Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Advice on well-padded gloves?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm experiencing a lot of numbness in hands. Any advice on gloves that have good padding? Have just bought Giro Massa Supergel which unfortunately didn't seem too big when I ripped out the tags and wore them the first time- hello ebay - but think there must still be something out there with better padding.

I actually prefer gloves with minimal padding. My hand problems were all solved with an improved bike fit. Merely changing the tilt of the handlebars on my old road bike eliminated a fair amount of pain. Just something you might want to look into.

Good luck.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

well, when this question comes up there is usually the advice of changing the position of your hands frequently, ensuring your saddle and handlebars are adjusted correctly so that you are not holding too much weight on your hands and working on building a strong and flexible core will all allow you to put less pressure on the hands and the nerves that can cause numbness…..i always think of a quote from bernard hinault in his book about riding technique when thinking about this “your hands should be relaxed, as if you could play the piano while riding”
    If the numbness starts on the outside part of you hand it’s compression of the ulnar nerve. If it starts on the thumb/index side it’s the median carpel tunnel nerve. Spenco makes gloves specifically padded to help with compression of the median carpel tunnel nerve and the Giro Monaco has some good ulnar nerve padding....on my long rides the Monaco's are comfortable and work really well for me, especially when in the drops during a long climb. anyway, gloves can be a very individual choice....hoping you find a solution and find long rides more enjoyable!!!
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 09-21-2015 at 08:31 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Just a thought, but gloves with a lot of padding could cause the issues you describe.
    In addition to bike/bar fit, the solution might be as simple as un- padded gloves and moving your hands around.

ETA: That should have said unpadded gloves, not I-padded. I think I typed that on my phone.
    Last edited by Crankin; 09-22-2015 at 03:54 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Do the gloves have a velcro tab to close them? If they do, try not closing them. My fingers get numb if I stick the velcro down, even as wide as it will go, but are fine if I don't close them.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I'm very happy with the more padded rivendell gloves. I use less padded gloves Mtn biking.
    _________
    1996 Kona Kula-14
    2011 Surly LHT-46

Quote Originally Posted by Awsmile View Post
    I'm experiencing a lot of numbness in hands. Any advice on gloves that have good padding? Have just bought Giro Massa Supergel which unfortunately didn't seem too big when I ripped out the tags and wore them the first time- hello ebay - but think there must still be something out there with better padding.
    I had a lot of discomfort in my hands when I started out cycling after being off the bike for years. I couldn't find any gloves that had enough padding so I used a small piece of high density foam and put that in my gloves. It helped the discomfort issue, but the real problem was I had no core muscles and was holding myself up on the bike with my arms. Over time I built muscles and no longer required the foam stuck In the gloves. If your new to cycling it may be a core issue, which you will build those muscles over time. Meanwhile change your hand position often, take short breaks to give the hands a rest, get a bike fitting done just to make sure it's not a fit issue.
    No pressure No diamonds