Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee surgery

To disable ads, please log-in.

Catrin, I'm horribly allergic to tape so my surgeon used this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Medipore-H-...xgy_121_text_y It was amazing, no blistering and peeling around the wound, and I could keep using at it the same place instead of playing jigsaw around the sore spots.

Electra Townie 7D

Thanks Pax! No blisters and so forth, thankfully, just very ugly colors, itching and some light burning. It was very obviously not bruising, though that is starting now. I think I'm in pretty good shape all things considered, through for some reason I wasn't expecting things to be happening behind my knee. Well, of course there is, don't know where that assumption came from Regardless, looking forward to meeting some friends for dinner in a nice Greek restaurant very close to where I live in another week and a half, hopefully I can drive by then

Thankfully I can handle good old-fashioned gauze - both the vaseline soaked and plain varieties - and the compression sock/tight/thing holds it in place. Things are improving though the skin problem put off PT for a week - but I get to start doing LIGHT exercises this weekend

So what am I doing to keep my hands and brain occupied? Netflix becomes less attractive as I get to cut back on the drugs. I am going to try to share this picture I just took from Instagram and crossing my fingers that all of you can see this Can't seem to actually post the picture but the link will work. If anyone knows how to do this from Instagram or Photos please let me know!

BTW, this is only my second knitting project. Ever!

Nope, the picture doesn't show... and here I was, all excited to see what knitting on drugs would yield.

Electra Townie 7D

So the link didn't work? Let me retry this

Okay, how does this link work? https://goo.gl/photos/GzvbpXsSrVQaCkJJ9 I've given up trying to post actual photos here, I used to be able to but it no longer works for me.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-30-2015 at 12:57 PM.

I am in awe you can do that on even minimal drugs. My mom was a serious knitter (she made me winter coats when I was a kid), worked in a yarn shop, and taught others. But, she couldn't teach me! It sounds like things will be getting better quickly.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

It is an easy pattern that groups series of knit and purl stitches in repeats. I can even work on it while watching (well, listening) to a movie. I just learned how to knit 3 months ago as an alternative form of hand therapy for some pretty severe arthritis. It has done wonders!

Ortho was hopeful today, the complicated part of my recovery is the lateral release, but I think once the inflammation goes down that things will get much better. The knee is HUGE right now, which they say is normal with the lateral release and not having anyone at home to do my fetching and carrying, so I am up more than I really should be.

Why am I getting a mental image of those tests that they did where they gave spiders different drugs and photographed their webs?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

You made me laugh out loud Oakleaf It will eventually be a very long and warm wrap. The yarn is a Merino - silk blend and this style of knitting goes back to some fishing village. I love the visual, and tactile, texture which keeps my brain engaged to get it right. It is considered an easy pattern...and the drugs might help!

How is the recovery going?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    How is the recovery going?
    The dressings-allergy thing really put things back, I am not as far along as I should be, sadly. However the stitches are out, I start PT Thursday, and my knee is only 3 times it's normal size rather than 5. I actually drove my car across the parking lot to the dumpster today to dispose of a box and it went fine - so things appear to be on an upwards swing. I am still not cleared to drive, but I figure they have to err on the strong side of caution on this (and I've a manual transmission). I figure I can drive when I can get in and out of my car without my knee complaining - as it stands I COULD drive short distances, say a mile or less if I need to do so.

Thanks for asking

So I continue to improve, no more drugs, physical therapy has begun. This wrap is about 30% completed, and will obviously require some intense blocking when the time comes. It WILL, however, be quite warm! How could it not be, it is a merino wool/silk blend It won't be done before I return to work - at least I really hope so! Photo is interesting, parts of the pattern in this image appear to be reversed but that is not the case. Odd, but that doesn't much matter. I noticed a similar, yet different, oddity in the original photo I posted.

Last edited by Catrin; 08-07-2015 at 11:40 AM.

no more drugs is GOOD!!!!....nice wrap, LUV the color! has focusing on knitting helped in taking your mind off the healing process?
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Lovely knitting!! I'm a big knitting enthusiast, too. Healing thoughts for your knee after surgery. I'm new around these forums but might as well jump in.