Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bike Packing Anyone?

To disable ads, please log-in.

The last year we've found ourselves doing more bike packing than bike touring. Often we are off on back roads somewhere in Idaho. I don't enjoy large group events so avoid gravel grinders - quite the fad in the Northwest at the moment. Quite a few of our customers just completed the 2015 Smoke and Fire 400 - over 400 miles all on dirt and gravel - check out there website if you are interested. We've ridden different sections of the route - be it at our own pace. This last weekend we celebrated "not going to Interbike" by taking a trip into the Owyhee desert and exploring another Cherry Stem into the Owyhee Wilderness area. Talk about some rough country - wow. We came across numerous Sage Grouse, Antelope, Deer and two herds of wild Horses. We also saw several hawks, golden eagles, a coyote, an otter and a mountain sheep. The road on Sunday certainly was a very loose definition of road. I think cobblestones would have been easier to ride. If it wasn't rocky it was pockmarked with horse hooves prints that had been made during wet season and now are as hard as concrete. While a barren landscape it has a beauty of it's own.
    We made it back to the main highway only to have our truck break down in the middle of nowhere. Had to be towed to the nearest "town" and spent the entire day on Monday waiting for repairs.
    So while not any cheaper than going to Interbike it was certainly another vivid memory
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150918_190608_resized.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	17810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150919_114531_resized.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	17811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150919_135919_resized.jpg 
Views:	559 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	17812Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150919_164515_resized.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	17813
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150918_182450_resized.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	17809  
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

a couple more photos
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150920_120806_resized.jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	17814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150919_191650_resized.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	17815
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Now THAT'S an adventure, Sky King!

I like the looks of the road in the first set of photos better than the second set...that definitely looks hard to ride even with your rugged wheels.

Sorry about the truck breaking down...ugh. Glad you had cell coverage to call for a tow, at least!

Thanks for sharing!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

we love, love our trailer. so we stayed in the trailer Friday night and then camped out Sat night. Did a loop back to the truck and tailer. all told only between 35 and 40 miles,however not the same as "road" miles. My load looks heavier than it is. I have my sleeping bag in the revelate viscasha (my saddle bag) in one pannier I have the tent (sans poles) and my inflatable sleeping pad, in the other pannier I have my clothes. In my front bag I have my food. So not that heavy. The DH carries the tent poles oh and we both carry two beers each (a priority with us) My bike is small so I can't fit a triangle bag. I actually enjoy having my panniers,they are so easy to access. I could pack way more than I do . Fall riding involves more clothes than summer riding, I ended up overpacking - as in I didn't wear everything I took
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

This looks like fun. I doubt I will ever do this kind of camping, as I haven't done "regular" camping in years, but it makes me want to do some different kinds of riding.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Four women doing their first bike packing trip. Well, really not four women on their first bike packing trip; one experienced bike packer with her 3 first timer friends;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ze7dUezgCQ