Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee surgery

Knee surgery

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, it's all set for July 24. My knee needs 'fixin' after the bad fall in March at work. It will be a scoping plus a lateral release. The Ortho is great, he does a lot of work on professional level athletes (he operated on Peyton Manning's knee).

It sounds like you are in good hands. Best to get it done and then move forward.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Sorry you have to have it done, but glad you're getting quality care.

Electra Townie 7D

All I can say is I am very thankful for Workman's Comp - that does decrease the stress for sure! And...people still get hurt on a regular basis in that same area

Hoping for a quick recovery (although everthing seems to stall when we are healing) and that surgery goes well.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

I am storing up knitting supplies, good books, and advice from my coach about what I CAN do with my kettlebells when I am out. And, yes, I will listen to my PT and doc about that as well. Apparently I won't ever be "non-weight bearing" which is good. AND I live in a 2nd floor walk-up but they promise stairs won't be a problem. I have to accept that I will loose conditioning during my recovery period, but my knee is deteriorating. Time to do something about that.

It's also good that I don't have a built bike or I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to ride before the surgery - even though I shouldn't ride at all for reasons other than my knee... All I can do is to sigh when I look at my frameset, which is a good thing!

Hope all goes well.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Well, it's all set for July 24. My knee needs 'fixin' after the bad fall in March at work. It will be a scoping plus a lateral release. The Ortho is great, he does a lot of work on professional level athletes (he operated on Peyton Manning's knee).
    Had a lateral release when I was 16. Hopefully it will be a quick recovery!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Had a lateral release when I was 16. Hopefully it will be a quick recovery!
    I hope so as well. Apparently there is a huge variability involved with this specific surgery and there is no predictor regarding how long healing will take - and how long it will take me to experience the full results/relief from the lateral release. May it be sooner than later - but I have to try. It would be difficult to have someone better do the work, just a pity that I need more than the scope...

So knitting projects are being set aside, books, audio books, etc., and thinking about what I will be able to do in an attempt to lose as little conditioning as possible. I've a ride HOME from the surgery, just have to figure out how to GET there. If nothing else I will call Urber, been wanting to try them out anyway.

Glad to hear that you have such a great Dr Catrin! I'm sure that you will bounced back quickly and will be determined to PT. Enjoy your time knitting, reading, etc... that time will go fast and you'll be back training before you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    Glad to hear that you have such a great Dr Catrin! I'm sure that you will bounced back quickly and will be determined to PT. Enjoy your time knitting, reading, etc... that time will go fast and you'll be back training before you know it.
    I hope you are right! I made the mistake of reading a couple examples of others who have had the scope/(chondroplasty?) + lateral release and their recuperation. I should have known better, I really should have. Everybody, and every body, is different. Now I need a memory wipe so I can relax for the next 3 weeks :-)
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-06-2015 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I hope you are right! I made the mistake of reading a couple examples of others who have had the scope/(chondroplasty?) + lateral release and their recuperation. I should have known better, I really should have. Everybody, and every body, is different. Now I need a memory wipe so I can relax for the next 3 weeks :-)
    Exactly. I did a massive amount of reading and research prior to my knee replacement, peoples results varied from horrific (losing their leg) to astounding (up and running a marathon in six months). Like everything else it's a bell curve, I wish I was recovering faster but I'm just at a different place on the curve than some other people.

Electra Townie 7D

I tell my clients that I am banning them from reading about medical/psych issues on line!
    People who write on those sites don't usually share stuff that is good.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I tell my clients that I am banning them from reading about medical/psych issues on line!
    Reminds me of my mental health days, you always knew who owned their own copy of the DSM IV.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    True story! My gyn finally told me to stay away from Dr. Google
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse