Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you want at the rest stop?

To disable ads, please log-in.

If you're doing a long ride, like a metric or full century where you pay a registration fee to an organization that plans the route and offers rest stops with food and drink, what kinds of food do you like at the rest stop? Do you prefer different foods later in the ride, say 20 miles from the end, than you like at the earlier stops?

Since weather can play a role here, I'm specifically thinking of a late summer ride, when it will typically be warm to hot -- temps in the 80s at least, maybe in the 90s and humid. But it's possible that mother nature will throw a curve ball and it will actually be cooler -- 70s or even high 60s -- and rainy or cloudy. What foods would you eat regardless of the weather vs those that you prefer on a hot day or a cooler day?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Bananas, (not green!), watermelon slices, small servings of trail mix or the like, peanut butter or nutella with graham crackers or whole wheat bread, pretzels, goldfish crackers, sometimes even a few potato chips (for salt), small cookies like fig bars or soft (not crunchy) oatmeal raisin or chocolate chip, cold water and an option for an electrolyte,

I would crave the salty stuff later on. Sometimes a cold coke sounds really refreshing toward the end of the ride

Definitely not: granola bars

Some rides I've been on seem to try to be saving money on the sag stops and go for cheap, bulk packages of stuff that just isn't appealing and may not have really good ingredients (like a lot of corn syrup etc). The last ride I was on (66 miles) was $50 for the entry and there were two stops with water, bananas that were mostly not ripe, and some discount granola bars. I took the water and bananas, but skipped the granola bars- not interested in those at all!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

orange slice wedges, half banana ripe not green, small boiled red potato with skin, fig newtons (a must).
    some even offered GU (I don't like), shot blocks (I NO LIKE). If really desperate, I'll take gatorade (awful stuff). I'll take some other "advanced sports drink" with god know how to pronounce synthetic ingredients Cytomax citrus flavor was my choice of poison.

I'll pass on cookies, Oreo cookies and even granola bars.

Never had watermelon at rest stops...

Smilingcat, watermelon has been on several organized rides here in Arizona. Good for a desert ride.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Peeled hard-boiled eggs. They've been very popular on the one ride I know that offers them. Supported rides almost never offer enough protein, and I wind up having to buy my own food because of that. Plus, with a salt shaker, riders can salt them to get the salt they're not getting from the other food.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Boiled potatoes with salt---love them at ride rest stops.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Definitely things with salt if it's going to be warm out…pretzels etc. At D2R2 there were pickles/pickle juice at some of the rest stops and those were quite popular. Bananas, orange slices, etc. are always good. I've found that sweet stuff becomes somewhat less appealing the longer I ride…for example, Oreos are normally my big junk-food weakness but I recall one ride where they were available at a rest stop and I think I stopped at one, because it just wasn't what my body wanted at that point.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Bike Rides NW had the best rest stops ever! In addition to all the succulent, cold fruits, which are so welcome on a hot day, they provided things like hummus and dips w/ crackers/chips, salty nuts, boiled potatoes and salt, and, of all things, Spam! (accompanied by a new spam haiku every day). I always felt very well fueled on one of their tours.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Good, crisp apples! Also bananas. Hummus and carrots. Chips and good fresh salsa!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Fig bars, small box of natural fruit juice along the way.

Pretzels.

I will have a granola bar or a non-chewy chocolate bar if no other choice. (ie. Kit-Kat)
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Anything I don't have to chew too much. When I'm "working out" I just can't seem to chew (like bars, nuts, etc). It seems to roll into my mouth and get stuck in throat. So fruit and beverages are great. Once I'm done, most places have lunch boxes and then I can eat some. Anything will pass once I'm cooled down some and know I'm done with the ride.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

I haven't done a lot of organized rides, but most of them had terrible food for the rest stops. I am allergic to peanuts, so the one that had pbj, was a big fail for me. I like whole wheat bagels and almond butter, salty baked chips, and real food. I bring my own bars and lots of Shot Blocks to get me through, and refills of SKratch for my bottles. Hummus and crackers and fruit would be good, too.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Skagit Spring Classic out of Whatcom County had the BEST rest stop spread I've ever seen. Watermelon, oranges, cheese (several kinds) crackers, pretzels, lunch meats, bananas, boiled potatoes (love those)...can't remember what else, but it was fabulous! What I really detest is the rice crispy bars, mini-candy bars, (packaged processed) cheese/peanut butter crackers and stale energy bars that Cascade Bike Club is more and more often putting out. They have been putting out boiled eggs lately, from their sponsor Wilcox Farms, but otherwise, it is really gross processed stuff and we pay a good premium for the rides they put on. I do like a good trail mix that has a little bit of dark chocolate mixed in it and slightly salty. Fig bars are great. Pickle juice?? Hmmmmm....
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Especially on hot rides I love ICE! I know that sounds very basic, but I've been on several this year that did not have ice I could add to bottles. They'd ice down the water/Gatorade you could use to refill your bottles, but that was cold for about the first five minutes and then would warm up. I'd actually stop at convenience stores and buy ice from the fountain machine so I could half fill my bottles (ice would melt before I reached the next rest stop).

My favorite ride stops have included watermelon. It was awesome, but then again, that was another hot day. I can live with just about anything on cooler days.

As I was reading this I so wanted a like button!!! protein, protein, protein, I hate when ever support stop offers the same dang stuff with zero protein, figs are awesome as well.. I am not a banana lover - just don't sit well for me but I will accept an orange anytime.
    As my tummy is fickle with electrolytes I always carry my own. after 40 miles in hot weather I will give my soul for a cold coke. Oh and don't even start me on salted nut rolls
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com