Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

A little accountability

To disable ads, please log-in.

I’m getting a little annoyed with myself for not riding because the weather “isn’t good enough”. I really believe that we in Michigan are going to have a cooler and rainier/greyer summer than usual, and I can’t wait around for the sun to come out. We’ll have some sunny days, but they probably won't be in the majority. So starting this week unless it's actively raining or there's some exotic weather warning posted, I'll be going out for a ride four or five times a week. I'll post them here for accountability's sake.

Monday, 6/15: 4.36 miles in 29.5 minutes, 8.9 mph. Overcast, 73 degrees, 76% humidity, wind W 5 mph.

Tuesday, 6/16: 5.32 miles, 35 minutes, average 9 mph. Mostly sunny, 70 degrees, wind N 14 mph, humidity 59%.

Thursday, 6/18: 6.74 miles, 47 minutes, 8.62 average mph (including pauses for photography and spill recovery). Overcast, 71 degrees, wind W 7 mph, 85% humidity. Today's ride was enlivened by this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18926179692_63c7887e5c_o.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	17664
    I'm pretty sure that's a bittern, out for a morning perambulation and waiting to cross the road from the bike path. She stopped all traffic, then flapped nonchalantly across. Traffic waited until she was well across to get going again -- lots of smiles in the cars.

Also I had my first spill on the way home. I should have gone to the corner of the intersection, then crossed straight across, but there were no cars and I skimped the turn. Coming up onto the path across the road, I got too close to the edge of the sidewalk, slipped onto the grass, and down I went. I must have tried to get off my bike before it fell completely over, but didn't quite manage it. By the grace of God I just missed landing in the road. Picked myself up, checked for cuts or scrapes, checked the bike, remounted and rode off. I have a scrape on my knee that'll probably bruise up before too long, but both the bike and I are intact. I rode the rest of the way home. I'm grateful my first fall was so minor!

Will post again tomorrow.

8.69 miles, 1:01 hours, average speed 8.54 mph. Mostly sunny, 71 degrees, 44% humidity, wind ENE 6 mph. Absolutely perfect weather!

It seems my little spill yesterday had more effect on the bike than I thought. I was taking it out this afternoon and discovered the back tire completely flat. I guess I was lucky to be able to ride home. I'm actually scheduled for a basic bike maintenance class next Thursday. But my first spill led to my first flat, and I needed to learn NOW. So I took it to my LBS and they let me watch them disconnect the brake and take the wheel off (1962 Schwinn, no quick release) and showed me how to change the tube. At least I'll be semi-prepared when my next flat happens.

The back tire was in good shape when I got home from my ride, but I'll watch carefully. I think I may need some tire liners -- the trails I'm riding are mostly gravel and I suspect that's what caused the flat. Mr.Tuffy has been recommended to me -- does anyone have any other favorites?

It looks like you're getting some good rides in.

Did the mechanic give you any info on what caused the flat? Typically you check the inside of the tire very carefully to look for anything sharp that might still be embedded, ready to puncture the new tube.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Mr Tuffy can help....also correct tire pressure (I think 45 on an original schwinn hollywood S7 rim/tire, it should be on the side of the tire), a good rim strip and like ny biker writes also carefully look for anything embedded after a flat. When putting any liner in remember to not have it overlap at the stem. Put the middle of the liner over the stem so any overlap is opposite it. For tires ...an original hollywood S7 rim has a wider bead seat diameter than a regular 26 1.75 tire. Kenda use to make a correct sized tires for all the S7 and other schwinn rims and still should.

Enjoy learning more about maintenance…it’s one of those things that can help in feeling more positive self-confidence in riding....and congrats on the longer rides!!!!!! keep going girl
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Monday, 6.22: 10.93 miles, 1:12 hour, 9.07 average mph. Per RunKeeper, a total climb of 1,040 feet. (The climb graph on the link page is very impressive to a newbie). Weather: 79 degrees, partly cloudy, wind S 12 mph, 59% humidity. No big birds today (last Thursday's sighting turned out to be a sandhill crane), but I did see a couple of bunnies and chipmunks, a couple of nervous starlings and a small turtle hellbent on getting across the trail. He was moving pretty fast!

ny biker: The mechanic did check inside the tire, all the way around, but he didn't seem to find anything. If it was a sharp pebble, it might very well have come back out of the tire tread. Should I be cleaning out the treads when I get home?

rebeccaC: I've been checking the tire pressure each time before I go out -- these tires say 50 lbs, and our pump's pretty new so I think I'm getting the pressure right. Thanks very much for the tip on placing the tire liners!

Thursday, 6/24: 7.96 miles, 51 minutes, 9.27 average mph. Overcast, 73 degrees, wind S 4 mph, humidity 48%. I had planned on a loop through a nature trail at the top of my route, but it turned out to be pedestrians only. (Rats.)

This evening I go to that basic bike maintenance class at Performance Bike. The mechanic I spoke to said it would be hands-on, not just lecture. Really looking forward to this.

Friday, 6/25: 11.62 miles, 1:15 hours, 9.3 mph average speed. 73 degrees, partly cloudy, 55% humidity, wind ENE 9 mph.

Tried a new route today. I thought there was paved bike path all the way along, but the path is interrupted for half a mile or more. The paved path was on the left side of the road, so you ride facing traffic; when the interruption comes (and there's no notice of it), you're riding on the wrong side and it's all sand and gravel -- not the most comforting surface. I kept thinking that the path would pick up again shortly, so I foolishly stayed on that side. And cars are just rocketing along the road. I'll do that loop again, but I'll cross to the other side when the path ends. And since the path picks up again on the other side, that's where I need to be anyway.

All told, a pretty good ride.