Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Do people prefer spin or RPM?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all,

I was wondering if people prefer RPM or spin? I used to love going to spin classes at my gym, the music was really good and loud and it got you motivated but now the spin classes have been changed to RPM and the music has changed to crap music, its the same tracks over and over again and I dont seem to enjoy it much anymore. I have thought about leaving and changing my gym but its a case of finding a gym that is as good as the one I go to and I do like my gym. There only seems to be 3 spin classes a week at my gym but yet there are around 9 RPM classes a week and I dont know why this is. I went into my gym today and I asked them why there isnt many spin classes anymore but they didnt seem to know much about it. The guy said they seem to be short on spin instructors and that RPM and spin is a different instructor.

I go to spin classes mostly on a thursday evening and they used to have a good instructor but she doesnt do it anymore and a guy does it and he is no way as good. He has changed the music and its crap music and it just isnt loud enough. What would other people do if they were in my situation? I dont find RPM challenging enough like I used to find with spin. I have told this to the staff but they didnt say much. I asked for the manager to give me a call as he wasnt there.

RPM is a "canned" program, where instructors have to use the music and routines that are given to them. It takes the individuality out of indoor cycling. They tried it at my last gym, and it caused an uproar. It was thrown out after a very short time. My personal take is that gyms mandate this, to avoid instructors doing any "contraindicated" movements, as well as to even the playing field between instructors.
    I would look for another gym, or get a trainer for your bike and work out at home.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Yes I know with RPM they have to play music that they have been told to play. I think it gets changed every 3 months. I used to like RPM. The music used to be really good and even though it was the same tracks over and over I still enjoyed it but then they changed the music and the next time I went they changed the instructor and I dont find him to be very good! I have thought about changing gyms but its finding a gym to my taste, I want a gym with a spa. I am thinking of going to rpm on a different day when there might be a different instructor. I think it all depends on the instructor.