Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Study: Helmets do not degrade with age and use

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://bhsi.org/up1505a.htm

I'm honestly stunned by this. You may remember I've vigorously defended regularly replacing helmets, because I've found LOTS of old styrofoam cups just crumbling, beads separating from each other, when doing river and forest cleanup. But the testing seems plenty extensive.

Guess I'll be keeping my current helmet for a while.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Wow, that is surprising. Guess I can no longer use that as an excuse when I simply want a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeDutchess View Post
    Wow, that is surprising. Guess I can no longer use that as an excuse when I simply want a new one.
    I'd still use it as an excuse
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Some years ago I contacted Louis Garneau after replacing a helmet, to ask if I should just throw the old one away. I was surprised when they got back to me to say that the old L.G. helmet should be just fine and I didn't need to toss it even if it was 7 or 8 years old. I still have it as a backup, although it's not as good a fit as the Specialized helmets I replaced it with.
    The first of the Specialized helmets did break up after about 5 years, but not in the foam section. Rather, it was the plastic holding the nylon straps to that helmet body that disintegrated. Built in obsolescence, I suppose.
    Queen of the sea beasts

That's fascinating!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Apparently the aroma of a helmet doesn't count in the study's determination of "deterioration." A couple years of sunscreen and buckets of sweat, and I'm happy to call a helmet done...
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

Haha .... I do miss the old white Bell helmets' removable/washable/replaceable pads!

You can wash the whole thing in the sink with dish soap. But yeah, the last motorcycle helmet I replaced was barely of an age I would've replaced it before reading this, but the liner was completely deteriorated. If I'd known, I might've spent the extra money for one with full replaceable pads!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by khg View Post
    Apparently the aroma of a helmet doesn't count in the study's determination of "deterioration." A couple years of sunscreen and buckets of sweat, and I'm happy to call a helmet done...

Exactly!!

My current one isn't stinky yet, but I need a new one because my hair is big enough now to make it not fit right anymore.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I am such a head sweater, that, even with cleaning, I have to have 2 helmets. If I don't rotate, it's ugly. The one i wear more always gets crapped up on the straps and the inside pieces. We do keep a supply of the replaceable pads, because with my sweat, they always start getting loose and disintegrate. I've only replaced one helmet for a crash, the rest all for just age/sweat/smell.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport