Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee surgery

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    no more drugs is GOOD!!!!....nice wrap, LUV the color! has focusing on knitting helped in taking your mind off the healing process?
    It does help and then I wind up with a nice warm wrap. I hate being cold in the winter...and I am also new, I just learned this last winter. The yarn was actually purchased for another project and it got repurposed when I decided to use another yarn for my sister's shawl. It IS a nice color, though I likely wouldn't have chosen it for myself. I think I am really going to like it though

Quote Originally Posted by creationsbyuli View Post
    Lovely knitting!! I'm a big knitting enthusiast, too. Healing thoughts for your knee after surgery. I'm new around these forums but might as well jump in.
    Welcome and certainly, jump in the pool
    Last edited by Catrin; 08-07-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Catrin,
    Once the swelling goes down I will be interested to hear if you ended up with a "dimple" I have a pretty prominent one from my lateral release. Of course people say they don't notice unless I point it out but I am somewhat self conscious about it. It on the outside top of my left knee where the tied the ligament
    Funny, I have the same thing, but on the right knee from my lateral release. Mine is very noticeable.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Catrin,
    Once the swelling goes down I will be interested to hear if you ended up with a "dimple" I have a pretty prominent one from my lateral release. Of course people say they don't notice unless I point it out but I am somewhat self conscious about it. It on the outside top of my left knee where the tied the ligament
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Funny, I have the same thing, but on the right knee from my lateral release. Mine is very noticeable.
    Interesting, did they do both of yours via the scope or a full incision? Mine was the latter, though I understand some do it through the scope as well, so he used both techniques on my knee. Thankfully my patella is back to where it should be, now the real work begins in PT to balance out all of the muscles so the patella will actually stay where it is supposed to be.

mine was scope. I already had railroad track scars from my first surgery in 75. The Lateral Release was in 98. Happy to say the Patella has stayed in place. Now I have other issues - such is life
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Interesting, did they do both of yours via the scope or a full incision? Mine was the latter, though I understand some do it through the scope as well, so he used both techniques on my knee. Thankfully my patella is back to where it should be, now the real work begins in PT to balance out all of the muscles so the patella will actually stay where it is supposed to be.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

mine was scope. I already had railroad track scars from my first surgery in 75. The Lateral Release was in 98. Happy to say the Patella has stayed in place. Now I have other issues - such is life
    Glad the patella has been obedient since then! Sadly my knee has many other issues that can't be solved without a full knee replacement, but I am a long time away from THAT. Hoping that this will allow me to add even more years before that might become necessary. I don't expect to return to trail running, but between my kettlebell lifting and hiking I've sustainable activities that I hope will serve for however many years remain for me! VERY glad I didn't allow him to do that patella realignment surgery he wanted to do.

I had mine done via scope in 86. They also had to make a separate incision because I had a bone fragment floating around in there that they took out.

My lateral release was done because my knee cap kept popping off my knee to one side. It continued doing that even after three surgery, but not nearly as often.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I had mine done via scope in 86. They also had to make a separate incision because I had a bone fragment floating around in there that they took out.

My lateral release was done because my knee cap kept popping off my knee to one side. It continued doing that even after three surgery, but not nearly as often.
    Yikes! Glad it calmed down a bit - but 3 surgeries! My sympathies. My patella was very comfortable where it was, it was just a very long distance from where it was supposed to be and in a strange angle. Women are more prone to this than men because, I know it will come as a surprise, we are built differently. Now it is where it is supposed to be hopefully we can persuade all my muscles to work properly together to keep it there. Even today, from what I've read, lateral releases done through an incision rather than the scope typically have a better outcome. Except for when they don't, it isn't as predictable a procedure as some are.

Things are improving, I am walking more naturally now and driving shorter distances :-) Hopefully back to the office by the end of August!

Glad to hear you are moving along in healing. Hopefully, you are not going crazy with boredom.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Glad to hear you are moving along in healing. Hopefully, you are not going crazy with boredom.
    Thanks! Knitting, reading, Netflix, seated kettlebell work and NOT THINKING ABOUT WORK is getting me through

How's it going?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    How's it going?
    Things are improving The knee now actually resembles a knee, and I can now walk for 10 minutes or so at a time, albeit slowly. I CAN walk longer but there are consequences. Hoping to get back to the office in a week or two as it would be nice to start returning to something like a normal schedule! Working hard on my PT exercises so I can get back sooner than later. Thanks for asking!

Things are improving The knee now actually resembles a knee, and I can now walk for 10 minutes or so at a time, albeit slowly. I CAN walk longer but there are consequences. Hoping to get back to the office in a week or two as it would be nice to start returning to something like a normal schedule! Working hard on my PT exercises so I can get back sooner than later. Thanks for asking!
    slowly 'or hopefully faster' and surely 'or Shirley' you'll get there. .....your positive attitude certainly helps!!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Glad to hear it! Hope you keep making such good progress.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

And I saw my Ortho today, I return to the office next week

And I saw my Ortho today, I return to the office next week

....well there seems to be a 3 character rule for posting....but then more smiles are good
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron