." With all the lumbopelvic improvement I've been getting recently, I'm actually kind of hopeful about getting back on the bike enough to warrant a new Garmin in the next year or so, assuming everything else stays healthy (my old 705 still works, but the processor doesn't have the power to handle modern route files) - and I'm kind of looking at the "Touring" model, the one without the fitness features. If he doesn't need heart rate or power metering, you can save a bunch of money that way.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 09-29-2015 at 12:23 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thank you. I will look it up.

He only needs the basics like speed, cadence, and kms ridden. For powerwatts, etc we use it only on the trainer and we use another software for this. HRate we have the watch (MIO) which is sufficient.

We got "lost" a few times riding and it would have been fun to get the GPS to take you back to the start. It would be nice for me to follow him on-line when he goes for a solo ride but it is not important, nor mandatory. If he is going for a 100km ride with his club, he text me when they stop so I always know he's ok.

I thought the Edge 1000 was the one to get but I don't want to spend, just to spend.

I'll go read the comments and go from there.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

I have DH's old 800 and he has the 1,000. They both have the features you are asking about.
    Sometimes mine acts wacky and starts saying things like "turn on tertiary road," but it's more a function of the person who made the route not setting the way points right, so then the guidance doesn't work correctly. I don't know how to generate route/maps, but I do download them from my clubs and others. It's a useful function. DH has a premium membership with Ride With GPS, and he uses it a lot. I don't care about downloading my data. I record miles in a training log on paper (gasp!). But, it is nice to see my ascent/descent, etc., as well as miles and average.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport