Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Abnormal Pap Smear

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just opened my mail and found this from my recent gyn visit:

...test(s) are back and they are ABNORMAL. Pap Smear results show some atypical changes which are mild with a negative high risk HPV (good news).

Please follow up in 6 months for a repeat Pap smear. Please call if you hAve any questions.
    ~~~~

Call if I have any questions?! It's SATURDAY! There is no one to answer the phone! What the heck are mild atypical changes!? is it usual for women to have abnormal paps that are okay?

Oh, and a couple of weeks ago I was diagnosed with multi-nodular thyroid, no big deal, but I have to go back in 6 months for that, too. And I have my 6 month follow-up to the breast biopsy that I had earlier this year scheduled.

Excuse me, but wtf!?
    Last edited by Muirenn; 08-29-2015 at 09:41 AM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Why always the weekend?? Not a doctor, but yes - you can have changes and have them turn out to be nothing. That is absolutely not unusual. You are probably in the first (or maybe last) category here: http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor...r-results.html

Definitely call on Monday to ask more, but try not to stress until then. You have had quite a year, haven't you?? Hugs!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I’ve had results saying there were abnormal squamous cells but the changes didn’t suggest that precancerous cells were present and like your letter my doctor told me to redo in 6 months and i had a negative test then…….i would think that until you can talk to someone on Monday. eta..and that they don't need a follow up for 6 months would be encouraging to me that it's something minor.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 08-30-2015 at 09:17 AM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Never understood why they don't call rather than write with results, of COURSE you'll have questions.

After my breast reduction I got a phone message when I got home from work after 5p on a Friday telling me they'd found "focal ductal hyperplasia" in my biopsy and I needed to call them to follow up. This was before the internet so I spent the weekend terrified, not knowing what that meant.

Electra Townie 7D

Ugh. Hang in there, Muirenn.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

You would think any abnormal result would initiate a phone call, but who am I to say?
    I also have the thyroid nodules. They were discovered when I went to an ENT a few years ago, for something totally different. I had thyroid ultra sounds every 6 months, then yearly for about 4 years, maybe more. Nothing changed. Last year (I see her for the bone stuff, too) she said, Someday I'll biopsy it," but she's not pushing it. At least 50% of people over 50 have this. I know you are younger, but still it's more common than we think.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said -- I agree that they should have called. I know my doctor (or his nurse) would have called. But if they just want you back in 6 months, not right away, that seems like a good sign.

Good luck!!

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

FWIW my boss had a couple abnormal results, but in the end everything was fine. You have had a stressful year. I feel your pain.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Seriously - if you received the mail on a Friday, that meant they knew Wednesday or Thursday when it was mailed and could have called! I think given the tone (come back in 6 months) it probably means low risk, and that's why they're treating it that way but you don't know that and it doesn't seem minor to you! I think medical professionals forget that while they handle hundreds of patients, you're the only patient that matters to you :-)

What an awful year for you, healing thoughts and positive vibes coming your way.

Muireen-

Thinking of you today - and hoping you have some clarification and comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Muireen-

Thinking of you today - and hoping you have some clarification and comfort.
    I suppose I need to update this, but after my initial venting, I didn't want to 'deal' with it.

Actually, I had dental surgery last Monday, including a bone graft, so I was in wonderful pain all week, and that letter on Saturday just pushed me too far.

I thought about it, and remembered that the doctor had mentioned it appeared I had some inflammation on my cervix from using a menstrual cup. The results reflect that. I actually had an appointment with her this morning, anyway, to discuss what needed to happen to get an IUD, which I'm going to have implanted. And I asked about the pap, and she explained the results. So, yeah. Probably the menstrual cup being jammed in too far.

So, more than likely, the pap is okay. Hopefully the thyroid turns out to be good, but, like Crankin, I'll have to keep an eye on it.

And the same for the 'girls.'

I hate doctors. Really. I do.

And I have an unpleasant oral surgeon story to share. But, eh, maybe later.

Thanks, all. I know I didn't update, but I did read. And it helped.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

(((((Muireen))))) Here's hoping you don't have to see any more medical professionals for a while (and that the ones you do treat you with compassion).

Glad it sounds like you got the Pap mystery figured out.
    I pretty much have forgotten about my thyroid issues. I obsessed about it for about a year or two, but mostly because I am allergic to iodine, which is the treatment for thyroid cancer. It's very treatable, but having to risk a reaction was scaring more than having a disease! I didn't even see my endo this year, as my osteoporosis improved so much with treatment, I am now off of the shots 2X a year. I guess I should call.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Glad it turned out to not be too serious.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse