Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Best Bike Shorts for 500-Mi Katy Trail Tour?

To disable ads, please log-in.

We're planning to do a round-trip ride on the Katy Trail in MO, over ~10 days to allow time for sightseeing and touristy stuff.

So an average of 50 miles/day, each day. Some days, more like 30 -- some days, more like 70.

I have pelvic nerve issues on one side due to long-ago car accident so my perpetual challenge is minimizing pain when I ride. I'm currently using a Serfas RX saddle which is about the best for me I've found so far.

Shorts-wise, I'm currently riding in Sugoi Evolutions. Don't love the leg gripper, but they're not bad.

I just tried the Desoto women's 400-mile, since DH swears by their men's 400-mile, but it's not the same short at all in the women's version. Very disappointed, not as good as the Sugois and the sizing and fit were crazy.

Would love your suggestions for best bike shorts for this kind of trip!

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Well, it's really an individual thing as far as what shorts you find most comfortable…personally, I do not like super thick/stiff chamois (Pearl Izumi, for example) and my favorite pair of shorts is one made by Endura that I got on clearance from my LBS. Not sure what the model name is, but they have yellowish stitching down the front and back.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I love my Sugoi RS Ultras. I can barely wear my Terry Bellas anymore. They changed something in the stitching of the chamois and widened it in the crotch area. Between that and my new saddle, it'snot good. Too bad, because they look good on me!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Whereas Sugoi shorts don't fit me at all. I love Gore oxygen shorts.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I've liked the Pearl Izumi PRO line--the chamois is a bit minimalist in a good sort of way--does what it needs to, without getting in the way (for me at least, as this is a highly personal thing!). As they tend to tweak things year to year, I don't know if that is still the case. But if you're getting off the bike and walking around, etc, that could be nice. I've worn regular clothes--shorts or skirt--over them often.

I also have done pretty well on bike with Castelli shorts, but they can feel a bit diaperish.

But my worst mistake was getting a pair of Rapha bibs--I find the chamois incredibly comfortable, and the fabric of the whole garment feels wonderful to me when I put it on. I love them! Which is a super bummer, because it would be a lot better for my wallet if I didn't...
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com