DH and I went on a nice little Sunday morning ride this morning. More cars were out than we expected, but we are experienced cyclists. Unfortunately I ended up having a really close call that has me rattled still. I pulled up to a T-bone intersection and came to a stop at a traffic light, in the middle of the left turn lane, for whatever reason stopping about 10-15 feet behind the white line. (I don't know why I stopped early -- I don't think there was any real reason). I turn around to say something to DH who is pulling up to a stop behind me, hear him shout 'WHOA', and turn around to see a car making a right hand turn onto the road and flying DIRECTLY INTO THE LEFT TURN LANE. I only have time to scream, and the driver swerves back into her lane at the last second.

If I had pulled up to the white line, she would have hit me head on --- or maybe should would have seen me and would have stayed into her lane -- but she came around the turn so fast that I doubt it.

We tried to continue on with our ride. We were close to entering the park where we knew traffic would die down, and these are roads we are very familiar with - but I was too rattled, freaking out over some moderately close passes. I pulled off the road in tears and decided to just ride home.

I don't know guys. This one really got to me. We've had one really close call before, but that was the fault of both the driver and ourselves, and we learned something from it. This one I couldn't have prevented or avoided in any way, and I learned nothing from it but fear.

I bike to work, I bike for health, I bike for fun, and I do a little work for bike advocacy - but today I'm wondering if it's worth going out there and risking our lives at all.

I don't want to die and I don't want my husband to die. So many of our friends ride and its such a big part of our lives, but drivers are so irresponsible.

Not biking has risks too. I suspect I would get depressed and develop some chronic diseases. Walking might help, but then pedestrians get hit and killed by cars too.

I'm so sad and scared. When people talk about how dangerous cycling can be, I generally shrug it off and tell myself that I'm cautious, I'm experienced, I know which roads to take and how to control traffic. But this one - there was nothing I could have done.

UGH.