Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Anybody ridden a tandem with independent coasting system?

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, DH and I have started (very very early talking) about the possibility of a daVinci independent coasting system tandem. We want to be able to ride together more easily, and he has always been a faster/stronger rider than me, so this has been an ongoing issue for us for many years. For the most part we've adapted to our differing styles by him looping back or riding part of the way with me, then going faster/longer while I turn around and finish the ride up with fewer miles.

We have actually had three tandems over the many years we've been together. Our first was a Santana back in the early '90s. We put many happy miles on that bike but eventually sold it. We later tried a recumbent tandem (fun but way too slow on hills and bulky, difficult to store and maneuver) and even another, lighter and more expensive Santana. That one didn't work out too well as by then, I was a pretty decent cyclist in my own right and decided I didn't really care for the lack of control or view that stoking a tandem meant, and DH was so used to riding independently that he didn't care for having to call out every upcoming turn, stop, hill, etc. So, ever since selling that one (2003), we've been riding single bikes.

However, we are intrigued with the independent pedaling/coasting system of of the daVinci tandems, which might give me some of the control I crave (I could even stand and look over DH while he's seated). And with independent pedaling, he wouldn't have to call out if he wanted to stop pedaling to stretch for a minute or whatever.

Has anyone here ever ridden one, and if so, what did you think? I imagine there is somewhat of a learning curve. The testimonials on the site are of course very convincing.

This is just something we're considering exploring when we eventually come back to the US from Mexico (assuming we do).
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Sounds like something the two of you would enjoy, that’s what’s important…..well, and the stoker can feel less guilty cuz the pilot doesn’t have the resistance of their pedals. Have friends who have ridden an ics mtb tandem for a few years now and they really like it for that purpose.

….and with a bob trailer it would make for a great cross continent adventure
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    Sounds like something the two of you would enjoy, that’s what’s important…..well, and the stoker can feel less guilty cuz the pilot doesn’t have the resistance of their pedals. Have friends who have ridden an ics mtb tandem for a few years now and they really like it for that purpose.

….and with a bob trailer it would make for a great cross continent adventure
    Indeed! That's one thing we've talked about. We can't do any major touring while we still have Paisley, but DH has always, always wanted to ride cross-country, and once we have some dog-free time, so long as we are both healthy enough to do it, that would be the time for it. We did a loaded, self-supported tour on our Bike Fridays, but as usual, I kept falling behind, and even though we shifted more and more weight to DH's panniers, we were still mismatched in the very hilly upstate New York area we toured.

Thanks, RebeccaC!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow