Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Exclamation Complete N0ob (UK)

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi

Bit of back story...last time I was on a bike was about 20 years ago. It was a hire bike, my boyfriend at the time was insistent we had to go that day...they only had mens saddles left on the bikes. My body remembers that day so badly
    I grew up with girls bikes...always wanted a BMX. Always got bought the ladies/girls bikes...with the room for the basket either at the front or the back *sniff*. But the last time I was regularly riding that was about 14. I am now 37 >_<

Fast forward a bit....dumped said boyfriend, added a husband, 5 kids and a couple of clothes sizes.

My husband spent years before I met him mountain biking. He has done the West Highland Way here in Scotland on his bike and a number of other trails he has mentioned in his tales but I don't know them and can't remember. So I have good support in him in getting going with the bike and basic skills etc. He also built himself a bike, so he is good with maintenance too. He has spent a good few years off his bike so we are getting used to the bikes together, but obviously he has much more recent experience than me. He helped me choose a bike from Halfords (Carrera Vengeance). Didn't want to go OTT until I got into it and I was honestly scared after my last experience on a bike.

We went out on a 20 minute 'ride' last night, once himself had built it and once the kids had helped me re-learn how to ride a bike. Never thought I would be cheered on by my 6 year old for bike riding *shrug*.

Not all of that time was spent on the bike. Some of it was me trying to figure out how gears work. Getting up a hill. Working out whether we should turn back sooner rather than over doing it and putting me off. Him explaining that my bike is a mountain bike and that 'bumps' are 'ok' to ride over. I did go over one as well...well pleased with myself

So you wouldn't get a bet on me asking about the saddle. I am a bit sore this morning, but not enough for it to put me off. I am actually desperate for himself to get home from work so we can go another run. I really enjoyed it. I got back the fun aspect I had as a kid when riding.

I know its not going to be comfortable to start with. I knew it was going to be uncomfortable as soon as I sat on the bike. Is there any advice on a time frame I should wait before looking for/into another saddle. I know there needs to be time for my backside to adjust to riding. Himself wasn't sure as his anatomy and experience is quite different.

I did pick up some padded cycling shorts (AFTER the ride...*genius*). I think they are road shorts actually. However I am not small, they make me hugely self conscious but they are very comfy just putting them on. I just don't think I could get anything baggy over the top of them.
    I hate clothes. My proportions are all over the shop. The riding should help with that of course but its getting through the beginning parts isn't it?

He is already planning trips to Grizdale and the Borders. But at the point he mentioned the West Highland way I had to reign him back a bit!

Any and all advice, stories, experiences are welcome.

I am really looking forward to being confident enough to ride with the kids (aged 3 - 16). I didn't want to get left behind when he took them out on the bikes. My youngest is getting her first bike soon (ordered with mine). She is so excited about her stabilisers

Cheers for reading this far

Hello :-)
    Sounds like you had a good experience for your "second first time on a bike' and you are lucky to have your own in house bike mechanic/coach/cheering section too! Good thinking to get padded shorts, you are smarter then me to go out and get them first thing, I waited a few months until I was sure this bike thing was gonna stick around haha! They do make a Huge difference on the bike for sure.

I was somewhat in the same boat as you, as up to this past April, I hadn't really been on any bikes to speak of since I was a kid, except around the house or maybe a spin around a campground while on vacation! am on the larger side and I pretty sure I am a sight from the rear in my own bike shorts ;-/, but to be honest, what got me going when I first started and was struggling &/or feeling self conscious and still does help me, is the UK 'This Girl Can' campaign. I stumbled across it one day online and that was it, sounds corny, but it was really inspiring to me and it helps me a lot, again, corny, but true! Since I have started cycling, I have lost weight, I feel better about myself, (am more confident wearing my bike shorts)! I'm out there "doing something" that is good for me and just for me :-)
    Good luck with your first days back in the saddle and have fun with your husband and kids & good luck to your little one with her first bike too!
    Trek 7.2 fx wsd x2

Hey steppink!

So you only started in April? I was thinking about things last night and maybe it wasn't such a good idea to start near the end of our summer holidays. But we have had so much rain here anyway its unlikely to make much difference. We just have warm rain right now
    I have seen the 'this girl can' video I think. It got shared a lot on my timeline. Think I will go find it and have another watch. We didn't end up going out last night, but I got myself a water bottle and cage and a helmet. Himself went to work on the kids bikes which were in major need of some tlc. Think I will have to take some notes from him lol

Thank you for the welcome x

Hiya Valkyrie :-)

Yes, got my bike on April 22 and went out on it on April 24, I went a whole 6 miles that first day and thought for certain that I would die right there on the side of the road from either, A. my heart exploding or B. my lungs bursting out of my chest! But I kept at it and at it and at it, I go out most days now for anywhere from 8 to 20-ish miles. I am no speed demon at all, I have a hybrid and do the best that I can and if I only feel like doing a little bit of riding, thats all I do, if I feel full of energy, I keep pedaling on! I think all the stars aligned for me as far as cycling because my bike shop guy was really nice and super patient with me and all my questions and problems at the beginning, I got the bike that is perfect for me right now and I was riding on quiet back roads all by myself, so no one to be intimidated by or to feel I couldn't keep up with, it was just me! ( I am from New York State but am in London for the summer where it can be somewhat terrifying and intimidating when I am out on my bicycle)

Just go out there and have fun on your bike, that is the main thing, enjoy it, it can be a lot of fun, either by yourself or with your family and before you know it, you will be flying down the West Highland Way with your DH!
    Trek 7.2 fx wsd x2

Cheering for you both! Have fun out there...

Welcome to Team Estrogen. The soreness might subside to tolerable levels with a couple of weeks of riding. Personally, I've had nothing but saddle troubles since I returned to cycling about ten years ago. I resorted to getting a recumbent bike (or two) which resolved most of that problem. My husband and I like to ride our tandem, so I can't switch %100 to recumbent, though. Have lots of fun riding together!

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba