Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well I was finally assigned my surgery date which is 9/11 (ironic). Can't have any pain killers aside of Tylenol the week before. Still kinda freaking out ever so often when I think about it. Thanks for all of you kind words, they really do help. ))))TE sisters(((( I know the better shape you are in before surgery the quicker you recover. I've been trying to ride my bike more but it's getting harder everyday b/c I can't breath due to this stupid thing. Running hurts shortly afterwards. I've been walking trails and 'trotting' a bit just to get my heart rate up. We have a fitness trail at the local park I've been doing. After surgery all I can do is walk. My energy levels are so low still. I was really hoping I'd have surgery before I had to endure another cycle from hell

Recovery is 4-6 weeks but I'm told it may take more like 2-3 months to feel completely pain free. Hence is why I did turn down one of my job offers and am pursuing one which is likely to be less stressful.
    Last edited by WindingRoad; 08-24-2015 at 05:29 PM.

I know it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but FWIW my partner said a hysterectomy was the best thing that ever happened to her. The pain afterwards was nothing compared to what she had been going through for years. Good luck!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Hang in there Winding Road, it is hard to see past the surgery right now but this will pass. For me the post-op period was less painful than what came before, may it be so for you! At least you have a firm date for the surgery now.

Good luck WindingRoad. Hope the weeks before the surgery aren't too stressful physically or emotionally - that the surgery goes well and your recovery is quick!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Good news! I secured a job today. They are fine with waiting for me to recover. It takes so long with the insurance credentialing process that by the time I'm ready to work most of my credentials should be in place. It's really odd when you are told you need a hysterectomy you start wondering about children when any other time you wouldn't even think twice about it. I guess it makes it more in the forefront of my mind b/c I really want to work with kids so I've been checking out pediatric practices.

Fantastic!! Congratulations!!!

I never thought about having children until I realized that it would likely never happen, due to my age and the fact that I was no where near being in a relationship with someone to have kids with. It was a shock at first but ultimately I realized that there are many possible paths to happiness. (And medical procedures to alleviate chronic pain is an important step on most of those paths!)

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Congratulations on the new job, whooohoooo! I think that is normal about it making you think about children. I had those thoughts and I was 49 when I had my surgery!

Congratulations on the job. Meh on the insurance panels. Thankfully, working under the clinic umbrella does not require psychotherapists to do it individually. Except for Tri-Care, so I can see armed forces people. It took me 9 months to get approved, and they even wanted a copy of licensing test score!
    Thinking about kids when you know you are having this surgery is totally normal, even in people who already made the decision not to have kids independent of this. I actually know a lot of people who chose not to have kids, who work with kids or teens in various capacities.
    Last edited by Crankin; 08-27-2015 at 02:08 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Congratulations on the job - that's great that they can work with you.

I remember when my mom had her hysterectomy, I think my youngest sister was 9 or 10 at the time and she definitely had no intention of having any more children, but it was still hard on her knowing that it wouldn't be possible. I'm glad you're honoring those feelings. (((((WindingRoad)))))
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Good deal on the job!!

I remember feeling very strange about losing my "parts" at first, I was only 38 and spent a lot of time having existential conversations in my mind about what it means to be a women. I'm very glad I had the surgery, but I'm also glad I gave the circumstance the proper respect.

Electra Townie 7D

Thanks to you all again for your kind words. Today marks the official last day I will ever have a visit from Aunt Flo. There is something liberating in that :-)

Quote Originally Posted by WindingRoad View Post
    Thanks to you all again for your kind words. Today marks the official last day I will ever have a visit from Aunt Flo. There is something liberating in that :-)
    Yes it is, and I wish you the best over the coming week and may Aunt Flo leave earlier (and easier) than expected so you will have a chance to relax at least a little before the surgery!

Good luck! May it be quick and relatively painless.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Hope you're doing well and enjoying the good drugs.

Electra Townie 7D

I think my body is just trying to prove a point right now by making this last one the worst ever. Haven't been able to leave the house much b/c it's just out of control. Surgery is right around the corner now.