Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: October Rides

October Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I figured I'd start this thread after having such a lovely ride this morning! We finally, finally got a "cold" front through here, and it felt so good this morning! The dewpoint was in the 60s! Now, I know that seems warm to most of you, but we've had a dewpoint of around 77-79F since arriving in Mexico in late July, so this is a welcome change. There's a touch of fall in the air, light breeze. lower humidity, and continued brilliant sunshine.

DH and I take a 20+ mile ride every Sunday morning, which is the lowest traffic day here (I won't ride on the weekdays due to all the traffic). We ride from our apartment over to the longest bike path in the area, do a couple out and backs on it, then hit Sam's Club most Sundays on the way back. Today was the same but the first time I've gotten back from a ride without DRIPPING sweat.

I took these photos last Sunday but don't think I posted them here. They show our utilitarian set-up on DH's Bike Friday with two bags and his rack. I carry a few lighter things in a small backpack but do not use a rack here, since we never need to carry that much.

Attachment 17821 Attachment 17822 Attachment 17823
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily- where are you located now?

I had two longish rides this weekend: yesterday, 56 miles and today 50. Yesterday we strung together some of the regular routes on the east side of Tucson.

The ride today was exceptional. The weather is changing here and it was a little cooler, with a front bringing some clouds in. My husband was doing a long run with a running group in the Santa Rita Mountains south of Tucson. So my friend and I hitched a ride to the parking area, which was conveniently located at 4200 feet, allowing us to start our ride with a wonderful descent down to the Santa Cruz River Valley. It was pretty much downhill all the back to Tucson, with a tail wind for 42 of the 50 miles. We ended up with an average speed of 18.5 mph at the end of northbound section, and a final average of 17.2, even after riding across the city for 8 miles. It was perfect weather- some clouds, reasonable temperatures the whole morning and we were home by 10:30 am, amazingly.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Here is my cut and pasted version that I put in the September thread... duh. I deleted it from there.
    Sharon, that ride sounds nice. I remember every fall, feeling the "change." Too bad, that in Phoenix, it's often not until the end of October! I've never been to the Santa Ritas. Tucson has much nicer scenery, closer to the city.
    I did get myself out there, but not for the 38 miles. I did do a 21 mile ride that is very pretty and goes into Westford and South Chelmsford. I've done this ride a lot in the past couple of years, but only a couple of times this year. Was not sure how to dress. It was 54 when I left, with sun going in/out of the clouds. And windy. Very gusty. It wasn't supposed to get much warmer, so I wore light weight tights because of the wind, a regular LS jersey with no thermal, sleeveless base layer and a light weight head cover, light weigh long fingered gloves, and light wind jacket. I brought regular gloves with me, though. After about 6 miles, and some climbing, I was getting warm, so I decided the best way to cool down would be to take off the head cover. It worked. The back of my knees felt a little sweaty (weird) at times, but the sun stayed in for most of the second part of the ride, so that was good. It felt like I was riding into a headwind for 3/4 of the directions, though. Kind of like an early spring ride. On part of the ride I go by the street where there's a little farm, at the end of a regular neighborhood; I used to take my kids there for pumpkins and apple picking when they were little and we had first moved here. But, since I had no place to carry anything, I didn't go there, although it's still there, after 25 years.
    Going to commute Tuesday. I haven't ridden to work in a month, due to road construction, horrible traffic, and having to get there at times when I don't want to mess with the traffic. I can ride more miles, too, if I go out early in the AM. Anyway, I have to be there at 8, so I'll leave super early, change, eat breakfast there, and enjoy the quiet.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    Emily- where are you located now?
    Playa del Carmen in Mexico's Yucatan peninsula, where we spent last winter. :-)
    Emily

I commuted yesterday, for the first time in 3-4 weeks. Left at 6:30 AM, and still hit a bit of a traffic build up going into Concord Center. However, it was uneventful, though 43 degrees . I was dressed appropriately; my new Terry commuter tights are awesomely warm. They have the same minimalist tri-type chamois as my capris, which I thankfully brought for the way home. It was about 60, and the sun was almost down, but despite having the capris, no base layer, short gloves, and thinner socks, between my thermal jersey and wind jacket, I was sweaty.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Today I sort of did a club ride. It started in the next town, so I rode, to the start, 8.2 miles. Along the way, unbeknowst to me, I picked up another rider, riding to the ride, who was drafting me . I saw him when I was entering the round a bout in Concord Center, but, when I got onto the next street, I didn't see him. That is, until I turned onto the street that gets you to the meeting place. I must admit I was going at a good pace, for me (an average over 15), but I wish people would at least ask if they can do this, becuse he scared me when I turned the corner and he was there. There was a huge group for the ride. I had made the decision to do the shorter, 27 mile ride and not go to the lunch. Indian food at noon time, on a Wednesday does not cut it for me! The longer ride is becoming a sufferfest and this is not what this group is supposed to be. I can't do 40-60 hilly miles at their pace without feeling like dying, hence my choice. As soon as I put my GPS n the route, I remembered that I have had lots of issues when I download rides. Long story short, I lost the memory card a couple of months ago, and DH replaced it with an Open Source card. It does not work, won't go into details, let's just say it was a good thing I was with this group, in my own area. We got separated at the beginning by a stoplight, but the leader waited at about mile 4 or 5. After that, it was non-eventful. I stayed at the front and did 2 turns as a human arrow. On the last one, one bitc*y woman yelled at me, that she couldn't see me, or my bike. Sure, with my my front light flashing. I may have let an F bomb out, but she was already past me. After that, I caught up with the sweep and slower people at the end, passed them, and decided to take my shortest way home. I ended up doing 30 miles, which is fine for a midweek ride.
    It was an absolutely gorgeous fall day. Chilly at first, but about 65 when I got home. So, even though I was mildly irritated about a few things, I am very glad I went.
    Last edited by Crankin; 10-07-2015 at 02:06 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    So, even though I was mildly irritated about a few things, I am very glad I went.
    LOL, this sounds like most rides I do!
    Emily

I've been there too.

Crankin, your commute the other day describes the reason I rarely wear thermal jerseys. I often need the flexibility of multiple thin layers as the day warms up (or cools down, depending on when I start). I only really need thermal tops in December -January when the sun is low in the sky and least strong. However it's the opposite for my legs and feet -- last winter I wore my AmFib tights often and rarely had warm feet when I rode. I bought some Gore booties toward the end of the season and am hoping they help this year.

Meanwhile. I did my hill ride tonight after work, just shy of 20 miles. Temps were in the high 60s and it was dark when I started. I wore a thin wool base layer with long sleeves, a short sleeved jersey and capris. I was too warm sometimes, chilly a few times and sweating almost the hole time. I guess on average I was dressed right.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    However it's the opposite for my legs and feet -- last winter I wore my AmFib tights often and rarely had warm feet when I rode. I bought some Gore booties toward the end of the season and am hoping they help this year.
    NY, my experience is that my feet need more layering before my legs do. Not as much as my dh, who has skinny feet and uses his winter bike boots year-round on cool days, but still. So I'll start using booties and even switch to winter boots before changing from regular long tights to AmFib winter tights.

Ditto with hands and upper body, but not quite as obvious, there the wind chill on my chest is more of a factor.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I have different layers of thermal jerseys, as well as some long sleeved jerseys that are just jerseys. Three kinds of base layers, too (LS,SS, sleeveless), to give me lots of choices. In a couple of weeks, when I am more used to temperatures in the 40s, I might have chosen a different jersey weight, or even a ss jersey with arm warmers and a base layer, which works at times. My issue is the first almost 2 miles of my commute is downhill, and even if I go slowly, it is freezing. I absolutely have to have warm hands and feet! I didn't wear my winter boots Tuesday, because I knew I'd be wearing capris on the way home and that would be weird, so I wore my warmest wool socks, chemical heaters, and booties. I would have worn my heated gloves, if I knew where DH put them, so I wore my Mavic thermals, with a very thin wool liner. I still can't wear my Amphib gloves, without fear of getting them caught in the shifter, which happened once, and that was enough. In retrospect, since I had bought my work clothes to work the day before, I should have brought a lighter jersey. I have not been riding my Guru with the pannier, so my little napsack can only hold so much. I need to start riding that bike again... it is lonely. Riding it up the hill, with a packed pannier just kills my back. When I move to the condo, it will be a totally flat 3 mile ride.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Did 36 miles today, most of it as part of a club ride. I rode to the start (same place as the last ride) and this time, it was the same temperature, but windy, and it did not get as warm. All I did was take my glove liners off when I got to the start. I alternated between taking off and putting on my head cover, too. Part of the ride was shady and I felt chilled, but as I peeled off from the group to go home, I did stop and put on my regular gloves and took the head cover off (again).
    It's a beautiful fall day. The colors are just starting, a bit late because of the drought and hot weather this summer. Typical AMC group, but I stayed behind the leader, who I helped train and who is now the chair of the bike committee. She rides pretty much like I do. I ignored the usual weirdos and talked with others I know, so it was nice. But, I was getting hungry, so instead of going back to the start, and then going home, I peeled off earlier. It was about 4 miles shorter than the alternative, but much hillier.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

No need for tights and thermal jerseys here! It was 65 to start this morning and over 90 (yes, the heat came back) by noon. My husband and one friend from my women's cycling group went to meet some folks planning to ride the first 2/3 of El Tour de Tucson route- and no one else showed up! So the three of us went anyway and even altering the route somewhat to follow the El Tour route more closely, we ended up with 74 miles. If we had followed the directions for the ride it would have been over 85. This was my longest ride since the spring... I'll miss at least one of the pre-El Tour century rides here.

I enjoyed it but was definitely feeling the heat by the last 10-12 miles.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    No need for tights and thermal jerseys here! .
    no need here either…..we’ve had a couple of days in the 90’s lately which is highly unusual for this time of year, actually anytime of the year. Other than commutes I rode today for the first time in a few weeks. A friend wanted to go into the santa monica mountains so I kept her company. I shouldn’t have. It was 102 at the fire station we stopped to get water at and stayed that way until we came back down to the ocean which was still in the 90’s, 98 when i got home. Lots of salted nuts/dried apricots, water both drinking and poured over us and sweat. Got home and took a shower, had an almond milk, blueberry, frozen banana, homemade protein powder and flax seed drink and haven’t moved much since. i want my normal 70 degree weather back!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Did our usual 21-mile urban and bike path ride this morning. Sunny, hot, not much wind. My lower back was barking at me a bit, but overall, it was a good ride.
    Emily

Forecast was much warmer today, although it's still windy. I am having a bad issue with watering eyes when riding in temperatures less than 60. First this was only when I skied. Then it has crept in to riding at increasingly higher temperatures. A couple of weeks ago, I had a really bad allergy attack and my left eye started tearing spontaneously, not while outside. I've been wearing my glasses more, but it doesn't seem to help. I cannot wear my glasses while doing sports. A friend had this issue and was told to stop wearing contacts or wear those old lady goggle things while she rides. Ah, no thank you. My eyes were fine in June, when I mentioned this, but I think I might have to see an ophthalmologist. It's annoying. Anyway, I went out with no particular agenda. Thought I might do the hilly ride I've been wanting to do for weeks, but my legs told me no right away. Not that any ride around here is flat. I ended up doing 27 miles into Boxborough and Stow. I knew I should avoid areas around apple farms, but I was not prepared for the the cars parked along side of the road near Shelburne Farm. It turns out the orchard is down the road from the farm, so when I thought I was avoiding the crowds, I was not. There were cars about a mile on either side of the orchard, and tons of clueless people walking along the narrow country road . Who goes apple picking in a dress and heels? OY. I was being very careful when a Stow cop who was there for crowd control started pulling out in front of me! He saw me (geez, with a flashing front light) and stopped, I said "thanks," in kind of a sarcastic way, and he started going again. This was intentional. I feel like reporting him, but it's not worth it. I knew he wouldn't hit me, but I sped up and he turned in the other direction.
    I stopped at the café 3.5 miles from home and had lunch outside. Listening to some of the conversations amused me. This place is a mecca for cyclists, but today, it was only dressed up families and people on dates. As I was leaving 2 other women pulled up on bikes, and I knew one of them, so I gave them my table. A nice ride, the leaves are getting more colorful, but I am glad DH is coming home from Japan in a couple of hours.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura