Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: September Rides

September Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Beautiful weather to start out the month. But, heat predicted for next week...
    Did another short (10 mile) 5 AM ride today. I haven't been sleeping well, so I was half awake for the beginning. It's always so humid in the early AM, but it was also only 63. Felt strong, until right at the end when the pain of keeping up with DH got to me as I climbed the hill back to my house. He was long gone and in the house.
    Tuesdays there is a large group (extremely fast) ride that starts at 5:30 AM on the town green. We saw people riding to the ride, and then doing warm up laps around the green, when we were heading home. Amazingly, some of the riders had no front lights, when it was still fully dark out. I hope they didn't travel far like that.
    I am debating whether to do a very warm and hilly group ride tomorrow, or go see a friend from HS that's in town for coffee. I am really exhausted.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I took my bike in to get tuned up over the weekend- cranky shifting and some creaks and squeaks that I couldn't get rid of with lube- and picker her up Monday evening. It was stormy so I didn't get out again until Tuesday around 5 pm. It felt surprisingly pleasant out - the sky was overcast and temps might have been in the very high 80's. I think I only took one drink of water in 16 miles. I went out again this afternoon in similar conditions and about the same distance.

The routes were similar, just on the eastern edge of Tucson at the less urban desert edge of the city. Tonight's sunset as I rode back toward the west was spectacular. The shop did a fantastic job- replaced the chain, did a wash and lube. Apparently I spilled some electrolyte drink into the shifters which was causing part of the problem. So it was much smoother to ride.

Saturday I'm going with a friend to do a 66 mile organized ride from Willcox to the edge of the Chiracahua Mountains. The route has some great scenery, not much traffic, and one big hill in the middle (about 1000 foot climb). I'll try to get a few pics.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

We did a 44 mile ride in Little Compton, RI./ Westport, MA and environs. We used the route I am going to be using when I co-lead it in 2 weeks. This ride is an old favorite, ocean and rural views, without the crowds, as the beaches we ride by are all private beaches, so no crowds. Lamar (my friend who I am leading with in a couple of weeks) had changed the last half of the ride, to avoid some sketchy turns, which was great, but it was all a 2-5% grade, a long slog for about 15 miles. I always think this ride is flat easy, but it actually has about 1,900 feet of climbing, all after lunch. Still, we rode it kind of fast for this kind of ride.
    The day couldn't have been more perfect. Temperature 78 derees, light breeze, sunny. There was no traffic. When we were done, we cleaned up and changed and headed to Sakonnet Winery and had tapas and wine.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Crankin, your rid sounds lovely.

Yesterday, a friend and I rode the Willcox Flyer- 66 miles (actually around 64) east of Tucson. It's a beautiful route that climbs out of Willcox (3800 feet) to the little hamlet of Dos Cabezas, through desert and desert grassland, then dips down into desert grassland/ranchland to a turn around point at the turn-off to Chiracahua National Monument. The weather was very forgiving: a tropical air mass brought all day overcast with a occasional scattered droplets but no actual rain. The temperature never went above 80, mostly from 70-75 until the last half an hour or so and virtually no wind. 2500 feet of climbing, beautiful scenery, good company, and a moving average of 14.5 mph.

Today, I took one of my students and her mom through Saguaro NP on the loop road. They are training for the 40 mile distance of El Tour de Tucson in November and have never done this ride. Some walking took place on the big hill on the back side ("Cardiac Hill") but they did great, riding on hybrid/flat bar road bikes. The 12 year old never complained even though she had to walk on the steeper hills. Still a bit cool this morning though not overcast.

It's warming up and I wasted the morning doing nothing but reading the paper. Did a quick 14 mile, hilly ride, going up the steeper side of my street on the way home.
    Now, it's off to Arlington for Mexican food with DS and DIL.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Hey, it's you and me doing all the riding here Crankin!
    I was "invited" (facebook friends) to yet another Mt. Lemmon ride. They were planning to go to the very top (the observatory). I was less motivated but still got to Summerhaven. I parked at mile 0 instead of the coffee shop so I shaved 10 miles off of the ride, but not much of the climbing. 50 miles, about 6200 feet of climbing- and got an ice cream bar as my reward instead of going to the cookie cabin.

It was incredibly green above milepost 5, from all the summer rains, but I forgot my phone, and thus, my camera as well, and have no new pictures to share.

We need some of your rain, which sounds weird, since you live in the desert!
    Yeah, maybe we are the only ones posting, but I only rode 65 miles this week. Today, we rode to our new house, to take measurements. It's really only 4.5 miles, but we cannot ride our bikes the way we drive there. It's very flat, hence my fastest average this year on the way there, and on the way back, until I hit the climb up to my house. Was not feeling too good from beer, a mojito, and Mexican food last night, as well as allergies, but my riding has gotten stronger in the last 2 weeks. A measly total of 15.1 miles, but it was already 88 when we got back, so I was not sad. Spent all afternoon at Lowes, ordering almost everything for our remodeling, except for window treatments. I am wiped, and will see about commuting tomorrow.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Remember, I'm a beginning (or back to it after many years) rider so my rides aren't huge.... Did 19km with a friend yesterday (my longest on my new bike so far). Had much fun!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441755318.564396.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	17779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441755338.706524.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	17780Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441755352.227780.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	17781

We went out fairly early and went longer than we had planned. It was the perfect morning outing.

Creationsbyuli- you look SO happy in your picture! It's not at all about how far you went. You had a great time out on your bike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1441783443622.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	17782Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1441783463123.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	17783Agreed. Awesome grin, creationsbyuli!
    I started a Facebook group for cyclists in my area a few days ago and needed a good photo for the page. So for once I have a few photos from my regular commute here. Bear in mind, these are the nicest parts ;-) I didn't bother documenting the messy intersections, the roadwork etc.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I did my original loop ride, 15.2 miles this morning, before it got too hot. It was 78 out, but about 80% humidity. Thankfully, a breeze, too.
    So, I had about 2 weeks of feeling good, and after my trip to Westport Saturday, my allergies and stomach started acting up, and then my weird muscle aches start. Funny, my legs still feel strong, but this ride, although faster than I planned, didn't really feel great. I've also not been sleeping, so if I don't exercise, that won't get solved. I plan to rest again tomorrow, although if I wake up early enough, and feel OK, I might do a dawn ride. With no shower at work, commuting in these temperatures is not really fun, and it's only 10 miles round trip. I can ride more than that if I go out at 5 AM. Probably next longer ride wiill be Saturday, as weather Friday looks crappy.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Had a really nice 25 mile ride today, when we had to be out of our house for the open house. We basically did one of our flatter routes, and then rode back past our turn off for home and went to have lunch at Ferns, in Carlisle and then rode home. It was cool and rainy in the morning, was wearing arm warmers for the first 6 miles. Then the sun came out. Legs felt good and my average was up there, for a supposedly slow ride.
    Going to rain tomorrow. Boo.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Warm and sunny today. To celebrate our anniversary (which was yesterday), wer rode 50+miles on rural roads in southwest WA, out the front door. It was a nice mix of hilly and not so hilly. Absolutely beautiful country side, lots of farms. We are very fortunate to have such great cycling so close to home. Legs are tired!
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

September Rides

I puttered around on this gorgeous trail today while my daughter was at the dance studio. Perfect way to kill a couple of hours!!

Attachment 17795
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442115731.549966.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	17794  

Oops. Didn't mean to post the picture twice.