Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: July riding

July riding

To disable ads, please log-in.

I commuted today, at a different time than usual. It was lovely, albeit a bit more humid than predicted. I got to work so early (I had an 8 AM client), I had to unlock the doors. People are in a holiday mood, I rode home at 3:15, and was totally soaked with sweat, though it is breezy and partly cloudy.
    I've been commuting on my Silque, with a little back sack thing, mostly because I was trying to not ride my Guru with the super low gearing, before my trip. Now that that is done, I need to go back to riding the Guru, with my pannier or Arkel Trail Rider. Of course, the pedals need to be put back on the bike before that!
    Plan to do 3 days of riding this weekend. On Saturday, we are doing a ride around the Wachusett Reservoir, starting in Harvard, MA. 45 miles of hills .
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'm still on summer vacation, so riding most mornings. Yesterday was a ride up to Sabino Canyon and back, Wednesday and this morning the usual ride up to Saguaro NP and the loop road through the park. The saguaros are still fruiting and birds are all over them - surprisingly there are a few blossoms still. The monsoon rains have moderated temps a bit since the 111 degree highs we saw in late June. And no, I don't go out midday and ride in those conditions!!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

DH and I just got back from a little 16 mile loop, which we call the flat ride. Of course, it's not totally flat, because we have to get back to our house, and there are 2 other small hills. It's really nice out. We stopped at our favorite local restaurant for coffee and a bathroom break. They were closing up for the holiday, so the chef came out and talked us about cycling, as we were seated outside and drinking our iced coffees. This is what I like about living in a smaller town. He told us they open earlier 2 mornings a week for the large groups of riders that stop in there.
    Tomorrow's ride to central MA has been postponed, due to weather concerns on our friends' part (I don't really think it is going to rain here). We're going to do a local route, a club ride I've done a couple of times, with a group and with one of the guys I ride with. It's local, but pretty hilly, and since we are riding to the start, it will be 45 miles.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

It's summer in Tucson, which means a lot of rides up our mountain: Mt. Lemmon. Today it was warm (80 degrees to start) and about 45% humidity but it was overcast so that was good. I rode to the base (5 miles) and then up to milepost 9 (Seven Cataracts) - elevation gain about 2900 feet. It's always amazing how fast the descent is after the long slog uphill.

I wish I could learn to like descending. I suck at it.
    Yesterday, we did a 44 mile local ride. DH and I rode slowly to the start, about 6.5 miles. It was also cloudy and overcast here, which was good. There were several periods of sprinkles, but no full blown on rain. I had my rain jacket stuffed in my jersey pocket, which seems to superstitiously ward off any rain! We rode from Carlisle into Chelmsford, then into Westford, through an area that I used to frequent when I first moved back to MA. Also, the site of many of my first scary snow driving experiences... When DH was going down a small hill, we went over some rr tracks and his seat bag came flying off in front of me. We had to stop on a busy country road for him to retrieve it and put it back on, but, we were able to stand in someone's driveway. Then, came the climbing portion of the ride. There's a 3 part hill, about 1.5-2 miles long. It's a slog, and I had no desire to try to go fast up it. When you get to the top, you are in the town center, so we stopped on the green, and made our plans for later with our friends we were riding with; after about 6 more miles, we parted ways, as they had driven to the start and we rode home a slightly different way.
    I felt good during the ride, despite no sleep the night before. Had a good dinner at our friends' house after the ride, but I think I may rest today, although I kind of want to try out my new trail running shoes. It's going to be sunny and warm, so I am having visions of just laying out by the pond.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I brought a bike back from the UK, and picked her up today from the LBS, where she got some TLC from the stress of travel, as well as new Brooks handlebars and a double kickstand. I haven't settled on a name for her yet, but it's definitely a girl!

So, introducing my new "practical" bike ... a 2014 Bobbin Bramble. Already loving it for quick errands around the neighborhood. I'm toying with installing an e-assist on it, since it's hilly around here, it's a heavy bike and I'm terribly out of shape. And, if I can ever get DS to wear his helmet, I'll be able to tow him in a trailer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bramble2.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	17701
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

Quote Originally Posted by NbyNW View Post
    So, introducing my new "practical" bike ... a 2014 Bobbin Bramble.
    luv the bramble...great city bike!!! You might want to look into a torque-sensed pedal assist kit. Doesn't R&E do a step through Rainier...is yours?
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    luv the bramble...great city bike!!! You might want to look into a torque-sensed pedal assist kit. Doesn't R&E do a step through Rainier...is yours?
    I know nothing about e-assist, only that it exists, so thanks for the terminology! I googled it and learned a ton. I also have the information of a guy locally who will do e-assist retrofits, so I was thinking to start there.

I did notice an increase in step-through frames when I recently visited the R&E website. Mine is not, I have a traditional horizontal top tube. I do love step-through frames, though. My folding bike essentially has that feature. It can be a bit tougher to get my lock around both the rear wheel and enclosed part of the frame, though. Maybe I just need a different lock.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

That bike looks awesome. Wish I didn't live on a big hill!
    I commuted on my Guru with the pannier for the first time since April. I think I rode the bike once (a real ride, not a commute) once in May, so she's been lonely. I dusted her off last night and switched my front light over. This morning, I got a text from my boss, saying she was home with a bad case of poison ivy, so we couldn't meet for our weekly meeting; I didn't have to be at work until 11, but I actually left at 9:45, as it was getting hot and quite humid. To make myself go slowly, I wore commuter shorts and jersey, so I didn't sweat too much.
    The ride home was lovely, at 7 PM. Cooler (79) and breezy.
    Going to do a "dark ride," at 5:15 tomorrow morning. Left the Guru out on the front step, sans pannier, of course.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

It's my last week of vacation- I rode Sunday and Monday with a friend- about 32 miles each day but Sunday was a much easier ride- Monday we went back up the mountain and did over 4000 feet of climbing up to milepost 14 - Windy Point. The last two miles just don't let up- 5-7+% but we had cloud cover which really helped because it's a south facing slope. I had more in the tank, but not enough time and my friend was running out of water.

In some ways, the biggest challenge is carrying enough water because there is none along the road until you get to the ranger station at milepost 20.

I've decided to try to get out on the bike every day, upping the admittedly small distances (12 miles or so) I do so I can *maybe...* enter a sportif next year. But July weather here in Cornwall has been distinctly un-summery, heavy showers and strong winds. This coupled with the hilly moorland nature of where I live gave me cause to post my ride on strava as 'B***ard wind'! Whatever direction I cycled, and especially cycling uphill, there it was, blasting in my face, causing the most unladylike expletives and facial grimacing. At one point, I had to get off and walk.

And to cap it all, my phone lost the satellite connection half way round so the route, timings and mileage are all up the creek. Sigh......

The forecast is better today though, the showers will clear off this morning but the breeze remains at 19-20 mph; I might hit the road again this afternoon and try a more sheltered route.

On a brighter note, I had a medical check up Monday and the doc said her tests showed I have the lungs of a 30-year old (I'm 61) so the cycling's keeping me fit :-)

Sounds like tough riding, Kernowcyclist.
    I went out at 5:15 AM yesterday, as strong thunderstorms were predicted at the time I normally would leave work, so I didn't want to commute. DH rode out with me, for the first 3 miles, as he wanted to get to work early. I did a 15 mile ride, including the other hill in town. It's a very ritzy neighborhood, with a double hill, kind of a circle on top of the hill, with 3 houses and a monument on top. After that, I rode my regular early morning route, which is pretty flat, except for the return up my street. Funny, I hardly saw any other cyclists, while last Tuesday, I saw so many riders, it was like a Saturday morning.
    My ride was nice, but I felt like I was sleeping through it!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    ... including the other hill in town. It's a very ritzy neighborhood, with a double hill, kind of a circle on top of the hill, with 3 houses and a monument on top. After that, I rode my regular early morning route, which is pretty flat, except for the return up my street.
    Crankin' - trying to picture where this is...

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Nashawtuc Hill... if you go right at the light at Thoreau St off of Main.
    It's also a loop hill, like my street, but I usually go down another hill on the back side of the loop, and ride around some of the other streets to add miles.
    I am sure you've been up here!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Oh - yup! Now I know where that is. Have definitely been up there, but don't ride up there much.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com