Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Craigslist: Deal a little TOO good?!

To disable ads, please log-in.

What do you guys think, 54 cm Trek Madone, Project One, so probably custom paint with full Dura Ace. Low miles. Two sets of wheels.

Price: $985.00 or best offer.

Does that sound like a stolen bike to you? A lot of info is missing for such a good bike, especially from the tag line. They don't even say what year. And the price is far too low. The 912 area code is Savannah, GA, but the listing is Hilton Head, SC. Not far away at all, but Savannah has its own CL space, and bikes are more numerous in Savannah.

I'm wondering if I should report it. And to whom, or if I'm over-reacting.

http://hiltonhead.craigslist.org/bik/5071383747.html

Opinions?
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Well… they don't say much about it, so it's hard to say if it's really under priced or not. It could be upwards of 10-15 years old. A newer model might be quite pricey, but an old one wouldn't be worth a huge amount. I can't see too much - the photos are too small, but the cables don't have internal cable routing, so it's probably at least what - 5-6 years ago when Dura Ace changed?
    Last edited by Eden; 06-30-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I didn't think to look at the cable routing. But it is a good point. The Project One is Trek's version of custom, so I would think that is underpriced. I just found it odd when most bikes go for more than that around here.

I showed it to someone I work with who used to race, he remembers a team that was outfitted with that bike, maybe around 2008 or '09. He felt it could go either way.

The lack of detail on the pics made me wonder, too. Plus the lack of bike geometry provided. Usually, the higher end bikes have the specifics on the add.

I suppose it's probably legit. anyway, nice bike.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I think you're putting too much emphasis on the custom paint. That's the kind of thing that has value only to the original purchaser. A realistic seller wouldn't factor that into the price, as much as they might want to.

No idea on the rest of it, though.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I think you're putting too much emphasis on the custom paint. That's the kind of thing that has value only to the original purchaser. A realistic seller wouldn't factor that into the price, as much as they might want to.

No idea on the rest of it, though.
    By the paint, I just meant I can't go to bluebook and figure out what year it is.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!