Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Clipless pedals 101

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm still riding my Schwinn Hollywood, and riding happily. I'm riding 16-20 miles regularly and I've signed up for a 30-mile event at the end of September. (I'm in it for the jersey.) Have been looking at bikes and putting together a wish list. Have a day trip planned to go try out a Cross-Check and a Straggler in Grand Rapids in a few weeks. (Muirenn, you suggested the Surly bikes, and I have to admit the name alone unnerved me at first, and then intrigued me. Since then a few more people have suggested them, and now I'm very excited about the ride.)

I'm a little concerned about going to a very new bike when I'm used to a vintage one and starting with clipless pedals at the same time. My Schwinn of course has flat pedals. Would it make sense to swap out the flat pedals for clipless and start practicing on the bike I'm used to? All input gratefully accepted, please and thank you!

I think it would make more sense to accustom yourself to the new bike with flat pedals, rather than trying clipless with a vintage Schwinn. I get the feeling it's not likely that the pedal threads are the right size and the way you sit on and ride that style of bike is so different that I'm not sure it would be very useful.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Eden is right your Hollywood has a smaller diameter pedal thread, 1/2" instead of the current 9/16". There is a 9/16 to 1/2 adapter though. Since you’re comfortable on the Hollywood now you might want to get the clipping in/out into a subconscious habit on it before perhaps a falling over on a NEW bike .....nah, you won't fall over

enjoy the test ride!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Thanks, ladies. I'll shelve my worries about clipless pedals for now and try the Power Grips after I've gotten used to whichever new bike comes home with me. And thanks for the lead on the Vaya, too. That day trip to Grand Rapids is going to be a lot of fun!

just a quick note, consider calling the shops before you go. Surly and Salsa are launching the 2016 line so some 2015 sizes are out of stock. I know we have a couple "holes" in our inventory at the moment. I would enjoy owning a straggler, maybe someday
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Oh, I'll definitely call shops to confirm the Vaya before I leave. The website of a much-closer-to-home LBS stated that they carried Surly, but it turned out that they don't keep Surlys in stock but can order one "from the warehouse". First, I'm pretty sure there isn't a warehouse full of Surlys waiting around to be shipped out. Second, why would I buy a bike without trying it out first? So I started calling around, and Grand Rapids Bicycles seems to be the closest one with the Cross-Check and Straggler actually in the store.

in the salsa link muirenn provided grand rapids bicycle co is having a salsa demo day with their line of bikes this Sunday aug 2....you might call and see what sizes are going to be there
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Are you near Ypsilanti? Tree Fort Bikes has both Surly and Salsa. They have a warehouse where they store bikes so don't be put off by the hole in the wall store front. My husband has purchased 2 Surlys from them, both in stock. Certainly worth a call.

P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

I'm closer to Ypsilanti than Grand Rapids -- thanks for the tip! I must have been using an old link for Tree Fort. This means I can schedule another day trip to the Ypsi/AA area!

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I would definitely recommend calling ahead...especially if you need one of the smaller sizes, which are less likely to be in stock at a shop. And +1 on the Power Grips suggestion...they are a nice "in-between" option that keeps your feet securely on the pedals but allows you to wear whatever shoes you want (although sandals may not be comfortable for more than a quick in-town ride). This is really nice if you are going to use the bike for commuting, errands or even touring. It is also nice to not have to buy a special pair of shoes just for biking, that aren't useful for any other activity.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by ZoneFive View Post
    I'm still riding my Schwinn Hollywood, and riding happily. I'm riding 16-20 miles regularly and I've signed up for a 30-mile event at the end of September. (I'm in it for the jersey.) Have been looking at bikes and putting together a wish list. Have a day trip planned to go try out a Cross-Check and a Straggler in Grand Rapids in a few weeks. (Muirenn, you suggested the Surly bikes, and I have to admit the name alone unnerved me at first, and then intrigued me. Since then a few more people have suggested them, and now I'm very excited about the ride.)

I'm a little concerned about going to a very new bike when I'm used to a vintage one and starting with clipless pedals at the same time. My Schwinn of course has flat pedals. Would it make sense to swap out the flat pedals for clipless and start practicing on the bike I'm used to? All input gratefully accepted, please and thank you!
    How about trying BMX pedals? I love mine, with sticky-soled Tevas. I'll never ride clipless as I've got three artificial parts that would react quite differently in a fall, so can't take the chance on falling, as I ride bumpy roads. Someone on TE sent me to The Flat-Pedal Revolution Manifesto and I won't apologize for flat pedals again!

Teva no longer makes the Links. You can occasionally find leftovers on closeout. 5-10 is really the only flat sole bike shoe company out there, but skate shoes will work too.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM