Before I bought my condo, I noted a nice wall cabinet in the bathroom. After the settlement, the cabinet was gone and in its place was two ugly towel bars. The sellers lived out of state and had rented it out for years, so I assumed the last renters had taken it, and maybe they had put it up themselves. I didn't say anything about it because I was too focused on replacing the harvest gold stove from the 1970s and painting over the matching harvest gold tile backsplash in the kitchen. And replacing the dryer that took all day to dry my towels. And ripping down the awful wallpaper in the kitchen. Did I mention the sellers hadn't actually lived there for years?

(Years later I'm finally having the bathroom gutted and completely renovated. The new custom vanity will be delivered on Tuesday, along with a matching wall cabinet that will be nine inches deep. I can't wait to have all that extra storage space. And it will be partially recessed in the wall, so it won't stick out much more than the type of cabinet you can buy at a big-box store.)

I can't imagine pulling a bait-and-switch with the appliances if I ever sell this place. If I want to take anything with me I will have it replaced before putting it on the market, or make my intentions clear up front and offer a discounted price as a result.