Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Glad to read the mood swings are leveling out, those things aren't fun! Good news on learning how to knit, I hope you like it!

I had my first follow up appointment yesterday after surgery. Things are going pretty well. I asked her about bike riding and she said if I wanted I could try. If it didn't feel okay to wait a week and try again. I was sure she was gonna be like 'are you crazy, no way you cannot ride your bike!', LOL! Sooooo then comes the decision of which bike and how to set it up. I have a full suspension mountain bike and was thinking that would feel the best because those little sharp jars from bumps and pits in the road will suck. I was thinking of just going to the gym first to play around with clipping in and out on the spin bikes and just seeing how it felt. My MB is in the attic right now and I didn't want my BF to drag it down yet if things feel iffy. Any other suggestions girls?

Not suggestions necessarily but some anecdotes that might give you some ideas -- one of my friends had knee surgery last year. When he started cycling again he switched out clipless pedals for flat, to reduce the chance of falling if he was unstable. Another friend recovered from a broken femur and found she could ride her bike but had trouble getting a leg over to get on and off. She either needed something to hold onto (such as the side of a car or a fence ) or she would lay the bike down and then step over it. So in both cases small modifications made things easier for them. Also they both started with short easy rides and increased their efforts slowly, and they had friends with them in case they needed any help.

Good luck!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

CRAP! I wish someone had warned me that eating spicy food, chocolate, sugar and caffeine all at one time could induce hotflashes in women with compromised ovaries! Yikes! Never gonna do that again.

I had my hysterectomy 16 years ago, I still flash whenever I drink red wine. Very handy during all those Illinois winters I endured.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by WindingRoad View Post
    CRAP! I wish someone had warned me that eating spicy food, chocolate, sugar and caffeine all at one time could induce hotflashes in women with compromised ovaries! Yikes! Never gonna do that again.
    So we shouldn't send you a care package full of chocolate with hot peppers, right?!

Glad things are progressing - have you tried your bike yet? How are you feeling (other than when you eat all those foods....)?
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by WindingRoad View Post
    I didn't know it would do that - never noticed it myself (but I don't have any ovaries). Note to self about what NOT to give you at Christmas

Hmmmm, I managed to eat a large serving of dark chocolate habanero ice cream the other day without flashing. Amazing!

(Even if I had flashed, it would have been totally worth it!!!)
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

There's that chocolate with chili peppers in it, will definitely be avoiding that one, LOL. I did ride my bike a week ago. I really didn't have any trouble riding but apparently my skin is super reactive because I broke out in a rash for some odd reason around when my underwear are in the creases of my leg? Maybe to do with the arsenal of pain killers I took following surgery, the anesthesia, hormones? I dunno I just figured I would hike for another week then try riding again. Stupid skin. My dermatitis has been breaking out really bad too, ugh.

Emily I think ice cream is almost always totally worth it, LOL! Hence is why I better get back on my bike soon

I did do a record hike for me today since surgery, I did 9 miles on trails with my daypack

9 miles! That's great.

I get hives when my immune system is stressed, for example after I've had a bad cold, and also hormone changes seem to trigger them. Just this morning I was playing another round of "what's that red spot on my leg." So I sympathize.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Wow WindingRoad, nine miles with a pack! You're recovering quickly! Hope your skin settles down.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Nine miles!? Nicely done!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Awesome work indeed! Looking forward to our hike for my birthday next week, hopefully I won't slow you down too much :-)

My first day of training at my new job I spent sick. Today I had a day off and I have been running a fever all day. I have training the rest of this week. My BF came home sick last week and I guess I picked up what he had Sunday I was feeling pretty good aside from the sore throat I was developing. I was so wiped out from fatigue today I felt like I was back to week 3 after my surgery!

Hope you're feeling better today!