Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Look what I found at the pawn shop!

To disable ads, please log-in.

GARY. FISHER.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gary-fisher-pawn-bike.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	17767

I'm sooo excited! I just about lost it when I saw what was on the outside rack. I've got it on layaway, it was a good price but more than I had on hand. I just hope I can get it out before summer ends!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Congrats on finding a bike. I believe it is a 2003 Tiburon.

Here is the listing at Bicycle Blue Book:

http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searc....aspx?id=91905

Keep in mind it will need some maintenance and perhaps new parts for the drivetrain and front suspension fork. Not sure how much that will cost, if you have bike experience, perhaps you can do it yourself? Parts can be costly, though.

Welcome to TE.
    Yeah, I figured derusting the gears and front suspension is within my skill set. What parts do you think it will need? Brakes looked good, seat was good, pedals turned easily, but that's about all I checked out.

There's also a Trek 7000 there, that was in good (not great) shape when I had to pawn it to them last year. Do you think that would be a safer bet for general commuting style riding?

Thanks

What parts do you think will need to be replaced? Derusting the gears and suspension are within my skill set. In hindsight I wasn't as careful as I should have been. Brakes looked good, pedals turned easily, seat was in good condition. That's about all I checked out. I'm going to go back tomorrow and look it over closer.

They also have a Trek 7000 that was in good condition when I had to pawn it to them last year. But I'm pretty sure it's had another owner in the meantime.

Oh darn :/

I'm on an extremely narrow budget right now, I wasn't seriously looking for a bike. I thought I'd found a really great steal. My budget is about $100-150 including repairs, which I know isn't really enough to get a bike that will stand up to how I ride (which isn't even much more than commuting + light and easy trail riding. I'm just super tough on equipment). I have never had much luck on craigslist, around here it's all just kids bikes.

Thank you! You've been extremely helpful!

I got the Trek 700 I'd pawned there last year instead of the Gary Fisher. It's been sitting in the shop the whole time, so it's in the same condition I left it in. A little dustier though. I've had it out for a couple short rides and everything seems to be in working order. I've got a long list of gear to get next Cage/water bottle, new saddle, a lock, new grips/tape, gloves since I can't find my old ones, oh and I need a new helmet too...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0202[1].jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	17771 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0204[1].jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	17773
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	17775  
    Last edited by Laurentide; 09-06-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Leveling out the saddle will help a lot, I think, until I can afford to replace it. But it's the first thing on the list after a helmet. It's kind of beat up anyway, and my last bike had a pretty rigid saddle I liked a lot. I've been doing a lot of searching and reading on the forum! And there's a good (Trek) LBS here and also an outlet/second hand store. ~I love to buy gearrrr!~

I'm lucky in that I'm 6 feet with long arms and legs, so I'm easier to fit than most women. I know I want to switch out the twist shifters for triggers, and I might change the bar to a drop or touring bar. Gonna measure my sitbones then take a trip to the LBS and tool around looking at stuff and getting ideas.

This is my list of things to do:

helmet (ABSOLUTELY MUST DO THIS FIRST even though its the least fun part)
    batteries in the lights/new lights
    can the saddle be tilted? otherwise new saddle
    probably need new tires too actually
    cage+waterbottle x2
    replace twist grip shifters with trigger shifters/shifer+brake combo things
    handlebar tape
    gloves
    rear rack + pack

And this week I'm going to do a complete wash and lube. Because it's gross.

(he's a Duck Toller actually )

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    You need both bar tape and grips? My Jones H Loop bars have both, but that is quite unusual. The Jones bars are funky.

What speed is the bike? 8 speed?

I'm 5'7", and yes, it's easy to find bikes that fit, I have long arms and legs, and can ride both men's and women's, typically. I wear either large or extra large women's cycling gloves, maybe a medium in mens (I have some extra size large women's, I used to like them tighter than now. Shrug). Wear size 10.5 street shoes, but in cycling shoes something like 43.5 or 44, clipping in requires toe room. I may have some extra stuff lying around that would fit you. My feet and hands are really large for my height. (My sister is 6 feet tall, and wears women's size 12 shoes, minimum). I'm the runt. The Bontrager SPD shoes I have that don't work for me are size 43, though, and a bit too small. So probably would be for you, too, unless you have very small feet and hands for your height.

My Trek 7200 is a tad on the large size. I can make it work by adjusting the adjustable stem so the bars raise up and towards the rider. I think it's a size 19 or 21, can't remember. Anyway. That's why I was asking what part of the country you are in. (I'm not far from Savannah, GA. About 50 miles). An inexpensive bike isn't worth shipping. Costs too much.

What kind of touring bars were you thinking? Drop bars would require a lot more parts and money.
    Either grips or tape. I really hate grips, and much prefer tape. But I have to replace the twist shifters with triggers before it's worth it to tape them, otherwise there's not enough bar to bother taping. The bike is 3x7, I don't know why bikepedia says 3x8. I looked in my LBS today, replacing the shifters will be around $55, depending if I replace just the shifters or go to a brake/shifter combo. I think I'm going to try installing them myself, I'm pretty handy and I've got a maintenance book. But it will be a month or two before I do that, and replacing the saddle is a higher priority.

I'm in Wisconsin, near Appleton.

I was looking at something like this for touring bars: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...33_-1___204718