Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm sitting here wearing my new Revel I usually run errands in the morning, but I was getting a little antsy this afternoon. So I went to one shop to try the Bell again. It was fine, but I needed to return the Giant to the LBS. The couple who run the shop are so nice and I really wanted to complete the purchase from them. It became a toss-up between the Revel and a Louis Garneau. I could wear the LG women's fit, but not the Giro. That allowed me to try the Garneau youth helmet. Same fit/style as the women's, just different colors. The Garneau won for color, but the Giro really was a better fit (adult universal, not women's). Once it's on my head, I'm not going to see it, anyway. It's shiny black with a greenish/turquoisey flower design in the back.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    That sounds like a huge NO to me.

I know it's typical to fudge the fit on bici helmets, a lot more so than with moto helmets, but I have a feeling that's just because people don't take head protection as seriously when the maximum speed is "only" 50-60 mph as when it's 100+.

A helmet should fit snugly and uniformly everywhere it's in contact with your head. A finger's width would be way too much to me. I'm kind of disappointed the shop personnel let you out of there with that helmet. Remember the basic test for helmet fit is, when the straps are properly adjusted and comfortable, can you rock the helmet in any direction? A couple of millimeters' give is needed for comfort, but any more than that is protection you won't have in a crash. When you try to rock the helmet, the skin of your scalp should move slightly with it.

I haven't tried on a Giant helmet, but I've got a very "long oval" head, and what fits me is Specialized. Lazer are still too "round oval" for me. I'm told that Uvex helmets fit similarly to Spec', but there's no place near me that carries those, either.
    I've never tried a Specialized helmet, but just bought a new Uvex helmet which fits my head nicely...I was wearing a Bell that I realized was kind of crappy fitting (had the issue of being able to slip a finger between the helmet and the side of my head as described above) so decided it was time to upgrade. Talk about a major improvement in fit! As an added bonus, it was 50% off at the shop.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    Personnally, first area I get way too hot is my head. So it needs something that air can go through easily.

I tried different helmets and I had been told that the Catlikes are the ones I would probably prefer the best for this. Not the nicest looking ones, but they do amazing job and are super light.

Based upon this recommendation I bought a Catlike yesterday. I went to a new bicycle shop last week, and saw them in person and it seemed to fit so I purchased it yesterday. It is pretty light, although not shockingly so (my other helmets are mid-range Bontranger and Giro). I haven't played around with the fit (they come with different padding options to customize the fit - I have no clue whether I have a round head or an oblong head) but it doesn't move too much and it does seem amazingly light and cool. My only issue so far is that the helmet comes pretty low on the back of my head so I haven't figured out exactly where to place my ponytail to make it most comfortable :-)

ahhhh ponytail... it is an issue with this helmet. For me anyway. Not ponytail-oriented. That is the thing I miss about my Spec helmet that was made for women with specific hole for a ponytail.

But I do have to wear a higher ponytail, and pull it through a place where the whole is bigger. I have to loosen the dial to the max and then pass my tail and than re-tighten it. It does the job and I'm still very happy with this Catlike helmet. I don't feel it, keeps my head cooler and since wearing it, I have not flushed (heat) from head and face. Reached the goal I wanted from it.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

I just got an email from Team Estrogen that all Catlike helmets are on sale 20% off (no coupon needed). You know - just in case anyone was convinced by the rave reviews on this thread!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I ended up returning the Revel (unused). I happened to stop in at an out-of-town bike shop that had a whole pile of Specialized helmets. It was a eureka moment. I learned what a good fitting helmet should feel like. The women's model didn't fit too well, but the men's and youth did, leaving me with many color choices. I still haven't decided.

You can buy water repellent helmet covers for wet or cold weather, if that helps. So you buy the most ventilated helmet you can find for hot weather and then just put the cover on for fall and winter.
    One thing I'd love to see on helmets is a detachable clear face shield like you see on some specialty time trial helmets. Add a tiny wire and battery for defrosting and you'd have the perfect "windshield" for winter riding. No more having to claw your glasses off at an intersection because they suddenly frosted up when you had to stop!
    Queen of the sea beasts

I'm reviving this thread with a question. I think I (finally) found the helmet I'm going to keep. I bought and returned a few during the holiday season. The one that's now sitting on my table seems very well ventilated. When I stand in front of the mirror, I can see light coming in through the vents. But that also means the sun will be coming in. I don't like direct sunlight. Even though I get warm pretty easily, I don't wear racer back jerseys and rarely go sleeveless. I like sun protection. Is this a concern with the wonderful ventilation?

I actually have two helmets here now. One is the well-ventilated road helmet, the other is a nice MTB helmet. Both good end of the year prices. Maybe I should just keep them both

Well I have seen bald pro-cyclists with tan circles on their foreheads from where the sun gets through their helmet vents. My hair covers enough of my head that I don't have a similar problem.

There are a few companies that sell summer helmet beanies made of thin wicking fabric. You could try something like that. TE carries them. They're low on inventory right now as they haven't moved to the new warehouse yet, but I would expect them to get new stock in soon for the spring and summer. Another brand that TE does not carry is Head Sweats.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

+1 on that. I've ridden with a couple of men with shaved heads, and they always wear a bandanna or a lightweight beanie under their helmets. It depends on how much sun you get through your hair, I think - if you have thick dark hair with no parts it's one thing, but if your scalp burns if you go outside without a hat, then it will burn under a well-ventilated helmet too.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Well, my cat moved into the helmet box so I guess I'll have to keep it

I've certainly seen people with bandannas and beanies, but wasn't sure if that was for sun or sweat. In any case, I have thick hair, so hopefully I'll be protected. I really do think I'll keep both helmets. With the end of season pricing, it's almost not worth the return shipping, and they're different enough from each other that it would give me the opportunity to see which style I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    but if your scalp burns if you go outside without a hat, then it will burn under a well-ventilated helmet too.
    I'm in the sun burn without a hat group despite seeming to still have full coverage of hair. (This was an unexpected result of aging! The color got lighter - and gray - and I assume the amount of hair thinned out.) However, I haven't had sun burn problems when wearing a helmet. I think the helmet is thick enough that the openings only pass sunlight from a narrow range of angles. Normal movement while riding keeps changing the angles. Thus any portion of the scalp only gets sunlight a small fraction of the time.
    Laura

I'm in the habit of always wearing a cap under helmets. Plus, there's a lot of awesome caps out there:Cat Camo hat I brake for donuts

Edit: I don't know why I can't get links to work here, but google "Icksnay cat camo hat" and "ellum bag works donut", haha

Another option would be a Buff, since beanies and caps might not work with thicker hair. One of my friends wears a bandana under her helmet because it helps tame her hair.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles