Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Dolomites 2015 photos

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I did Cinghiale Cycling Tour's Dolomites trip again this year. It was another amazing experience, and I still haven't had my fill--I'm hoping I can go back next year...

I then came home to jet lag, a new job (fabulous, but all-consuming), and home internet that was on the fritz! So I'm way behind on getting my photos together, and writing about it, but I finally got photos uploaded--they aren't as winnowed down as they should be, but I thought I'd share anyway

https://flic.kr/s/aHskmdjegC

One of the other people on the trip, who had read my blog from last year, said that despite photos and descriptions, he still wasn't prepared for how visually stunning the scenery was. I got a few decent photos, but I never would have finished each day's ride in daylight if I had stopped for all the jaw-dropping views. I highly recommend visiting the area if you can. There's breathtaking biking (the views and the grade...), hiking, skiing, or driving. It's such a special area.

My husband did the trip last year, but couldn't this year because of work. I spent a lot of the time leading up to the trip feeling conflicted about leaving him behind, and whether I should have passed that year too. But the moment we started being able to see the dramatic peaks and slopes of the mountains, a huge weight lifted. I felt even more bummed out that he couldn't do the trip with me, but even happier that I had decided to go anyway. The joy that was bubbling up in me just seeing those mountains again...

And after spending most of last year freaking out that I had bitten off more than I could chew, and worrying that I wouldn't be able to handle the difficulty of the riding, it was really nice to return knowing that while it would be the most challenging riding I would encounter on the year, it was a challenge that I could rise to.

At any rate, I will get more written up later, but here's a little taste of my summer vacation!

A couple samples:

1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

beautiful scenery, a good challenge, kindred spirits, being a happy rider......sounds perfect, well, i can see husband making it more perfect

beautiful photos on flickr, your smiles tell the story too. thanks for sharing....and is that hampsten with you in the last two photos?

congrats on the new directorship position!!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

That is Andy Hampsten that I'm standing with in the last two photos in the flickr album He does all the rides (and plus some--took off on a couple scouting loops at the top of the Passo delle Erbe while the rest of us were recovering at the top of the pass--that was probably the most the most challenging ride I've ever done, but he was still fresh as a daisy...) (One of the guides on the trip had a friend sub for him on our last day--the guy at one point asked me "how old is Andy? He's in really good shape!" Yes he is...)

Andy is a wonderful guy, really nice, a lot of fun, and beauty in motion to watch on a bicycle. His wife Elaine is also a delight, and getting to ride and hang out with her was one of the things I was looking forward to this year. Then there's our trip angel/mechanic/SAG van/delicious ride food preparer Gerardo. Here's a photo at the top of Passo delle Erbe with them--two of my favorite people!

The guides on the trip were also marvelous--I knew two of them from last year, and because it was a larger group this year, one more guy joined, Jonathon (aka "Gianone") who was a goofball fun guy (and really good at what he does). He talked me into a double espresso with VOV (egg liqueur) at our coffee stop at 10:30AM Passo delle Erbe day. That stuff sits you straight up! And I will say, I did feel pretty awesome that day...
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

Gerardo had brought up a big supply of these amazing tomatoes from Tuscany. At the rest stops, he'd slice them and rub the slices into pieces of bread (so that the tomato juices soaked into the bread), then drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt over the top. Simple, delicious ingredients, and some of the most delicious ride food I've ever had.

Then there were the fruit tarts, the Italian cookies, the fresh fruit and vegetables, and so on and so on. Not a bar or gel to be seen. It was glorious.
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic