Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: September Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm supposed to go out for a ride tonight. The weather is beautiful. Yet I feel so lazy!

I'm working from home so to change things up I think I will ride around my neighborhood, going in circles up and down the hills. Hopefully there won't be much traffic.

I posted a long hilly ride on my club schedule for Saturday so of course now they say it will rain. But scattered light rain -- maybe we can still get some miles in. The route I planned includes 2 short cuts.

Looking ahead to the following weekend's charity ride -- the metric route is just as hilly as the one I chose not to do last weekend (and shares some of the same roads). I need to log some miles!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

OK, I am coming clean. I rode on Yom Kippur. Sat all morning in services, looking out at the most perfect weather imaginable. I could not concentrate and had a generally bad attitude that I don't usually have. Yeah, I didn't fast, either, so came home, ate lunch and did a teeny 11 mile ride, as I had a ton of paperwork to do. I felt really good after the ride, went to the store, and then settled down and did my work. The weather guy is now saying "best day ever." Rest day tomorrow, but I plan on doing at least 20 on Friday.
    I guess my list of sins for the new year has already started .
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I'm supposed to go out for a ride tonight. The weather is beautiful. Yet I feel so lazy!

I'm working from home so to change things up I think I will ride around my neighborhood, going in circles up and down the hills. Hopefully there won't be much traffic.

I posted a long hilly ride on my club schedule for Saturday so of course now they say it will rain. But scattered light rain -- maybe we can still get some miles in. The route I planned includes 2 short cuts.

Looking ahead to the following weekend's charity ride -- the metric route is just as hilly as the one I chose not to do last weekend (and shares some of the same roads). I need to log some miles!
    See, posting here is making a commitment. I hauled my butt out there and rode 20.7 miles without ever leaving my neighborhood. There's a community center at the top of a hill on the other side of the 'hood, with roads that go in a circle down the hill and back up again. So I rode over there for a warm up, then did 10 clockwise hill repeats, a brief spin around some flat roads for a break, then 10 hill repeats counter-clockwise, or maybe it was 11, I lost count. Then I rode back over to my side of the 'hood, and for one last effort I kept going past my house down the hill to the dead end and came back up again. As I turned around at the bottom there was a man standing on his front porch whistling "Pennies from Heaven." Estimated total elevation gain was about 1500 feet. My quads are feeling it. Mission accomplished!!

Riding around my neighborhood is not as nice as it used to be. Traffic is not too heavy but it's constant and most people either have no patience or are just clueless. The main through streets have bike lanes but there are many parked cars so the risk of being doored is also constant. And the squirrels are especially stupid around here, running in front of you and then stopping like they want to get run over. But tonight things went well. Perhaps we finally have enough cyclists in this area that people are more accustomed to sharing the roads. And I guess the squirrels were napping...

Gone but not forgotten:

45 miles on the north shore, starting in Topsfield, going to Ipswich Neck, and back through Rowley and one other town. A perfect blend of ocean in the beginning, rural, and semi-suburbia roads. It was very busy at first, but once we ate lunch, and got out of Ipswich, it died down, probably due to the Patriots' game. We saw house with 20 cars parked in front, so I guess lots were partying.
    This ride is pretty flat, save for 2 hills after lunch, but it did seem long for the last 10 miles. Perfect riding temperatures between 60 and 70. I was a bit nervous, as it was 35 this morning...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Possibly the best ride all month: 8 mile leisurely loop through Saguaro National Park with the super moon and eclipse. About 11 of us rode together, including my son and one of my 7th grade students who is training for El Tour de Tucson. We also saw Cassiopeia, Ursa Major (The Big Dipper), Scorpius, Sagittarius, the Hubble Space Telescope (identified with the Skyview app on my phone), as well as a baby gopher snake, a Tiger Rattlesnake, a Western Diamondback and couple of rodents (maybe a pocket mouse and kangaroo rat.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Did 58km on gravel (with rolling hills) on Saturday. The last 10km were the worst ones as I got tired but managed to nail it all, and no walking up the hills. Yeah.
    Yesterday we decided to go back and use another path (asphalt this time) but got there to a blocked entrance due to maintenance and it will reopen only in November (by then it will be too cold and probably snowing!) Deuh! So we took car and drove to a nearby city to get another path and faced to another...closed too. So we were only able to ride 13km but a very frustrating one.

But the good thing is that next spring those paths will be all freshly done, so very nice to ride on. yeah.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

I led a club ride on Saturday, 57 miles with as many hills as possible. More miles and more climbing than I've done in a while, with a strong headwind for much it. It was a good workout. I was overdressed, prepared for possible rain which didn't happen (not that I'm complaining about that.) The unneeded layers were wool so I was okay, though without the wind I probably would have been more uncomfortable. Afterwards I stopped at a deli for lunch then headed over to a bike club meeting to discuss our recent century ride. I was an hour early but feeling very sleepy so I took a quick nap in my car to pass the time.

So now I feel ready to attempt the hilly metric that I was planning to do this coming weekend. Except -- I looked at more details on the web page of the group that's organizing the ride, including rest stop information. For the metric route there is 30 miles between the first and second rest stops, with no bathrooms at the second rest stop, then 10 more miles to a stop that does have facilities. So that's 40 miles without a bathroom break and since those miles include some steep hills and 5 miles of gravel, my pace will be slower than usual. So I'd be looking at 3-4 hours without a bathroom break. Maybe that won't be a problem, but then again maybe it will and there's no way to know in advance. So most likely I will do the 45 mile route instead. It will still be a nice ride and a respectable distance. The extra miles on the longer route are like a lollipop -- out on a certain road, circle around and then come back on the same road. If I'm feeling good I can get some extra miles by making the turn from the 45 onto the metric course and then turning around early. On the other hand, we're in for heavy rain tonight and might get a tropical storm in a few days, so the weather might change my plans for me.

But I feel good about the last two rides I've done.

Gone but not forgotten:

Eh, it looks like heavy, tropical rain for about 10 days... so, I did a quick 11 mile ride at 5 AM. It was 100% humidity, which was really like fog in some places. DH drove by me, when I was half way through my ride and said my light is really, really bright.
    Glad I went. I've been sick for about a week, with a cold/viral thing. Felt good when I woke up, and not too bad during the day. Normalcy is returning.
    Not looking forward to being at the gym during the rain. I was really looking forward to getting some miles in over the next few days.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

This continues to be a Year Where Things Don't Go As Planned for me. The charity ride I was going to do this weekend has been canceled due to the weather. Even if it hadn't been canceled, I had already decided I would not go unless the chance of rain and wind dropped significantly -- I've done enough cold, wet and/or windy rides, and it would not have been worth the long drive out there.

So here are the rides I wanted to do but missed this year:

Ride to End Hunger in April - too sick to ride. This is the first time since they started this event that I was not there.
    My bike club's annual May Metric -- still too sick to ride.
    Firefighter 50 in July -- conflict with family event
    Civil War Century in September -- shortened due to rain
    Rappahannock Rough Ride -- shortened due to back pain and lack of fitness from previous canceled/shortened rides
    JCCNV Wounded Warrior ride this weekend -- canceled due to rain.
    Crop Hop scheduled for next weekend -- canceled due to problems with road conditions.

Plus there were many other weekends where I either was not able to ride at all or had to do much shorter rides than I wanted because of lingering effects of illness.

I am grateful that I have not had any serious problems, but I've been struggling with some stressful situations for a while now and being off the bike -- and completely inactive at times -- has really made things worse.

Maybe I need to learn something like knitting to fill in when I can't ride my bike (or go to the gym or for a walk).

Meanwhile I need to decide on what to do next weekend, in place of the Crop Hop. I've been planning to register for a metric century near Fredericksburg, VA. With all this rain I feel like I want a guarantee of sunshine before I commit the money, but I guess I'll roll the dice and sign up and then just keep my fingers crossed.

I'm glad Joaquin is heading out to sea, but this multi-day storm we've got now is pretty bad. The eastern shore of Maryland has been hit hard -- they actually canceled the Seagull Century this weekend -- and I hear things are really bad in South Carolina.
    Last edited by ny biker; 10-02-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Gone but not forgotten:

Yes, it does seem like they are getting socked down south. Our coastal areas are getting pretty bad winds and rain tonight and tomorrow, but it is unrelated to the hurricane. I think it will be drizzly tomorrow, so not sure what I will do. It will be dry, but cold and windy on Sunday. Since DH is leaving for Tokyo at 10:45, I will get out there, no matter what. I have a 38 mile ride I've been wanting to do, and damn it, I will do it, and treat myself to a nice lunch during the ride. We had plans to do a club ride (either 35 or 55 miles) on Columbus Day, as DH gets back on Sunday and thought it would help him get back on the right time.. The lunch party after was cancelled, and now DH says they are coming to install the counters at the condo that day. I will probably do the ride by myself, though the 55 mile version will be fast. I can do it myself, at my own speed, since it is all familiar.
    We are considering doing a metric or a century on the 17th. Haven't trained at all, but it's flat, and I am looking forward to riding in a new area.It's not supported, but it is organized. I know i can do the metric, especially with some good riding over Columbus Day weekend, but it might be crazy to try the century. On the other hand, I didn't train for the one I did, and I did fine.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

todays ride started at 65 degrees and finished 40 miles and 2:30 later at 85 degrees with low humidity. Unfortunately it won't last but it sure was a nice change from 90 degrees 70% humidity.

I expect that my Moab bike trip next week will provide more of the same.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by marni View Post
    I expect that my Moab bike trip next week will provide more of the same.
    have a great time in the moab area...i was there for a couple of days two weeks ago and luv'ed it!!!!!!!...middle 70's to around 80 and high 60's to low 70's on the island in the sky mesa top in canyon lands np....some beautiful hikes, nice riding roads and from conversations there are some amazing mb trails!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Yes, Moab should be beautiful!

Out here it's FINALLY almost cool. We rode 56 miles this morning, taking a longer, flatter route than the planned trip up Mt. Lemmon. Still got in 2000 feet of climbing but not the constant ascent we would have had. I need to get in a few more long rides as El Tour de Tucson is around the corner- 6 weeks away. Just four of us rode today - 2 other women from my group and my husband came along. And then we went out for lunch at Le Buzz, the coffee shop at where lots of cyclists go after rides. Not too hot- I only drank 2 bottles of water on the ride.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

That sounds nice, AZ.
    OMG, I see some blue sky peaking out!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Still gray here, but looking at the trees out my window I don't see much evidence of wind.

I have some reading and tutorials to do this month for work, so I will work on that today. Might do a short ride later, or not.

Gone but not forgotten: