Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho

Adaptive mountain biking

I had the honor the last two days to volunteer at a downhill mountain bike clinic for disabled folks at a local event called the No Barriers Summit. I have been volunteering for the cycling programs at our local adaptive sports center (and been loving it) and since the summit was local this year, was excited to help out with a bigger clinic. Look at the photo gallery at the link below. The amount of joy these folks exhibit is overwhelming. Yes, these bikes are seriously fun.

Here's the article.

That just looks so COOL. I would love to volunteer at a place like that. Because I am not smart, I didn't google the right term. But there IS actually a place called Seattle Adaptive Sports, which I just dug up after I read this post. So I can look into it!

Oh, that's wonderful. Thank you for volunteering!

The son of a friend of mine just lost his leg a few weeks ago. He was very active before the accident. Your post prompted me to look, there IS an adaptive sports organization in his area - passed the contact info on to my friend.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'm curious to hear more about what is done for adaptive mountain biking. My only experience is reading this article and seeing this awe and tear inspiring video about Marty Ashton, a peer of Danny McKaskill's, was paralyzed from the waist down in a bike accident.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/membe...-Back-on-Track
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

That is one of the most awesome things ever. I've been a fan of Tara Llanes, before and after her injury. She still rocks the bike.

2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM