Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hip Flexor stretch that doesn't impact the knee?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Talk to me, IS there such a thing? I know lots of hip flexor stretches, but they ALL require quite a lot out of the knee. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Talk to me, IS there such a thing? I know lots of hip flexor stretches, but they ALL require quite a lot out of the knee. Thanks!
    I have a video that goes through a whole sun salutation with ankles crossed. Really good and interesting. I don't know the sequence by heart, but I can find it for you if you want - but I can say that upward facing dog with ankles crossed gives me BIG psoas stretch. Still might be too much lateral strain on your knee? but at least it doesn't need knee flexion.

There's that one where you lie on a table and let one leg hang off, too. (I just don't have any place I can do that one.) If it's not too much to let gravity flex your knee somewhat.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I had the lateral release so probably don't need lateral knee strain yet. I like the idea of hanging my leg off the side of the bed, that should be ok, thanks! I'm just noticing very tight flexor when I take my tiny walks outside...

Then if you can get down onto your belly, you can fold and roll up a yoga blanket or beach towel into a cylindrical bolster just wide enough to fit inside your hipbones, and do self-myofascial release of the iliacus and somewhat the psoas.

A table, picnic table without attached benches, bay window or kitchen counter is taller and more stable than a bed, to do the leg-hanging stretch. I've never been able to do that stretch off a bed, because the mattress compresses asymmetrically and I just roll off the side. A platform futon, with sides on the frame, might give enough support, but those aren't usually tall enough to get much hip extension.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 08-19-2015 at 03:57 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Then if you can get down onto your belly, you can fold and roll up a yoga blanket or beach towel into a cylindrical bolster just wide enough to fit inside your hipbones, and do self-myofascial release of the iliacus and somewhat the psoas.
    I will try that on my bed, if I can keep from twisting my knee then it should help. I wish I knew how long it will be before I can crawl around on the floor! Not only for stretches but also to block a couple completed warm wool knitted things

Thanks for the tips! I checked with my PT and, for now, the safest approach is to hang my leg off the bed, hopefully can be more aggressive soon!