No its not science fiction, its a brainchild of Elon Musk, one of the creators of Paypal, Tesla Motors, builder of S90 with "ludicrous mode of 0-60 in 2.6secods" faster than S85 "insane mode", Space-X, GigaFactory.

Anyway, they have lot of job openings. It would be really exciting to be working on program, but I just don't have what it takes anymore. Too tired to work 24/7 for someone else, work in downtown LA where commute is going to be impossible 2 hours no matter where you live... I just don't feel like being part of the rat race.

Travel time from LA to SF in a hyperloop is going to be 40 minutes or so. Departure is every ten minutes or so is what they envision. Cost to build the system from LA to SF is around $6,000 million while California Highspeed Rail system has an estimated cost of $60,000 million plus.

Why the thread? Just bit frustrated for not being part of engineering work on bleeding edge of technology to see what is possible. Farming is okay, growing vegetables and raising chicken is fun but I do miss engineering design work and working with really smart analytical people.