Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Sockgate, anyone?

To disable ads, please log-in.

One of many commentaries. One of these days I hope to see that we can move beyond having to fight fight fight for this to stop.

http://singletrackworld.com/2015/09/...kgate-scandal/

nterbike Spawns Sockgate Scandal

Interbike, the largest trade only bike expo in the US, has barely made it out of the desert before it finds itself fending off a PR cock-up spawned in part by a pair of socks.

Visitors to the trade show are welcomed with a goodie bag usually packed with promotional material and trinkets from paying show partners. In this year’s goodie bag there was a pair of socks. This is not unusual and it’s been a regular PR trick of sock manufacturers over the years to deposit a single sock in the bag along with instructions to visit the manufacturers stand (booth) to collect the missing item to complete the set. This year however, the design has left some visitors not so much angry as fairly, comprehensively disappointed.
    sockgate2

Pic courtesy of Surly

For an industry packed with many individuals and manufacturers actively trying to encourage more women into cycling to redress the long standing male bias, this was a bit of a let down. Enough to spark a blog post from Surly marketing manager Christina Julian that not only expounds on the Interbike #sockgate saga but is an excellent reflection on the current state of sexism within the bike industry at large.

Julian (Jules to work colleagues and friends) describes herself in her official Surly blog bio as, “..a green-card-carrying Canadian raised on the mean streets of Dallas, TX and somehow ended up in the sweet tundra of the USA.“. She describes the sock PR stunt as, “..an antiquated marketing strategy“, going on to explain that, “Pairing your product or service with something or someone described by the herd of humanity as “sexy'” is an easy way to get attention.”

She further highlights that it’s not just this sock company that’s engaging in misguided PR at this year’s Interbike, pointing out that outdoor gear brand Chrome Industries was using topless models to hand out marketing information to trade show visitors around the show halls in Las Vegas. “..using images of women’s bodies to promote your product is not supporting anything but yourself.”, explained Julian.

Why is this such a big issue? It’s just some socks and boobs, isn’t it? To anyone who’s not clear on the reasons Julian explains with personal examples of how she has been treated throughout her career including one instance where she was sexual assaulted following a meeting. “I have been sexually assaulted after a business dinner because the Manager I was meeting with had such a good time he said.”, was one of several instances quoted in her Sockgate blog.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Yep. I wish they would confirm the manufacturer of said socks. I think (based on a discussion thread) that it's Save Our Soles - which I won't be buying again because of this anyway. *sigh* I hope that one day we can move beyond - but I'm not holding my breath!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Ugh…not cool at all!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I didn't see that style on SaveOurSoles' website (doesn't mean anything if it's a new or exclusive style for the show) ... but I did find this. http://www.sossocks.com/In-The-Mood-...urrent-itm.htm

If you don't want to click through - nude pinup, nipples and all. So whether or not the thong butts are SoS, there's already plenty of reason not to patronize them.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I think it was a special Interbike edition. There's excellent commentary coming out: dirt rag, Amanda Batty, some others..... I hope SOS loses its shorts on this as their response is reprehensible.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

inappropriate, unnecessary and just plain disrespectful and it's not only offensive, but it also makes absolutely no sense in an industry that could benefit from more women users.......thanks for posting, i have another mental file to use in an act of education about sexist marketing.

i do hope there is a backlash that causes someone to lose their marketing job.....but...
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 09-20-2015 at 12:42 AM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

and on and on it goes......specialized
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Lovely, just lovely. *sigh*

Electra Townie 7D

Oh for pity's sake. Not really surprising in today's climate, but geez.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Stupid and offensive. It made me laugh, it's so outdated.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Why is it so hard for people to respect others? Is it really that difficult? Would a female only event have socks with mostly naked men on it? Probably not.

And who okay'd this decision? It's not like a female rider is some mythical animal that comes out to these events every 7 years or something.

Have you ever looked around and noticed how many young women and girls are just used to females being considered sexual objects instead of people? It's sad.