Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 miles!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Could have been a wind factor too. Whenever I am just cruising along enjoying myself I try to remember to do a wind check (look for flags or simply turn around and ride a couple hundred yards) let's me be realistic so I don't run out of steam if I am doing an out and back
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Wow congrats! 20 miles is my goal for this season (my first season riding). So far, my max has been about 13 1/2. What's your next goal?

It really depends on your diet whether you need to supplement salt or not, especially for rides under two hours. If you're eating salty snacks and/or salting your regular food, you may not need extra sodium supplements in your drinks. You can do the old trick of weighing yourself nude before and after a ride - that will give you an idea of how much water you've lost via sweat - and then figure that you've lost 500 to 1000 mg sodium in each liter of sweat. That varies from person to person, and for any individual, it varies depending on how well acclimated we are to the heat - conserving sodium in sweat, while sweating more heavily, is one of the ways we acclimate.

If Gatorade tastes salty to you, it could be your body telling you your sodium level is okay. Heat stress by itself can cause a headache even without dehydration. When the weather's this hot, you can freeze your bottles ahead of time and have cold water for at least the first 45 minutes or so of a ride, which really helps cool your body. Try just plain water and see whether that helps.

Congrats on your milestone!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I am not sure but I will say just increase it by 5 miles every week...I really just enjoy exploring my city by the way of my bike. It's pretty fun. The summer is turning out to be beautiful so why not!

I have nothing amazing to add, just congrats on your first 20m! I actually did my first over 20 ride yesterday and can so relate to how it feels.

Wow, 20 miles is GOOD! And you're so right, riding makes us happy. It frees us and relaxes us and gives us time for *us*.

My longest round trip so far is about 15, but there are some fierce hills en route, so I sort of count that as the equivalent to 20 ridden on the flat ;-)! Like you I'm just learning the value of proper hydration. It's only now I've started to make use of my water carrier and this week for the first time i added some tablet to my bottle to replace electrolites (I have no idea what they are but they're good, so DH tells me) and boy I needed that water as I gasp my way up those hills. I must remember to drink plenty at home to keep hydration up. We just got a fridge freezer with a chilled water dispenser in the door, which I've found a great incentive to drink more water.

My next goal is to do 25 miles. Life got in the way of me riding consistently like I was. I rode 10 miles this morning and boy my buttocks is tight..I love riding!

Quote Originally Posted by qcuthbert View Post
    My next goal is to do 25 miles. Life got in the way of me riding consistently like I was. I rode 10 miles this morning and boy my buttocks is tight..I love riding!
    If you're interested, there's a 23-mile Oxon Hill club ride on Saturday morning at a C pace (10-12 mph avg) starting in Indian Head. PM me if you'd like details.

Life has gotten in the way of me riding consistently, too, and all this rain hasn't helped. I did manage to get out for a while after work on Tuesday.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Way to go- just keep riding and adding a little more. Terrain, heat, energy- all kinds of things can affect your speed. Keep it up - and all that advice about hydration, electrolytes and nutrition are good.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    If you're interested, there's a 23-mile Oxon Hill club ride on Saturday morning at a C pace (10-12 mph avg) starting in Indian Head. PM me if you'd like details.

Life has gotten in the way of me riding consistently, too, and all this rain hasn't helped. I did manage to get out for a while after work on Tuesday.
    Yes ma'am. I would like the details on this club

Great job! Take that advice about hydration and electrolytes seriously. On to your next milestone!