Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Salsa, I don't know if this is the picture you meant- the other two from the Cobblestone are out of focus. I don't even remember who the guy was with his arm on my shoulder
    Cobblestone session by Sharon Goldwasser, on Flickr
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Here is a link to a compilation of some pictures from my trip to France. A few are from our time in Paris, the rest from cycling in the Mt. Ventoux area.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevem...7655185791465/
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Crankin,
    Beautiful picture. The one I like is number ending with 44. Love the twirl in the curve. Thanks for sharing your album.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

We spent 4 days (was to be 5 but returned home a day earlier from camping due to heavy rain in forecast) in the Burlington, VT area. Decided to come home a day earlier as it is no big fun riding back in a motorhome when pouring and windy.

We went in Colchester, VT and brought our cross bikes. I knew Vermont is "hilly" but did not expect to be that hilly. hihi

Anyway, we left campground and rode the Crux to the Champlain causeway, took the 1st ferry and then rode back to campground. We wanted to do the 100km ride but opted to shorten it because of the hills. A guy told me to take the 2E (there are back roads but we don't know the area too well so we stuck with known roads - no GPS as our phone service for data is not working in USA unless we buy a very expense data pack) would be fairly flat. My GOD! Flat is not the same language at my home and in VT. haha It was non-stop hills.

It was hot, sticky and I did not want my knees to hurt the next morning as we wanted to ride some more. Since we do not know the area very well, we stayed on 2 East for the return. Lots of traffic, some road parts are not well taken care of but overall it was good. I never fell scared or afraid as vehicules were always careful and the width given to cyclists is great.

I did all the hills but one as I missed my shifting from big to small cog and I lost all my speed and could not gain it back. My dumb blonde moment of the day! We did about 50km of hills (my 2nd experience with major hills) and I think I did very well. All my winter training is paying off for sure. The only hill I walked up was that missed gear one. So very good for me.

The Causeway is all gravel. Some people told me road bikes with their narrow tires could go there. No way I would have rode this part - which is long - with our road bikes. The rocks are too big. I did not see any road bikes anyway there. In some area of the Causeway, there are major, and I mean, major, potholes. I cannot imagine ram into one with a tiny tire. I did by "accident" hit one and it was bad. But such a beautiful trail and sight. I did it once and probably enough for hubby and I. Would not redo but should be done at least once.

Here are a few pics of that ride. This is the Causeway. The gravel part is nice in the pic but it is not always like this. Trust me...there are big potholes in some areas. Glad we had cross bikes for those ones. hihi

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helenevelo.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	17691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lake.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	17692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piste.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	17693

The next day we were to go ride again but decided that our 3 dogs needed a walk. So we took part of the bike path and walked them 2 hours. Did I tell you Vermont is hilly??? haha. Even my dogs were dead-tired by the time we took them back to the motorhome.

The following day we decided to ride in the evening as it is much cooler in early evening. So we played tourists in Burlington. What a nice little town with all the shops in the downtown core. Loved it.

Of course...there are hills everywhere, and I ended up with big toes blisters from wearing the wrong walking shoes...so no riding. arggg. We were too tired anyway.

But this is our mini vacation and it was a fun outing.
    Last edited by Helene2013; 06-28-2015 at 01:21 PM. Reason: corrected typos
    Helene

Helene, Crankin - thanks so much for sharing. I loved your pictures.
    Crankin there was one near the end of the set that was beautifully composed.

This is a very enjoyable thread to follow
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Here is a link to a compilation of some pictures from my trip to France. A few are from our time in Paris, the rest from cycling in the Mt. Ventoux area.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevem...7655185791465/
    Lovely trip, Crankin!

Looks like a nice ride, Helen. Great bike.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 06-28-2015 at 10:30 AM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Thanks for posting your trip photos, Crankin! What gorgeous views. Makes me want to go back to France...

Helene, love your trip report and photos as well. Hope your blisters will heal fast.

Helene, there is no part of Vermont that is flat. I mostly x country ski there, but I've done 2 cycling trips there, and even without doing the gaps, it's hilly.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I checked the gaps you just wrote about. I would NEVER do this, but in my car. haha

For those interested, check the link and video in it.
    http://www.northeastcycling.com/six_gaps.html
    Helene

salsabike, luv the blackbird/heron encounter image/story....my only having manual focus makes me think blurry can be artistic
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

My brother just gave me a Lumix DMC-LX100. After many years of using a simple cheapo snapshot camera (a Canon, which gave surprisingly good results but lacked manual control), it's a revelation. I used to have a bevy of canon SLR and all the lenses and used to belong to a Camera Club but when motherhood came along I had more than enough to carry about without camera stuff, hence the compact. The Lumix is fantastic, but I'm still getting used to it, so give me a space and I'll post a few pics from rides.

There's an ancient neolithic stone quoit near where I live and I think one of my first trips on the cycle with the camera will be to see what I can make of that. :-) I'm very lucky to live in one of the prettiest, wildest and most ancient places in Britain.

az, love that pub picture!

Yesterday my dad and I rode up to Artist Point on Mt Baker. It was a stunningly beautiful day, which I tried to capture in a couple photos. (I have a few more on my Flickr page--clicking a photo should get you there if you're interested.)

I also did a little write-up for my blog--TLDR version is that bike riding is fun!
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

I hope this thread doesn't replace the monthly ride thread. I like describing my rides to you all, but I do not usually take pictures.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by khg View Post
    Yesterday my dad and I rode up to Artist Point on Mt Baker.
    great photos and blog write up khg!!!! i rode up to mt baker when i was in bellingham last year and it was every bit as beautiful as your photos suggest.

eta...and congrats on your dad for doing that ride....between this post and an earlier one about your rides with him makes me smile at the connection you two have ...and his living healthier, longer and happier!!!
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 06-30-2015 at 07:21 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron