Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Different bike fit for total knee replacement?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Does anyone know of any bike fitters who specialize in fitting for those of us with artificial joints? I've got both hips and a knee, and although I don't think the hips would affect the way I ride, I'm pretty sure there might be some compensation on the knee replacement side. I've had a thorough fitting recently, but not sure how much the artificial knee was taken into account. I don't have much pain in that knee when I ride, but discomfort behind the knee which is directly proportional to how hard I'm cranking. And in Western PA, you don't ride more than a quarter mile without a good-sized hill to climb. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Awsmile, here in Seattle there are several bike fitters who are PTs. I would think a PT bike fitter could be very helpful to you.

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Awsmile, here in Seattle there are several bike fitters who are PTs. I would think a PT bike fitter could be very helpful to you.
    Yeah, we do have several with that skill set in the PNW. But she's in Western PA? Yes, I would look for a bike fitter that's also a PT.

Quote Originally Posted by Awsmile View Post
    I don't have much pain in that knee when I ride, but discomfort behind the knee which is directly proportional to how hard I'm cranking. And in Western PA, you don't ride more than a quarter mile without a good-sized hill to climb. Any thoughts? Thanks!
    I agree you may be advised to crank less hard. Not climb less but gear down to more of a sit and spin. I agree with Murien to have your PT look at the gearing.
    Last edited by Trek420; 09-02-2015 at 06:09 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I don't know that area, but I do know of a PT/bike fitter in Columbus, Ohio, which is close enough that he may know of a colleague in your area if you can't find anyone directly.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

perhaps contact UPMC in Pittsburgh for a conversation as they do clinical analyst bike fits

eta....The advantages of a program like UPMC’s is you can learn the biomechanics of how your artificial joints may be affecting your riding and personal strategies for your comfort, efficiency and power along with an optimal bike position.

….hoping you find a good solution!!!!
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 09-03-2015 at 08:21 AM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Thank you, everyone. I never even realized there would be PT bike fitters, and yes, we are close to Pittsburgh and only three hours from Columbus. Muirenn, my bike is a Cannondale Quick 4 with 3x9 Altus gearing that came with the bike. And I just realized that I said discomfort behind the knee instead of behind the kneecap. I have a bit of my own kneecap left and the discomfort is there. I'm afraid of getting into a bad habit of overpressuring the "good" (relative term) knee as the discomfort continues. I don't notice it until about 15 miles, and it lets up totally as soon as the pressure is completely off - downhill coast. At the risk of boring you all and overanalyzing, can I also say that, when I gear down and try to somewhat match my husband's cadence, I can't last and have to gear up. Is that a male/female anatomy thing? An artificial hip thing? A wimp thing? Yikes, so much to learn! Thank you for the encouragement and advice!

The cadence thing is so true. I haven't had knee surgery, but any time I start using bigger gears, my knees hurt. For 15 years I've been a "spinner," who can ride at a very high cadence, if necessary. Anything else just doesn't work for me.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

If I had to guess, I'd say shorter crank arms to put the knee through a smaller range of motion. The longer crank arms that are so common now put a knee through a tighter bend at the top of the pedal stroke.
    Queen of the sea beasts

Thanks, All. I will check out the UPMC sports center in Pgh. and try to spin more. Unfortunately, I was never a very good interval trainer or sprinter, which is what spinning is to my legs, even before hip replacement. Will work on that!

Another thought is what pedals do you have? Although my knee hasn't been replaced...yet, I do have significant problems and have had three surgeries. I was using SPDs but switched to Speedplay because they had a much larger range of float which allows me optimal positioning.
    2008 Specialized Globe Sport
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite

I use BMX pedals with Teva sticky sole shoes. I think that, with both artificial hips and a knee, I have to reduce my risk of falling as much as possible, as a fall for me would be significantly worse than for someone with their own original parts. I really like them, as I can reposition easily if necessary, and don't worry about a crisis dismount. I also was directed by a TE blog to The Flat-Pedal Revolution Manifesto as I was just getting back riding after the knee replacement, and liked what I read there. Pretty fascinating!

Muirenn, have really worked on spinning for the past weeks and you are so right. I've increased my endurance with the easier, faster spinning and definitely feel better in the knee. It's kind of "duh, why didn't I think of that?" Thanks so much for your advice - think my knee thanks you also!