Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks to everyone for your comments!!

We have a bike club meeting this weekend to talk about our recent century and discuss ideas for next year. I will pass along your input.

For the past two years I've helped out at the rest stop that is about 20 miles from the end for the longer routes. (There is one more stop 10 miles from the finish. Some folks skip that stop, but many are glad to take a break there because it's at the top of a hill.) Traditionally we offer tomato sandwiches (tomato slices, mayo, salt and pepper on wheat bread) and pb&j sandwiches along with fresh fruit. For beverages we have water and Gatorade. We always have ice, though I'm not sure if it's available for people to put directly in their water bottles, so I'll check on that.

This year we had a few new offerings. We had two types of tomato sandwiches, some with mayo and some made with hummus instead. We also served dill pickles which were cut into pieces and placed out in small paper cups. These were very popular. We also had a variety of small candy bars, which I think were less popular.

We had five rest stops in all and there was different food at each -- bagels, different kinds of fruit, trail mix, some stops offered sandwiches and some didn't. At the first stop we served egg muffin sandwiches and at the last stop we had Italian ices. At the post-ride picnic we had grilled hotdogs, tomato sandwiches, a variety of other sandwiches from a local Italian deli, potato chips, watermelon slices, lemonade and iced tea.

Re: fig bars -- I've never been a fan of fig newtons, but I discovered Nature's Bakery fig bars a few years ago -- in a snack vending machine in the waiting room where I get my car serviced, of all places -- and I absolutely love them.

https://naturesbakery.com/product-li...nd-whole-wheat

For a while I could only find them in vending machines and at one convenience store chain, but now they're available in grocery stores and Target. I've heard you can get them online, too. I like the blueberry and raspberry flavors the best.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Some of the best treats I've had in rest stops in long rides:
    • Roasted potatos with rosemary, olive oil and sea salt (at Rebecca's Private Idaho)
    • Plain rice, either with salt or soy sauce (at Mountains of Misery)
    • Fig spread and ham flat rolls in some sort of flat bread (at the Horribly Hilly Hundreds)

The worst I've had has been surprise creamy cheese in a sandwich.

Edited to add: small cans of coke in the later rest stops in century rides are awesome!
    Last edited by pll; 09-30-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    Smilingcat, watermelon has been on several organized rides here in Arizona. Good for a desert ride.
    on my iowa ragbrai ride the last day of the weeks ride i bought a whole cold watermelon from some children who were selling slices. I cut it in half and really enjoyed eating the heart ....great on a long hot days riding in iowa in july.

i usually don't stop at rest stops since i try to make and carry the nutrition i'll need on a ride and when stopping i like to be in a quiet spot for stretching and relaxing for a few minutes. I will stop at one to talk to someone i've met and they stop and i'll stop to get some water if needed.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

yeah but ragbrai isn't an organized ride it's a very well organized party moving across the state of iowa...at least for our 5 college and tenting woman's group.

I can see the attraction for those living in the areas to all those people riding by/filling up a town.

seriously it was one of my all time favorite adventures!!!!!! and yes """"""""PIE"""""""" and some farm homemade ice cream ftw...but most important heidi scott - and the corn women masseuses

and it's financially good for a number of the civic clubs and churches in some of the rural towns......and one minnesota bar that i remember.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 10-01-2015 at 09:07 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Yes, Ragbrai is my favorite ride just because of the many diverse food stops. My favorite food find this year was Slipstream Organics (selling yogurt, topped with your flavor of granola and blueberries. Such a luscious treat!

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    Some of the best treats I've had in rest stops in long rides:
    • Roasted potatos with rosemary, olive oil and sea salt (at Rebecca's Private Idaho)
    • Plain rice, either with salt or soy sauce (at Mountains of Misery)
    • Fig spread and ham flat rolls in some sort of flat bread (at the Horribly Hilly Hundreds)

The worst I've had has been surprise creamy cheese in a sandwich.

Edited to add: small cans of coke in the later rest stops in century rides are awesome!
    I admire your willingness to do rides with names like "Misery" and "Horribly."

Interesting comment on the cream cheese. A few weeks ago I did a search to find a recipe for roll-up sandwiches and found one that used turkey and cream cheese. I had suggested serving roll-ups at one of our rest stops next year and wanted the recipe to illustrate what I was talking about. They had turkey roll-ups (sans cream cheese) at a ride that I did last fall and I was going to do that ride again this weekend and hoped to be able to ask them if they made the sandwiches or bought them pre-made, but I had a recent change of plans so that won't be possible.

As for pie -- that's the type of thing I used to think would be too heavy to eat during a ride, but I had some during a metric last summer and it really hit the spot.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Soft cheeses are particularly treacherous! On another century ride, on a day that was nippy, they had hot potato soup at the midpoint rest stop.