Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where do your bikes live, and how do you store them?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Mine are in the garage (except the one on the trainer). The one with a kickstand is just standing around, but the others are casually leaning on anything that will support them. I found some interesting wall hooks that hold the bike by the wheel, with the tires against the wall, as if the bike is riding up (or down) the wall. I'm not sure I like this idea, so I haven't installed them yet. I want to tidy up and I'd like some ideas for cheap, efficient storage.

At the moment the household's six bikes are sort of haphazardly hanging about, but we're about to build a new shed and are planning the following: the three commuter/daily bikes parked side by side in a stable stand where it's easy to just grab your bike and go, the two mtb's and my road bike hanging on the wall on large hooks through the front wheel. In summer when we in theory at least use all of the bikes, at least two of the commuter bikes will probably move outside to live leaned against the shed wall, under my kayak and the shallow roof covering it. That will leave room to bring two of the wall bikes down into the stand.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

In the house. Either in the basement, on trainers or sometimes, in a room right beside my dining room.

And when we're traveling, they are in the motorhome once we are parked.

Never left unattended or rather, at ease of being seen. Even if they have all extra insurance (home one) on them.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Takk, lph. I just found a floor rack that I think will work fine. I thought hanging them on the wall was a good idea until I realized I would need space along the wall in order to reach them.

We have 8 bikes in the house right now, and a 9th out on loan, it's ridiculous. We are over capacity but neither of us is ready to dump any of the bikes.

We have bike racks scattered throughout the house that hold two or three. We've had the wall kinds before but I prefer the floor ones for ease of use (since we have the space). The only bike that lives in the garage is my old townie hybrid, which I'm not ready to break up with because it IS nice for a quick errands run or for commuting in the rain, but also if it were stolen it wouldn't break my heart.

I'd really strongly recommend against keeping bikes in your garage. I live in a high bike theft area (or just outside it), and 95% of the time bikes are stolen its either because they were secured when out and about with a cable lock, or because they were in the garage.

In the garden shed, which has been a bike shed since we bought this house! At one time, there were 9 bikes in there; now there are 5. DH's 3 are hung on hooks, on the right side. My 2 bikes are in floor stands. I am not tall enough to get a bike down from the hooks.
    Once the snow flies, our carbon bikes live in the house, on trainers in our loft, which has other exercise stuff up there. If we have a +35 degree day and snow free roads, we ride our titanium bikes.
    The shed has a key padlock, but our house is kind of secluded, so we often leave it unlocked if we go out for a short ride, or if DH comes home before me when I am commuting home.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks everyone. I just ordered two floor racks. I should be able to use them as work stands, too, for simple, upright jobs.

I'm not worried about the bikes in the garage. It's just off the kitchen (my avatar photo was taken from the kitchen door) and the garage door really can't be opened from the outside without the opener (which is broken).

It's the middle of July and I'm only now starting on these projects.

my road bike and TT bike hangs in one of the bedroom from their rear wheel. My TT bike is Specialized Transition Pro with Rolf Prima wheels and SRAM components. Have absolutely no desire for it to disappear thus its in upstairs bedroom. and oh my RB-1 bridgestone bike sits in a magnetic roller/trainer in the same room.

I built a stand for my trike (delta: two wheels in back one in front) so it can stand up and it stays in the garage. Too heavy and too bulky to bring in.

My sister and her husband had their bikes stolen out of the garage 20 some odd years ago. Her new husband stores his bike in the basement and it is locked up. Trek Madone so can't blame him for being paranoid about it.

In my laundry room I have an extra 7 by 10 area. I installed quick release fork mounts on the wall (I like that better than hanging by the wheel) to hang my fixie and Waterford touring bike in the back and then my commuter and Seven are leaning against opposite walls in the front and are easy to get out. The cabinets above the washer/dryer hold my riding gear and maintenance items.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

At this moment, all five of our bikes are just leaning on stuff in the basement. They actually have dedicated bike wall down there with racks and a space for gear, but due to house renovations and a kid moving back in and then out again, that wall has been taken over by stuff. We're almost done with building a shed, so I am hoping that all by the end of the summer, that wall will be clear again.
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    The Surly, which is my primary bike, lives in a corner of the kitchen where it is easily accessible and reasonably easy to bring in and out (even though I am in a second floor apartment so there is a set of outside stairs involved). The Trek is in the basement/laundry room and is kind of awkward to bring in and out because of the tight stairwell down there, but I don't ride that bike nearly as much and there is not enough room for both of them to be kept upstairs without being in the way. When I eventually buy a house, there will probably be much more convenient options for bike storage.
    Last edited by Jolt; 08-02-2015 at 01:35 PM.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I just received and assembled the two floor racks. I think they'll work out very well.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400245__400245

We currently have 14 bikes between the two of us. I can hardly say that out loud. A bunch are hanging from hooks in the garage, the TT bikes hanging in the cellar and the two trainer bikes are down there too. Yep. Lots of bikes.

Most of mine are in the garage. One is inside on a trainer. One is at an out of state friends house in her garage.

Ours sit in the "dining room" of our 650 sqft condo, we put two in the bike room but that place is chaos personified, people just open the door and shove... in order to get a bike back out is a half day endeavor.

Electra Townie 7D