Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Getting the most out of a mountain bike skills camp

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone have advice for getting the most out of a mountain bike skills camp? I'm doing a 1 day downhill camp next weekend and it's the first one I've been to in at least 5 years. I have no idea who the coaches are. I just managed to line up care for my kid and a car load of women so I'm going for it. Any thoughts on how to maximize the opportunity?

I've been to lots, and now teach one day beginner clinics. Here are my thoughts.

-First, if you aren't clear about things like suggested footwear or if your bike is set up correctly, ask ahead. Your coaches will appreciate it.

-Be prepared for a long day outdoors in the sun. Keep yourself well hydrated and fueled. Working on skills can take an incredible amount of energy, both mental and physical. You might be surprised at how much energy it takes, even if it seems like you are standing around a lot. Being well fueled helps to fight anxiety and fear, also.

-If they want you to use flat shoes, have something suitable. We had someone show up with "five finger" shoes when we requested they wear shoes for flats. <head bang>

-Can you lower your saddle? If you do not have a dropper post, make sure you have a quick release and your seat post has some room to move. 1 or 2 inches is not enough. I would think with DH bikes this is a non-issue but I could be wrong.

-Have an open mind. Be willing to try new things, even if it feels wrong or different. Breathe through anxiety: don't be afraid to take a minute if you need to.

I was always taking notes during breaks, lunch, and afterwards; that helps my learning. If your friends are going, it will be really fun together afterwards and help each other with practice.

have fun!!
    Last edited by Irulan; 08-11-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    -Be prepared for a long day outdoors in the sun. Keep yourself well hydrated and fueled.
    Yes, this - you will pile up more miles than you expected doing short laps on stuff. If you need a break to eat something - take one. No use bonking in the parking lot during the skills drills

The most important part:
    have fun!!
    It's going to be great!

gabrielle

Great tips! Thanks. I will definitely be prepared for a long day. I always carry more food than I need just in case. The camp is in the North Okanagan so it will likely be toasty and I will be armed with sunscreen. And with the gals I'll be taking along, not having fun is nearly impossible.

Which camp? I know a few of the coaches that work around parts of BC.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Make sure you ask questions on things you don't understand. You're paying them for the education. Also, don't be afraid to question if something doesn't feel right to you.

I've taken my share of clinics, and the best instructors will make you feel comfortable with them and will allow you to challenge them. Always ask why

Most importantly, have fun. That's why we're on the bikes.

So how was it?

gabrielle

Which camp? I know a few of the coaches that work around parts of BC.
    Silverstar Ladies Weekend. I've not had coaching from any of the instructors before so I'm looking forward to seeing their different styles.

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielle View Post
    So how was it?

gabrielle
    It's this coming weekend. I'll be sure to post here with my thoughts. I'm sure it will be great.

Happy to report I had a fantastic time at the clinic last weekend. My coach was Lynne Armstrong and she really helped me take my jumping to the next level. I was boosting higher and farther and feeling more confident about it than I ever have before. I wrote a blog post about it for anyone who's interested: https://imgonnatrainthistime.wordpress.com/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silver-star-jump.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	17757

Wow, look at you in the air! I'm too chicken to try that. Congrats on your bar turn, that is *so cool*.

Glad you had a good time! Sounds like it was a great deal in terms of cost, too.

gabrielle