Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

My first road bike!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I test rode a couple of road bikes this weekend. (Both Trek WSDs) Was VERY nervous as I've only ever ridden town and hybrids before. I wasn't sure about drops, narrow tyres and different gear shifts (with no dials so you can see which gear you're in!) LOL. But all was well and I found the Trek Lexa SLX very comfortable, the gears were smooth and it made me forget my fears and I came back to the LBS with a big grin on my face. I'm picking my shiny red baby up this weekend coming and having a bike fit at the same time. :-)

I won't be using clipless pedals just yet tho; the LBS advised me to get used to the feel of the bike first then come back when I was ready to try the clipless. Any advice on not falling over too many times will be very welcome!

Yay! We want pictures when you bring it home!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Congrats on your bike!
    I'd suggest putting your bike on a trainer when you get the clipless pedals, and get used to the motion of clipping in and out. Make sure you work with your LBS to find pedals that are easy to get in and out of. Some are easier than others.
    A lot of people suggest trying them out on grass first, but that seemed quite scary to me, on skinny tires. My son took me out at 6 AM on a Sunday, in our quiet neighborhood, and I was riding with the pedals in about 5 minutes. I also had been using my shoes with clipless pedals in spin class for a couple of months before this. I spent about 2 weeks riding with only one foot clipped in, on very quiet streets, and then I said, "this is stupid," and never looked back. I only had one stupid fall, but it was months after I started using the pedals.
    And, I am not that coordinated, so if I can do it, anyone can.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I didn't have a trainer so I put the bike next to the back of the couch to practice. My partner put her bike in the hallway to practice. I've had two falls since going clipless.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I promise photos when I pick it up!

That's all good advice about the clipless pedals and i shall remember it, thank you. We have a wooden fence in our back garden, I may be able to hang onto that to get the feel of clipping in and out. For the moment though I just bought some Lonsdale running shoes to cycle on flat pedals while I get the feel of the bike. Then I'll be back to the LBS to get fitted up with clipless. (gulp!)

Oh and ...er... her name will be Marilyn as she is a slightly glam sparkly red, due to my having seen a fab pic of Marilyn Monroe in a red sparkly dress LOL

Congratulations!!!

Re: pedals, also consider that some are easier to clip in and out of than others. I think that generally speaking, pedal systems that are dubbed "mountain bike" pedals are easier to clip out of than ones dubbed "road bike." But you can use "mountain bike" systems on a road bike.

For a variety of reasons, I use Speedplay Frogs--a "mountain bike" system. I have always felt securely attached to my pedals when I want to be--but I've also done emergency stops where I find myself standing with both feet on the ground with no awareness of having tried to unclip.

Anyway, ride and have fun! Yay for new bikes!
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

I use Frogs on my Guru and Speedplay X pedals on my Silque. Quite happy with both. I started with spds, but my knees felt the lack of float.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I used those clipped-feet pedals and was never comfy and fell way too many times...I'm clumpsy...what can I say!!!!

So after the last of 3 falls, which I will wear a "tattoo" on my calf for life, I decided before breaking a bone it or worse, it would be better to find a solution that is safer and better for me. So I went for a flat pedal that is not too wide/thick for a road bike that has good grip and a toe-in clip. The best of the 2 worlds for me. I'm happy and I don't care about the pressure "look of having a road bike and not clipped in like the majority or riders" of not being clipped in. My safety comes first. I have enough of controlling my bike, without controlling my feet. But that is me!

So outside I use that type of system and when on trainer I use my look keo clipped pedals as not afraid and no risks of falling with forgetting to unclip in an emergency stop.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

I'll also add that I rode in tennis shoes for about six months before getting my clip-in pedals. I waited until I could come to a stop and dismount calmly and with control, consistently (there were some interesting moments in those months!). I also worked on always dismounting with the same foot until it was automatic.
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

OK, guys, the moment has come..... time to unveil...Marilyn! :-)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marilyn n me.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	17717

Very nice bike and I love you jersey.
    Helene

Thank you, Helene. The jersey is made by Primal. They do some great designs and not just in teeny sizes.��

I know Primal...gotta a pair of shorts from them and got my hubby a cool jersey. Love their stuff.
    Helene

Nice bike kernow!

I've had SPDs and hated them. It seemed to me that the SPD cleat was such a tiny thing, aiming it into the pedal was difficult even with dozens and dozens of chances to practice every day. (They were on my commuting bike for about 10 years).
    Now I use pin platform pedals on my all purpose bike for in town use and Look Keos on my road bike. The Looks are very easy to get into, compared with the SPDS. The pin platforms give me a bit of grip and the ability to have that with any pair of shoes that has a soft sole.
    Queen of the sea beasts