Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Threaded View

Question Which TT bike seems like the better buy?

I've been doing sprint and olympic distance dus for several years...quite possibly my favorite way of combining my 2 sports. I can hold my own on the bike and it's definitely my stronger leg, but quite often I wish I had a dedicated TT bike. I can ride in the drops for a fairly long while, but after busting my right wrist in 2 spots nearly 3 years ago it gets a little achey.

Yesterday I competed in a tri/du...one of only TWO women in the oly du. Frustrating to put that kind of work in and have no competition. The woman who won was on a serious TT machine and 3.5mph faster. She's still a somewhat faster runner than I am, but she's also not lugging a spare 20#s. I know that reaching my goal weight would have me at least matching her run speed...but no way will I ever touch her on my road bike (Cannondale SuperSix).

And next year I'm seriously considering a Powerman du (10k-60k-10k). I think that would be a much more enjoyable on an actual aero bike. I'm also thinking I need to consider some local time trials. I'm about to sell my 29er, because the wrist business has made me far too gunshy to go off-road anymore (with the exception of CX).

So, I'm sorta eyeballing this Bianchi. I believe it's about a grand cheaper than a BMC I'm also considering...with very similar components (105). The primary difference appears to be aluminum frame vs. full carbon. Both have the same cheap wheels. For that $1k savings I could eventually upgrade the Bianchi's rims.

I really love the road smoothing ride of my carbon road bike. My previous bike was aluminum with carbon fork and rattled my bones. Granted, we lived with primarily chip-sealed roads at that time. I guess my biggest concern is comfort. Most TT bikes on the market appear to be carbon...would I hate the ride of aluminum, or am I better off spending the same and upgrading wheels? Could upgraded wheels even smooth a potentially harsher ride of alum. and/or make up for any added frame weight..?
    Last edited by zoom-zoom; 07-13-2015 at 07:44 PM.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2