Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

summer has officially started

To disable ads, please log-in.

I celebrated the summer solstice by doing a standard 40 mile ride this AM. Although I started out early and was off the road by 11;00 AM I still had to strip in the garage, wring out my clothes and socks and wrap everything in a beach towel, already soggy from me having dried myself off with it first, and carry it all into the house without dripping all over the floor. I still left white sweat rings all over the garage floor. Todays real temperature was 88-94 with a feels like temperature during the ride going from 94 to 102.

This does not bode well for summer riding.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Man, marni, that's hot!!

I'm so glad summer is here but also a little sad. It's so nice to see the sun set around 930pm here and know it will get earlier and earlier from here on out.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

We did our annual Gettysburg meander yesterday, a 60-ish mile ride that includes a spin through a fair amount of the battle field. Much of the rest of the route is through shadeless farmland, and as usual it was hot and humid. I was wearing my Cool Wings and brought an extra water bottle so I could stop periodically to pour water on my arms to try to cool down.

I bought a Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad (cooling towel) a while back but hadn't had a chance to try it out yet.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/chilly-pad-8207.html

I tossed it in my bike bag before I left home yesterday, and when we finished the ride and returned to the park where we started I soaked it with the remaining (warm) water in my water bottle and put it around my neck. It did make me feel better. I had a long drive home, and stopped along the way to get some dinner, and the towel was still cold and damp when I got home. I had some heat rash on my legs so I put the towel on them while I drove to see if it would help.

I'm thinking about getting something similar that can be worn during a ride, around my neck or maybe on my head.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles