Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Specialized Amira vs. Cannondale Evo vs. Trek Emonda

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone ridden these bikes? So far I've only been able to track down the Emonda in my size. I've test ridden a decent amount of other "105-level" carbon bikes and they are honestly starting to blend together to me, except for the Trek Silque, which was super twitchy up front and I hated it.

I'm beginning to think that the Amira vs. the Evo vs. the Emonda are really basically all going to be the same in terms of ride quality, with maybe only minor differences in geometry. (For instance, I know that Specialized tends to be better at dealing with small lady hands than the other brands). They all seem to be interchangeably marketed as aggressive geometry WSD carbon bikes.

Am I right to think they are mostly interchangeable? Or will these all feel super different? Does anyone have thoughts on them?

I went into the bike search leaning towards a high end aluminum like the CAAD10, which I still hope to test ride, but now I'm starting to suspect I'll wind up with a carbon bike....or maybe the CAAD10 with ultegra. I'm kind of expecting to like the Amira, the most though, since I'm upgrading from a Specialized Dolce.

I have an Amira Expert SL4, which is in Ultegra. I LOVE IT, but hate the zebra look but most people like it. I like a flashy coloured bike so I'm no reference when it comes to neutral looking colours. hihi. Very stable. A pedal stroke and you're gone with very little efforts (ok... some efforts). I am not afraid at all on it vs the Kuota Kharma I had no control over. Note that I have American Classic wheels on it and they too end up being a good combo vs the basic wheels that came with it (that I had bike shop keep - which reduced my price some).

I can't say for the other bikes you're looking at but the Amira should be a good option if you decide to go that way.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Wow, your experience with the Silque was twitchy? The Emonda is more of an aggressive racing geometry, so...
    My Silque is super relaxed and stable compared to my Kuota and fits like a dream. It's an endurance bike, not racing geometry. But, that's why there are so choices, so we all are pleased. I know nothing about the EVO, but the Amira also has more aggressive geometry.
    Buy what feels right.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Crankin, I know!!! I was very surprised and don't really know what to think about it. Perhaps it really wasn't a size 50 like I believed. Or maybe it was just a matter of a large smooth parking lot loop on the Emonda (will take this further before I buy it, if I buy it) versus small awkward stressful parking lot with cars. I took the Silque briefly into the neighborhood streets though and it still seemed....loose in the front. I don't really know how to describe it.

I've called about a million bike shops asking for these bikes and keep saying I'm not interested in the Ruby or the Synapse, and then I feel silly when they assume I'm racing. I'm not planning on racing (and definitely carry a good 15 pounds more than I would if I raced!) --- beyond Strava segments....but then that seems ridiculous. The Ruby (and I assume also the Synapse) feel just like a moderately smoother version of my Dolce though and that's not what I want. But maybe I don't "deserve" these aggressive bikes???

I loved my Kuota, but, it was twitchy. My Silque feels smooth. So, I was OK with the aggressive geometry, but it wasn't until I had the Madone on my bike tour in Portugal that I actually felt the difference.
    Ride as many bikes as you can.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

What I'm starting to worry about is easily-adjustable things like stem heights and stock wheels affecting my view of the bikes, though! There are so many variables that come into play.

If you've only done parking lot test rides on the Ruby, Synapse (carbon or Al), and other endurance/sportive bikes, I would take each of them out for a longer ride that involves hills. Assuming the bike shops take the time to tune the bikes to make sure they shift well and have no brake rub, you should be able to feel a difference when you accelerate and climb with these carbon bikes.

Also, if you're only 5'2", then I would think a 50 cm Trek Silque (518 ETT) is probably too big for you. Did they have the Trek Silque in a 44 or 47 for you to test ride? Could the twitchiness have been because the bike is too big or they swapped out the stem for a really short one that messed up the handling?

Yes, I am 5' 1" and the 47 cm Silque fits me perfectly. I had a shop sell me a 50 cm bike years ago. The top tube was in my crotch, but I was just too dumb to say anything. I eventually made them switch it out for a smaller frame, but I learned my lesson. They tried the stem switching thing, too, which made it all worse.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yeah, I think what away going on with the Silque is that it was too big, and they maybe even had swapped the stem out....not to my knowledge, but with the way it was handling I wouldn't be surprised. It was more "loose in the front" than twitchy, really.

I can tell a difference with the carbon endurance bikes, they are smoother than my dolce and certainly shift better, but I'm pretty dead set on getting something aggressive and responsive to help me get those Strava segments.

All I wanna do is ride fast.

Welp, I just test rode the CAAD10 and FELL IN LOVE....so all of this hemming and hawing were moot, haha. I'm sitting at home looking at my new bike right now

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    OMG congrats! Did you get the women's with 105? I want pictures!
    That's exactly what I got!!1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	17725

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Nice!

We're going to need a ride report!
    I took it out this morning for a quick spin before work. I didn't have time to properly warm up or wake up, so my times weren't quite what I was hoping for, but it was still probably my strongest solo ride (I always find a little extra trying to keep up with groups) and I still managed some PRs!

I'm in love with the bike. It's so lively and fun to ride. I was spinning up one moderate hill casually, decided to shift up and power over the rest, and it felt like the bike just JUMPED up with me - its so responsive to sprints. Definitely not as smooth as some of the carbon bikes I rode, but I prefer feeling the road (to some degree!). I do need to get the fit dialed in but I love that I am more over the bars during standing climbs, which makes them more secure. Also love shifting from the drop bars. And one time I shifted up front and I actually had to look down to see that the chain moved because the transition was so smooth.

And it's just effortless to go fast. I haven't put a computer on yet so I didn't know what I was averaging but every attempt felt so FAST even as I was still not near redlining. I was 4 seconds off one PR I was trying to beat, but I could have gone a little harder -- its going to take a little practice to learn how to harness the power of this bike because its so different from my old one.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase