Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Forest fire smoke drifting many kms to us

To disable ads, please log-in.

This whole summer has particularily bad for drought, forest fires in British Columbia and Alberta. There are multiple forest fires every summer all over these provinces (and also in northern Ontario), but this year has been incredibly long and persistent, + burning down some people's homes.

We also have had smoky hazy days from forest fires burning in Washington state and elsewhere...we're well over 300 km. north!

I'm ok cycling for an hr. or so with a break. It has been highly unusual in our area not see bright blue skies..instead of grey smoky days for past 2 days.. We also had this problem at the beginning of Aug. Vancouver keeps on having its drought problems + forest fire smoke haze.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

You may want to restrict your activity if the air is unhealthy. We have had two days of air quality advisory and very unhealthful air warning. They said, "all to stay inside..."

I was going stir crazy because I couldn't get away from all the smoke in Portland area. And we kept our dogs inside except when they had to do their business. They were spooked with the burnt wood smelling smoky hazy air. It also made my eyes irritated. Not pleasant at all. No heavy workout.

I hope it clears up for you quick.

If the particulate count is over 100 it's particularly not smart to do stuff outside. We've been in it for over a week. I'm going bonkers.
    The EPA has a nice app "AirNow" where you can type in your zip code and get the air quality reading (US).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	17758

Name:	Capture2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	17759

We've been in 100-190 for a while now. last Friday was in the 300's. I see people out there running, cycling. They don't realize they can really damage their lungs.

Name:	Capture3.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	17760
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Haven't been on any ride beyond a noodle to downtown (4 miles) going into 3 rd week now. Glad I have a gym membership to at least get crossfit in
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com