So... I was on vacation in Colorado recently, and I borrowed my sister's bikes when I was there. Road bike, fine, she has a Specialized Amira, which was nice, but I prefer my current ride, however her mountain bike... different story.

I am currently riding a Giant XTC Composite, S. It's a 26" wheel, super-light carbon framed bike, which climbs fantastically, but scares me to death on descents, to the extent that I often get off and run next to it! Sis has a Specialized Rumor Elite, M. I tried it out in Winter Park, on some fire roads and single track, including some stream crossings (early season) and I felt comfortable on it. the 29" wheels rolled over obstacles like they weren't even there, and it didnt feel as heavy or cumbersome as I'd expected, even on the climbs. I gained in confidence on one ride, and thoroughly enjoyed myself, whereas previous MTB outings usually leave me feeling glad to have survived.

So to cut a long story short, as the thread title says, I just bought myself another bike, but now I'm doubting myself... I didn't test-ride any others, it's a 29" not a 27.5" and I've only ever ridden 26 before last week. My lbs here in CH said that that the 29" would be what they would recommend me, and that the girls that race for them they tend to put on mens' Scott bikes, which are 29". We looked at the equivalent Scott (Genius), and decided that the spec/price was better for the Rumor, and the fact that I'd ridden it tipped the scales more in its favour, but I'm worried that it's too heavy compared to my current steed, (which weighs 10.8kg in reality, this one is 12.6 on paper) and that I don't really need the full suspension, that 27.5" might have been a better choice and mostly that I should just have got better and used my other bike...

Do any of you have good things to say about the Rumor Elite, or 29" full-sus in general? Help me convince myself I've not made an expensive mistake!

And also, name suggestions are welcome - my current bikes are called Eric and Fred (Road bikes), Modi (The Giant XTC mentioned above) and Arthur, an old hard-tail I use for riding around town.

I'll post pics of it when it arrives anyway, early next week they said.