Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Specialized Cyclocross crux 2015

To disable ads, please log-in.

This thread started there with a question I had between 2 bikes and I ended up with another one.
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=54705

I ended up buying a frame in the USA as I could not find the colour I wanted in Canada. Took the frame to my LBS and he set it up with Ultegra.

I picked it up last night. WHAT A BIKE! I'm in love with the look of it anyway. Much better looking than my Amira SL4 Expert road bike. Not the same type of riding but going just for looks... this Crux is a winner.

I have not even tried it yet, but for the fitting done last night.

We still have a few things to install on it at home, like bell, lights, etc. I am waiting for the wheel stickers I ordered to come in by mail. The wheels/tires were all black and this is just too blah for us. So I found a site that had nice slogans. It will be fun.

Still planning on riding it tomorrow. Will target a 60km ride (this is shorter than our "ususal" 100km ride) because I know it will be harder to pedal on gravel due to gravel, weight of bike and the bigger wheels (I think they are 32) will slow me down some.

I will post a new pic once I have it all set up. The only one we took was when the bike was at the bike shop being prepared.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	velo.jpg 
Views:	4147 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	17643

The handle bar tape (not on the above pic yet) looks gorgeous and feels good as well. Not grippy like Lizzard skins and I'm perfectly fine with this.

So more to come when I try it for real. Hoping not to be dissapointed. haha My husband has one too (a white one), in Ultegra as well and he did test drived it 2 weeks ago and says it is very performing and barely sees a difference between a road bike and a cyclocross. Said he needed just a tad more power to crank up the speed but other than that, he loved the ride.

oh... for those who like to know about prices, it came way more expensive than buying stock because I purchased the frame in USA. Store made it at $879 and in Cdn it came up to 1231$. Last night it costed me $2700Cdn but it is in Ultegra, includes my Specialized Speedzone speedometer (very basic as I did not want the whole shabang) and a Topeak rack and trunk bag. So nearly 4000$ for a "2nd" bike. I never wanted to pay that much for a bike. But when I saw the frame colour...that was it!!!

If I had bought a stock bike that came on Shimano 105, it would have been $2000+15% taxes...but hey... one life to live and I'm not gonna carry that money in the grave! But then again, my "recreation" budget has been busted for the next year. hihi But hey!!! I'm happy....hubby is happy...nothing else is needed...but pay for the bike now. hihi
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Hey! No stress for the Lizard...my husband is sold to them. To me, they are too grippy. I love the feel but not being "glued" to them. I need to feel my hands "slipping" when I move them. Maybe with the Crux I may change my mind...and if they had colours like I like, I may have gone for them but so far their choices are limited.

You'll see that the pink/blue ribbon truly fits with the bike. I thought it would be too much at one point, but nope. And the shop installed it differently than in the previous pictures used for promotion. So the top is one colour and the drops are one colour (instead of opposites). I really like it.

We opted for tire threads that are not as "grippy" as we are not going to do mud stuff. At least will avoid at all costs. So they will be an in-between between my road bike Gatorskin and the true rough cross tires. I'll let you know the feel once I'll come back from my ride tomorrow. And the shop told me to use about 80-90psi in it for road and if I'm going rough, I can go down to about 70psi. I will adjust as I get used to it and how I want to feel the road/comfort.

It is crazy how we can get overboard when purchasing! Just too easy. Blah! I did not want to regret my purchase or say "I should have put Ultegra before taking it out of the shop"... making changes after purchases is always so costly. So for $500 extra, I was able to switch from Shimano 105 to Ultegra. Would 105 be good. Of course. But since I tend to keep my stuff for a long time, in the end, it is a better option. Time will tell...
    Helene

Very cool bike!

My second bike was a good bit more expensive than my first. (Well, it would have been had I bought it at retail price; I had an employee discount at the time so it came out about $200 more.)

And I completely agree with you about going with Ultegra rather than 105. But then again, you're in the wrong place if you wanted anyone from discouraging you from spending on a bike...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

So true Owlie! lol

Yesterday I did a 40km ride to test-drive. It was so hot and very very windy and hot and wind with me are not a good match. So I shortened the ride.

The bike is awesome. I could not really see any difference yet between this one and my Amira. When I asked for speed, it kicked in. I was still able to hit 30km/h with the wind in the back but going up a small slope. I did not feel tired either. But it is much heavier. I had a rack in the back and since my husband is lighter than me, and stronger than me, he moved it to his bike. So our weight so be "balanced" and fair. hihi

We're going to try again today. Still will be hot but minimal winds.

Very happy with my purchase so far. No regrets.
    Helene

Did a second ride yesterday. Just as impressed as the 1st one.

Hubby now has the rack on his bike and I did not really feel the weight off. Of course, I could not really kick into speed as the winds were still there but we enjoyed our ride and can easily get a 30km/h when the wind helped me.

We went to cheer 1000 cyclists (a challenge of 1000kms in 3 days only selected clubs can attend) stopping in our town before heading into Montreal and 2 of those female cyclists had to stop (they were slowing down) and tell me it was an incredible looking bike. I know...that is why I wanted the frame so much and spend all my money on that bike. haha
    Helene

Congrats again! How much does your current wheelset weigh? That makes a big difference...

Since it is the "pimped" bike, look at this bell:
    http://www.spurcycle.com

I'll take some credit for nudging you towards this frame.

You're funny. hihi

I have the bell already, but cheaper...no budget left. Lol. I need to get to my community box to pick it up...just too lazy today. It is a Mirrycle Corp Incredibell Bellini Bicycle Bell in black. It is the same model as the one I have on my Amira but smaller (new design).

No clue how much the wheel set weighs but the other day I had the front wheel in my hand and surprisingly it was not that much heavier than my American Classic. But of course they come hydraulic disc brakes so hard to tell.

But for sure, when I have a chance, I'll try to figure a way to weigh those 2 bikes and see the real difference. Just out of curiosity for myself. I would not be surprised that the Crux weighs twice the weight of my Amira.
    Last edited by Helene2013; 06-16-2015 at 02:44 PM.
    Helene

I went into a shop today and there on a rack was a bright blue and pink Crux. I thought, "Oh, there's Helene's bike!" It's really beautiful. I hope you enjoy many miles on it.

Thanks. It is "flashy" for sure. Not a color-combo we see too often.
    Helene

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post

But for sure, when I have a chance, I'll try to figure a way to weigh those 2 bikes and see the real difference. Just out of curiosity for myself. I would not be surprised that the Crux weighs twice the weight of my Amira.
    Bike shops usually have a scale that allows them to hang the bike by the saddle and you get the weight right away. I doubt that it would be double the weight, not even close.

Thanks. Hubby is going tonight to ride with club and I'll ask him to inquire about a scale. I'm sure he'll forget but I do have to get back there by weekend with my Amira to have the cog guard installed on my Amira. It has arrived and is a beautiful pink (not barbie pink). It will fit perfectly with my American Classic wheels. yeah!
    Helene