Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Want to add a hybrid

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello,

This is my first post. I am a runner-convert to biking. Knee surgery in May of this year had me wanting to be a little more careful with the amount of impact my soon-to-be 52 year old knees take on. My DH and I also backpack, and my running injuries took me off the trail this past year--so again, I'm trying to keep the knee impact down.

I purchased a road bike mid-summer, a Trek Lexa SC, and I really, really love riding. I would, however, like to have a more 3 season bike that I can ride, both on gravel/pavement as well as comfortably ride on the dirt roads around our rural area. I'd like something with disk brakes. I do prefer the drop handlebars of my road bike, but believe I am looking at a hybrid to meet my 3 season/dirt road/pavement needs. Here's what I have looked at in the local area:

Trek Neko
    Cannondale Althea
    Specialized Vita

If anyone has any words of wisdom--I know, ride all three--but any preferences or dislikes/likes, please let me know. Thanks!

Thank you, I appreciate the cyclocross suggestion and I will do a little more research in that area. I would like to keep my budget below $1k. I'm getting the feeling the cyclocross might tip me over that mark, but I will do some additional looking.

I'm about 5'4" @ 130 lbs. I've been reading some great remarks on Vita, too--the dealership that sells Specialized near me is the one which is the furthest from me @ about an hour+ away. So I've been leaning toward Trek and Cannondale, much more convenient if I need maintenance, etc.

Thank you!

I just bought a Hybrid. I test rode the Althea and the Neko. Really liked the Neko but in the end I settled on the Specialized Ariel Sport disc. Very happy. Loved the Trek Neko as well.

Thanks, I appreciate the responses! I considered the Ariel as well, but haven't seen much written on it.

I have to echo the cross bike recommendation. Lots of the best things about hybrids (wider tires, some can take fenders for wet weather, definitely able to handle gravel/dirt roads), but with drop bars (which I, like you, prefer). I also expect that since you are used to riding a nice road bike, you might be more comfortable on one. I am also definitely more comfortable over longer distances on one.

Salsa Vaya is a good recommendation, as are some of the bikes by Kona (the Jake line, but I don't know if they have fender mounts), Trek Crockett, Surly Straggler (I own this one) - lots of good ones out there!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Chiming in on the Surly Straggler. They are changing color again so the cool sparkle purple is going away Also a Surly Disc Trucker is amazing for what you are mentioning
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

These are great suggestions, thank you! Yes I'd like to stay under 1k.

Just a follow up, I went out to a Cannondale dealer, my Trek dealer, and the local Specialized dealer. I looked at the cyclocrosses at Specialized, but they are really a bit more than I wanted to spend. Talked with my Trek dealer and he thought, from what I described, I'd be spending more than I wanted for what I wanted to do with it. I had opportunities to try the Specialized Ariel and the Vita bikes, liked them both, and I thought if I could meld the two, they'd be perfect. The Ariel had meatier tires but it did not feel comfortable in proportion to my body. The Vita was very nice, but the tires were more road bike-ish and the dealer told me that riding on dirt roads, as I would like to be able to do would steer me toward the Ariel, not the Vita. The Vita felt more comfortable than the Ariel, but still not perfect. Both seemed well priced.

Choices, choices. Ran over to the Trek dealer, asked about the Neko SL. Had meatier tires, which I liked. Nice and light. Sat on it--and it fit like a glove. Ordered a 2016, comes in next week.

Yay!!!

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input, it helped immensely.

Mary Ann
    Last edited by mary ann; 09-03-2015 at 04:47 PM.

I picked her up today--I will take a photo and post. I took her on a maiden 12 mile ride and she really rode beautifully. Lots of fun to ride, in a different way than my Lexa (which I also love). Really happy with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	17784
    Last edited by mary ann; 09-11-2015 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added pic

Very nice. Enjoy!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Gorgeous. I almost bought the exact same one and then ended up with the Specialized Ariel Sport.

How does the Specialized ride? I did a side-by-side comparison and they seem to be a very similar cycle with many of the same components.

Thanks, I really do like her and I had a blast riding her around yesterday.