I am an experienced rider (57 yr, 150#), getting back into consistent weekly 20mi rides with friends on paved walking/biking trails- been riding now for a year. I may take bike on vacations to ride in state parks but probably not much more than hard dirt paths or pine straw paths in parks for off road. Will do some bike trips with same girl friends. We are all in 55-65 age range, in good shape.

I am seeking recommendations to narrow the field of choices. All my friends bought Trek FX 7.2-7.5 versions from LBS. They like them, but i am used to riding a vintage '85 Raleigh Marathon 12 speed road bike (has >1000mi on org equip x tires. It has been fine for me, but a little tall frame so i have a hard time standing with the crossbar (no women's versions in those days). I am concerned with my aging agility it may be a safety concern down the road in a year or two. While I like the FX series, and fitness bikes in general - I hesitate to spend close to $1k when outfitted with kickstand,fenders, rear rack, and 2 water bottle racks for the fear I may outgrown the bike if we keep riding like we are.

Any opinions/experience are welcome: fitness hybrid vs road with straight bar, not drop; disc vs linear pull breaks, gear components to avoid, and saddles . We have an upcoming 35 mile charity ride later in the fall and I'd like to have the new bike broken in before I go if possible.

I am test riding from LBS on Giant, Specialized, Trek, and maybe Fuji(crosstown w's). Hope to find a good used one, but not limiting my selection. If I happen to find a good used, what discount from MSRP should I expect 1 year, 2 year, >3 years old?

thank you