Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: GoPro

GoPro

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anybody use one of these? I just bought one with a little money from , um, the thing I'm not supposed to be discussing anymore. Mainly I wanted it for documenting any future interactions with motorized vehicles which turn out to be harmful to my very tender body and psyche. It is kinda overkill to use it for that purpose, but it is a cool little gadget, and wasn't actually very expensive. I just tried it out yesterday on a tandem ride with DH on the Centennial trail and was surprised by the quality of the images. They are huge files, though. Four segments of a 35 mile ride turn out to be nearly 2 Gigabytes EACH! I should probably discard them, but it is rather pleasurable to re live the ride. How do you deal with huge files like that? I suppose the novelty will wear off, and it will be no trouble to delete the files as they come in...

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

i use a lacie 1 tb external hard drive for all my photo files. i open my editing software and import the original dng's to a monthly folder and in then in a separate folder save the post processed images....keeps them off my laptops hard drive.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Thanks Rebecca! I just ordered one from Amazon. It should be handy to have all my images on a separate drive when this laptop goes T.U. as well.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

Ditto what Rebecca says. I rarely use my go pro for biking, but I do save all skydiving video and keep it on an external hard drive as she describes. I never regret keeping video - only ever regret deleting it when I decide I needed it later.

They are big files! Even when I set it to the lowest resolution.

I made DH dig out his old GoPro and bought a youth-size chest harness on sale at REI for running. I wanted to collect some evidence for my observation that drivers target fixate on me way worse when I'm wearing high visibility clothes, than when I'm wearing something less conspicuous. But instead, what's happened so far is that of the three times I've run with it so far, drivers have given me MUCH more room than ever before! Not a big enough sample size to draw any conclusions from yet, but very interesting. I don't know whether to think that they deliberately pay more attention to their driving when they know (or think) they're on camera, or whether it's the simple fact that the harness breaks up the conspicuity of my jersey, making me a less attractive target. I'm very curious now to see whether this persists over time, or whether it was just a fluke on those few days.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I bought the accessory kit with the camera and it came with lots of different mounting options, including 2 straps for mounting it on your head (want one?), handlebar,helmet and chest mounts. I tried the helmet mount with an extender since Brian said he didn't want me to shoot two hours of his butt. It looked weird, I will be the first to admit, and elicited a lot of puzzled/vaguely hostile looks while we were riding on the trail. I could see it drawing a lot of attention (possibly not so positive) on the road. I'm STILL tired from that ride, but when I do go out by myself, I'll use the handlebar mount on the recumbent. It seems very unobtrusive, mounted underneath the handlebars. Brian actually found a camera that looks and functions as a tail light and installed it yesterday for his ride this morning. Recent events and general trends in driver behavior have made us both very paranoid! (although, I thought we were already pretty paranoid about dangerous drivers...)

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Some of those cameras on helmet can have a bit weight... My partner has one....more on cycling routes occasionally.

Hope you enjoy the camera.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Some of those cameras on helmet can have a bit weight... My partner has one....more on cycling routes occasionally.

Hope you enjoy the camera.
    I didn't notice the weight too much on the helmet when riding on the tandem, but think I prefer it mounted to the bike, since there is a lot less movement of the camera that way. I finally got around to riding the recently repaired recumbent last evening and have a nice little extended montage of the less than savory side of Everett: Homeless dude with mostly consumed liter of white wine, emerging from the black berries to berate me for being on the trail "at this hour"; car full of young men pulling over onto the trail (which is just the shoulder of the road at that point) to let a passenger lean out and violently spew; new graffiti; stashes of beer cans; young people up to no good in the bushes...

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    I didn't notice the weight too much on the helmet when riding on the tandem, but think I prefer it mounted to the bike, since there is a lot less movement of the camera that way. I finally got around to riding the recently repaired recumbent last evening and have a nice little extended montage of the less than savory side of Everett: Homeless dude with mostly consumed liter of white wine, emerging from the black berries to berate me for being on the trail "at this hour"; car full of young men pulling over onto the trail (which is just the shoulder of the road at that point) to let a passenger lean out and violently spew; new graffiti; stashes of beer cans; young people up to no good in the bushes...
    sketchy and the graffiti sounds interesting to me

you know, the monthly ride, 2015 ride picture threads or a new video's of the month thread would be a good place for peoples video's
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    sketchy and the graffiti sounds interesting to me

you know, the monthly ride, 2015 ride picture threads or a new video's of the month thread would be a good place for peoples video's
    I'd have to figure out how to edit it then, wouldn't I?

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    I'd have to figure out how to edit it then, wouldn't I?
    there is a free 30 day trial of adobe’s video software ‘premiere elements 13’ and you can buy it off the adobe site for $70 at the moment. I have a friend that uses if for her mountain bike go pro videos and she really likes it and says it's easy to learn.....and if needed there are lots of youtube videos for instruction purposes.

there is a free 30 day trial of adobe’s video software ‘premiere elements 13’ and you can buy it off the adobe site for $70 at the moment. I have a friend that uses if for her mountain bike go pro videos and she really likes it and says it's easy to learn.....and if needed there are lots of youtube videos for instruction purposes.
    Oh heck! I'm even having trouble getting the images imported from the device. A progress bar pops up and cycles endlessly without result. I can only get to the files with the gopro studo software, which will only let me import one segment at a time (no thumbnails, no dates) and I can't tell what I'm importing. I am hopeless at this kind of stuff.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

Did a ride with my friend this morning and she said you might set the go pro for 960p if your laptop isn’t a 1080p, or 1080p 30fps if it is. She hooks the camera up to the computer, clicks on the file she wants to import, saves the file as a mp4, moves the saved file to an external drive and then opens elements, imports it from the external drive and edits it. Once the original is on the external and the edited version is saved to it you can delete it off the computer. You’ll need the external plugged into the computer to do any later editing or viewing. She also said go pro support 888 600 4659 m-f 6am to 8pm weekdays or 7am to 4pm sat/sun can help walk you through importing and editing in the go pro software or elements or for any other problems. Hoping things work out in a way you can share videos with us ....look at it as a learning journey...

Did a ride with my friend this morning and she said you might set the go pro for 960p if your laptop isn’t a 1080p, or 1080p 30fps if it is. She hooks the camera up to the computer, clicks on the file she wants to import, saves the file as a mp4, moves the saved file to an external drive and then opens elements, imports it from the external drive and edits it. Once the original is on the external and the edited version is saved to it you can delete it off the computer. You’ll need the external plugged into the computer to do any later editing or viewing. She also said go pro support 888 600 4659 m-f 6am to 8pm weekdays or 7am to 4pm sat/sun can help walk you through importing and editing in the go pro software or elements or for any other problems. Hoping things work out in a way you can share videos with us ....look at it as a learning journey...
    Thanks for that information! My computer hasn't been the same since the upgrade to windows 10 last week. My son told me that it was marginal in it's capacity to accommodate the upgrade, so it's probably not 1080p (not that I know what that means or even how to find out...) Might be time for a new one. The external hard drive arrived and there was goo oozing out of the box, so I sent it back.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba